Scratches on my head...

WildPlumDx

hey just wondering i got a mate to take my head off and when he was doing it he scratched the head ahhh i'll post a pic coz i dunno the names of things it wasnt done where the gasket seals the head tho anyways heres a pic with circle where it is... will it matter !? cheers!

L200head.jpg

Guest Eddie W

On the valve it shouldn't matter a toss but aren't those scratches beside the valve? Still no problem provided they don't cross the gasket seal area or the valve seat itself.

Eddie

yeah nah it stops before it gets to the gasket seal area so sounds like i'm sweet cheers guys! but do have one more prob my matew took the cog off that the chain runs on at the top of the block that drives the valves or something !? he put twink on the cog and the chain so it goes back in the right place BUT i forgot bout this and took it out now i have no idea where it goes back coz the twinks rubbed off am i in the poo !? :?

oooh sorry yeah the rusty water stains in the chamber thing yup the two centre chambers are rusty like that just stained not pitted or nothing also you guys reakon the blown head gaskets gonna make my water cycle round my engine all good again coz it was just blowing out the overflow and not going thru the termostat at all

ok the timing on your cam should be on ...usually the cam sprocket only go on one way .. so long as u DONT move the cam gear that is probably the worst thing u can do ...and also make sure not to turn the crank either ...if all is right then it should go on ok ...i could be wrong though ...as for you headgasket ...yes looks like it was blown and this would be why water would have benn blowing out ...it wouldve let pressure into the system before the thermo opened so there would only been one way out ...

oooh sorry yeah the rusty water stains in the chamber thing yup the two centre chambers are rusty like that just stained not pitted or nothing also you guys reakon the blown head gaskets gonna make my water cycle round my engine all good again coz it was just blowing out the overflow and not going thru the termostat at all

the reason why the water was blowing out your overflow was because the compression was escaping into the water jackets thru the blown head gasket and pressureising the cooling system and blowing all the water out

Get her to watch her teeth! :wink:

Hey.

I doubt it will cause a problem but here's some info.

Pre ignition occurs when timing too late or mixture lean, causing hotter exhaust gases, causing hot spots on carbon deposits and sharp edges. These hotspots ignite the fuel air charge (next compression stroke) before or at similar time to the spark plug. This can cause two flame fronts to smack into each other creating a explosion type effect similar to detonation. Note the same thing can happen even without the late timing if the edges are sharp enough and in a high temp area.

Thats why i think you should make sure the edges of the scratch are not sharp. Other typical places for hotspots are on the valve perimeter where there is the sharp edge. So if there are sharp edges, somehow smooth them out.

Ps. detonation is where the timing is too advanced causing gases to expand before tdc which gives too higher pressures which cause self ignition (bang not whoosh)

CAUSES OF PRE-IGNITION

Carbon deposits form a heat barrier and can be a contributing factor to preignition. Other causes include: An overheated spark plug (too hot a heat range for the application). Glowing carbon deposits on a hot exhaust valve (which may mean the valve is running too hot because of poor seating, a weak valve spring or insufficient valve lash).

A sharp edge in the combustion chamber or on top of a piston (rounding sharp edges with a grinder can eliminate this cause).

Sharp edges on valves that were reground improperly (not enough margin left on the edges).

A lean fuel mixture.

Low coolant level, slipping fan clutch, inoperative electric cooling fan or other cooling system problem that causes the engine to run hotter than normal.