coltspeed's 1973 Mitsubishi GTO

• 5 months later...

if anyone is interested here is what was required for doing the swap from a 4g52 to the 4g63t.

firstly it should be noted that the engine is out of a FWD sigma GSR, i chose the FWD engine because i knew the engine and my original gearbox would mate straight up(the RWD 4g63t wont).

you would need a set of RWD 4g63 engine mounts,exhaust and intake manifold, electric fan, efi fuel pump and fuel line and thats all!

first i put the mounts on the engine, then put a RWD exhaust manifold on. the first problem i encounted was that the turbo from the FWD had threaded mounts and they needed to be drilled out(easy) next i had to rotate the front cover on the turbo and had a crossover pipe made to suit. then i had to figure out how to mount the wastegate actuator, i just spaced it out from the turbo and made a bracket to suit. after that i replaced the oil lines for braided ones(the std ones are metal and wont fit anymore cause the turbo is now turned over 180 degrees.

next i put the RWD intake manifold on but found that the throttle body waterways were different so i just made a metal gasket(fixed). some of the starions actually use the same throttle body as the sigma so if you can find the manifold off this it would be perfect.

also bear in mind that depending on the AFM and throttle body type you would need the ecu to match.

ok i then put the flywheel and clutch from the 4g52 engine on. then i just plonked it in the car and bolted the engine in and the the gearbox on.

next was a efi fuel pump and fuel lines were connected and a fan was installed.

then it was off to the exhaust shop for the 2nd piece of custom work it needed. and that was due to using a FWD turbo(the flange is slightly rotated compared to the RWD one). if you use a turbo from a RWD then a RWD dump pipe bolts straight on.

then i wired it up and thats it!

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
Guest oldschool75

holy shit that car is fucking hot man i just brought a gto 74 ah man im in love with you car you can never sell that what colour red is that ???? can you send me sum more pic of it and can any1 else send me pic of there gto colt

Cheers

Read the Rules!!! Your not supposed to post in the project threads!!!