Bullitt's 1973 Datsun 160J SSS Hardtop

Bullitt

Heres what my project looks like

I only bought it in march this year and other than cleaning off the 7 years of dust from sitting in a barn I havnt done much on it

DSC04905small.jpg

DSC04908small.jpg

Couldnt be bothered putting the other mags on

DSC04911small.jpg

Check out the positive camber :(

DSC04919small.jpg

Hopefully back on the road in the next few months, once I start it wont be too bad, basically only needs painting and reassembled. At the moment its a case of time and money to do it, whats new there 8)

Discussion Thread //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/18163-bullitts-160j/?hl=160j

• 4 months later...

Probably about time for an update.

Decided I was going to get it on the road before I painted it, just so I could drive it to shops and get quotes etc

After spending a rediculous amount of time on it for what Ive achieved here is what it now looks like

DSC00629small.jpg

DSC00641small.jpg

DSC00639small.jpg

Heres one of the interior. Still a few things I havnt put back in it, but more than enough for a warrant so the rest can wait

DSC00643small.jpg

Now just gotta get electrics sorted (dipped headlights, horn and indicators dont go). Plus a tune up would be handy. Then itll be ready for a warrant

• 1 month later...

Well the car has been for its first warrant, which it failed (as expected) but it was all pretty minor stuff so now a week later its ready to be tested again which is happening tomorrow.

I ended up with a spare tyre so put it on one of my racing forgs to see how well they fit and I must say I love them, they fit the car perfectly and have the perfect amount of dish

DSC00674small.jpg

DSC00675small.jpg

DSC00676small.jpg

Thats a 185/60/14 on a 7" rim

• 3 months later...

Well the car is mostly completed now. Its still got alot to do but I was building it for the Dunedin Southern Festival of Speed street race this weekend just been. It made it there an back successfully so any future changes will probably be a few months away while I take a break from it

DSC00723small.jpg

DSC00815small.jpg

DSC00825small.jpg

Then to the stage its currently at

DSC00974small.jpg

DSC00956small.jpg

DSC00955small.jpg

DSC01013small.jpg

DSC01021small.jpg

Specs are

1973 Datsun 160J SSS Hardtop

L20B

L18 SSS Head (higher compression and larger valves)

CSL fast road cam

Twin 40mm Delorto DHLA

4-1 Extractors

2 1/4" exhaust

14x6 front and 14x7 rear Racing Forg mags with 185/60/14 Pirelli P6000 tyres

BRE 510 replica front lip

240Z Guard Mirrors

A pillar aerial replaced with centre mount roof aerial

Momo Super Indy Wood Rim Steering wheel

Momo Wooden gearknob

Clarion DXZ-746MP Headunit

Pioneer 6.5" Coaxial front speakers (to be replaced by 4" or 5.25" components at some stage)

Pioneer 4" Coaxial rear speakers

2 x Rockford Fosgate P18S4 subs

Rockford Fosgate P3001 monoblock Amp

• 3 months later...

Quick update. Basically nothing has happened since the above one. WOF has now expired and it wont get another one till its certed but I dont want to get that till Ive got the new suspension.

In the mean time I came across this pic (thanks Retro-Rides 8) )and hopefully this is similar to how itll look once its finally lowered

14m9axk.jpg

• 4 months later...

Well I took it in to get it tuned since it was running on 3 cylinders and not all together very well and they found this

DSC01290small.jpg

DSC01292small.jpg

Now Im not an expert on engines but that dont look quite right to me :lol:

For anyone who dont rember when I got my engine shipped from the northisland this happened in transit. everything other than the rocker cover looked ok but obviously its caused a stress fracture

DSC00811small.jpg

So next step is to pull the head and see what the damage is, I know its bent two valves, hopefully the piston is ok.

Any suggestions on a new cam? Figure its a good time to put a hotter one in it

• 2 weeks later...

Well my new head arrived today

DSC01295small.jpg

A87 SSS head. Although this is perfectly good the one I already have is better so Ill strip this one to make my other one whole again

Cant get a decent pic of the car to show the new height but heres what the rear is like now

DSC01299small.jpg

Due to the shadows it looks like theres a gap but follow where the outside of the tyre is and youll see its just inside the guards

• 2 months later...

Finally got my car back from having the engine in bits. Its going better than it ever has since Ive owned it so gotta be happy abou that, even if the $2500 bill wasnt so pleasant :cry:

First decent post-lowering pics

DSC01401small.jpg

DSC01399small.jpg

Now need to get it certed so I can bring it to wellington with me in 3 weeks

• 11 months later...

Well just to finish this thread off.

I sold this in August 2007 and it now resides in Dunedin

Since then the car has had the motor rebuilt (and hotted up alot more).

Turns out the motor that I bought as being rebuilt had been, however itd been done by a complete muppet

• *Top rings in upside down and cracked
    *7 thou of slop in the bores
    *New bearings on a worn crank
    *Bog fixing a hole in the timing case

Its also had the gearbox rebuilt

Had to be raised 30mm at the rear to get a cert as it was on the bump stops :cry: which has also removed alot of the negative camber.

Plus some other tidying up that I never quite go around to.

Heres some photos of the new engine:

datsun_engine_026.jpg

datsun_engine_031.jpg

datsun_engine_035.jpg