Zep's gem'

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I very much like the look of the black bumper in your photoshop. Doooo eeeiit. I too will be blackening my bumpers in the near future.

Also, could you do me a favour and measure the bolt spacing of your radiator on the gem?

I'm considering buying this for the 240z 'cos it has the outlets on the correct sides for the new engine and looks like it might just use the original mount points.

That radiator might have different spacing to mine. The Aussie Gemini radiators (and probably the 80s NZ ones) are not as wide as the early ones. But I can measure it anyway if you like. Looks like you drill your own mounting holes in that one anyway.

Thanks for the comments, gonna get it done.

Oh OK I see. From the measurements they give on trademe it looks like it'll be pretty close and then I can just drill the tabs as you said. If it's way off then I can just drill new holes in the car. No biggie really.

Might just buy the thing then...

Don't worry about measuring.

• 7 years later...
Just now, kyteler said:

Any reason why you've designed in paths of less resistance into your radiator mount (which will essentially act as a duct to direct flow)? 

@kyteler Literally the only reason why I did that was so it doesn't just look like a large piece of flat sheet metal. You are right, it will funnel air out the sides that will be more useful going through the radiator. Will close it up, and it makes it easier to put together anyway.

• Like 1

You know it.

I'm having second thoughts about whether or not it's going to work. I need to get the engine sitting in the bay to check the actual space I'm working with. Hopefully can do that after I get it this weekend.

The only other update is that I took a piece of chrome plastic trim to an electroplater to attempt to be de-chromed so I can have it re-chromed. This was in March. They haven't tried to do it yet. At least they haven't lost it.

Anyone have any suggestions for de/rechroming plastic in Auckland?

• 3 weeks later...

Cheers. It's a conundrum getting this paint off. Lots of things will get paint off of chrome, but I need to be careful that whatever I use doesn't touch any of the now de-chromed plastic! Should have removed the paint first!

• 4 months later...