Alfadog's 1973 Nissan Skyline GT-R Replica

Alfadog

Here is my car pretty much as I acquired it in 2003.

build_01_thumb.jpg build_02_thumb.jpg build_03_thumb.jpg build_04_thumb.jpg

build_05_thumb.jpg build_06_thumb.jpg build_07_thumb.jpg

First thing I did was take off the boring/ugly steel hubcaps. With the plain black steel wheels I thought it looked pretty mean, but I had plans for larger, shiner things... :P

I started off collecting everything I could for the GT-R replica. There are many subtle differences including badging, interior and fender mirrors etc. and all of it had to be imported from Japan since most people go :? when you say "1973 Skyline GT-R" to them in Australia. Here are a few later pictures after a good polish. See if you can spot the differences!

build_08_thumb.jpg build_09_thumb.jpg

build_10_thumb.jpg build_11_thumb.jpg

The car now looks much different with flares and Watanabes. I will upload more pics as soon as I take them... but here's one crap one to give you an idea.

build_12_thumb.jpg

edit: made it 56k friendly!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Car is now 5-speed. Now it actually feels like a real car! Three friends and I did it over 3 days, spanned out over a week. It has a 280ZX clutch. I went overbudget a bit but that's ok, cos it's MANUAL!!! Now I don't have to be ashamed. Will try to make video soon if I can be arsed. Here are some old (December) VERY BLURRY, grainy as hell pictures I took with no tripod in the dark at 5am under my brother's apartment complex. Sorry about blurriness :( I blame the camera, it was new damnit! Still, looks good when they're shrunk down to size (see sig)

build_41_thumb.jpg build_42_thumb.jpg

build_43_thumb.jpg build_44_thumb.jpg

Yesterdy I painted the brake calipers.

build_40_thumb.jpg

Stainless steel trim is all off at the moment (you may have noticed in the pictures), in Brisbane being straightened and polished. Was hunting for 2nd hand trim in good nick pretty much since I got the car but it was never going to be good enough anyway so just went the whole hog. Grille is off too, want to get it re-painted.

Next I have to fit the centre console back on, as soon as I get all the boots for the shifter. Hopefully got a short shifter coming in soon too. Then get lovely new cam (opinions? I have no experience with this so probably sound stupid asking - do you normally fit a new cam, or get the old one adjusted or what?). Heaps more stuff to do yet... Still haven't got those damn GT badges. Might end up just modifying the C210 items, SIGH.

Oh yeah, installed some new Alpine splits in the front too. The old pods were absolute shite so I was eventually going to do it anyway. One of the speakers blew so I took the opportunity to replace everything. Looks hot now. Sounds nice too! Tell you what, if you want speakers installed properly do it yourself. My whole system is now totally installed by my mate and I - had to rip it all out and do it again. Should have got pictures of that too eh.

• 4 months later...