Zep's gem'

Was that Howat Engineering in Lower Hutt you used? What did he charge you for cutting the splines? 

....I've got some CV shafts I need to get shortened and was planning to go see Brian about it eventually. 

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Adoom said:

Was that Howat Engineering in Lower Hutt you used? What did he charge you for cutting the splines? 

....I've got some CV shafts I need to get shortened and was planning to go see Brian about it eventually. 

They were like $100 each to be cut, welded up (due to the dip in the axle after the spines), resplined and heat treated. Ridiculous!

• Like 4

• 11 months later...

Curious about the horizontal hiem joint on the diff, rather than vertical.

Probably not so much of a problem with the somewhat small amount of travel Im sure you have, but you're limited with the movement within the hiem outer, rather than rotating smoothly around its axis

18 hours ago, CUL8R said:

Curious about the horizontal hiem joint on the diff, rather than vertical.

Probably not so much of a problem with the somewhat small amount of travel Im sure you have, but you're limited with the movement within the hiem outer, rather than rotating smoothly around its axis

Yeah, I did wonder. I kinda left Tim to make some of these decisions for me considering building this stuff is his day job. Might be a good idea to check the articulation without the shocks in there.

It certainly does package nicely that way, if it's got enough travel. Which I'm sure it would. 

I've not seen this thread pop up for ages, and wow you've been doing some real cool stuff. 

Look forward to seeing how it all comes together.

22 hours ago, zep said:

Yeah, I did wonder. I kinda left Tim to make some of these decisions for me considering building this stuff is his day job. Might be a good idea to check the articulation without the shocks in there.

He's an off road guy right? I'd be pretty confident he's well aware of travel implications in this respect, I'd have relative confidence in his abilities!

Car is looking really great man, and sounds like you're almost at that light at the end of the tunnel stage, where you can focus on the quality of finish and putting things back together!

On 08/07/2023 at 17:09, Roman said:

It certainly does package nicely that way, if it's got enough travel. Which I'm sure it would. 

I've not seen this thread pop up for ages, and wow you've been doing some real cool stuff. 

Look forward to seeing how it all comes together.

Cheers mate!

19 hours ago, Snoozin said:

He's an off road guy right? I'd be pretty confident he's well aware of travel implications in this respect, I'd have relative confidence in his abilities!

Car is looking really great man, and sounds like you're almost at that light at the end of the tunnel stage, where you can focus on the quality of finish and putting things back together!

Yeah, he races a custom-built offroader in the weekends, but also does heaps of other street/track stuff, so I'm inclined to think it's ok.

It does feels like I'm almost there but also now comes some very expensive parts! And the engine build feels like a whole new thing to deal with. Some of the development that was happening over in Aussie with the new rockers has hit some hiccups and not sure I'll end up running them. But most of the other bits are easy enough. Oh, and the modded sump to finish!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Raizer said:

Pics aren't showing in your last couple posts, google isn't an image host for hot-linking.

Ah shit. I was copy-pasting, not hot linking. I figured the board was smart enough to create the image. Will fix it up tomorrow.

• Like 1

I'll never do a battery in boot again. 

I found the big cables to run a lithium battery to the boot, weigh more than the battery did. 

As close as practical to alternator and starter motor are the way to go I reckon.

Then just make sure there's somewhere to clip on to recharge the battery or jump start the car if needed. 
Up under the dash can get fiddly 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Roman said:

As close as practical to alternator and starter motor are the way to go I reckon.

Put it back in the engine bay haha. At least that way I'd have fewer cable to pass through the firewall.

2 hours ago, mjrstar said:

I reckon the 225s sit nice on an 8 inch rim. 

Unfortunately too late now! My only hope is that I can run 245/35s... Or pay to make wheels less wide, which no one would do.

Nankang AR1 are Actually made in 245/40r15 also;

205/50r15

586mm Diameter

225/45r15 

583mm Diameter

245/40r15

577mm Diameter

Personally I like the rears you're running shape...

Other option would be Nexen SUR4G (but nil stock in NZ) , There is some sizes listed in the about to be released Nexen N Fera Sport R, but none in stock in NZ.. I'd wager the AR1 would be the better option for you however

2 hours ago, CUL8R said:

Nankang AR1 are Actually made in 245/40r15 also;

205/50r15

586mm Diameter

225/45r15 

583mm Diameter

245/40r15

577mm Diameter

Personally I like the rears you're running shape...

Other option would be Nexen SUR4G (but nil stock in NZ) , There is some sizes listed in the about to be released Nexen N Fera Sport R, but none in stock in NZ.. I'd wager the AR1 would be the better option for you however

It looks like the SUR4G only comes in 225/45r15 and the N Fera Sport R have the same options as the AR-1s. Ideally I need a 235 in the rear to even it out.

My other thought is that maybe R888Rs in 225/50 might be a bit more even.

The 888s aren't really a wider cross section, I have a set on the back of my mazda but on a 9 inch rim... the only ones that are wider than advertised i have found are the Dunlop 03g, but these are not available in a 225 unfortunately.

I'd run it as is for the mean time, although I'd be interested in seeing a 245 on an 8.5 and the 225 on the 7.5 if this is an option? Or do you not have the real estate for such activities.

My Honda runs a 225 on an 8 on the front and a 205 on a 7 in the rear, it looks relatively in proportion.. well as far as a reverse stagger goes anyway..

18 hours ago, mjrstar said:

I'd run it as is for the mean time, although I'd be interested in seeing a 245 on an 8.5 and the 225 on the 7.5 if this is an option? Or do you not have the real estate for such activities.

I do have somone who will let me borrow a 245 for the rear. Real estate wise, the rear should be fine, at least on the inside. Can always panel the guards to make it fit. Front I'd need to check.