Joshs '72 Custom Capri

Josh

Brand new custom HD kevlar clutch and HD pressure plate :D Not cheap but will be very effective.

2614412_48.jpg

And more or less the intercooler mounting finished, just got tidy up the mounts, looks pretty nice and not to conspicuous

2614412_54_full.jpg

2614412_53_full.jpg

Well it was time for the engine to go in today, so hired out a crane and in she went, everything seems to fit in well, the pipe for the external will have to be twisted round to clear the brake booster but other than that its good.

Now off to the shop to get the intercooler piping made up, external piping and exhaust system made. Then wiring and out comes the engine and paint the engine bay/chrome some more peices (plenum, TB etc)

Looking pretty haggard at mo but heres how it looks at the moment:

2614412_57_full.jpg

2614412_58_full.jpg

2614412_56_full.jpg

• 1 month later...

Bit of an update..

Had a custom radiator made up, no pics of that at mo, made up of falcon etc bits.

Ordered new front brakes setup from burtonpower consisting of

Wilwood powerlite 4 pot callipers

2614412_22_full.jpg

Wilwood fast road pads

2614412_62_full.jpg

Red Dot grooved and vented discs

2614412_23_full.jpg

Tidyed up the diff, looks loads better than before:

2614412_61_full.jpg

Hour or two with a wire brush then gloss black:

2614412_63_full.jpg

Started adding a small lip onto bottom of front skirt so it lines up better height wise with side skirts etc, I just fibreglassed it up for shape, needs loads of sanding/bogging/shaping yet:

2614412_60_full.jpg

So other than that, the car has been at the exhaust shop, has full exhaust done now, only one muffler though so if its to loud will have to add a resanator or something.

Intercooler piping is 90% finished, just waiting on silicone bends.

And its currently residing at the auto sparkys and they are wiring up the computer etc.

Booked into paint mid - end July, they want it for a month, autosalon is on 20th of september, so thatl give me about 20 days to put the engine back in and interior etc after paint :?

Will get more pics this week hopefully.

• 2 weeks later...

New pics :D:D

Wiring etc + first pics with turbo/intercooler piping in there, looks fucking badass! Have the paint colour all sorted, same colour it is now but with a blue pearl, fully flips to a blue, is pretty sweet.

2614412_67_full.jpg

2614412_65_full.jpg

2614412_66_full.jpg

And heres the interior in a absolute mess, man ive got so much work to do before 20th september :cry:

2614412_68_full.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

More updates :D

Right well, I didnt want to touch the wiring so I had it professionally done and they have done a awesome job, rewired more or less the whole car and wired in the computer and what not, engine bay looks a lot cleaner now. Couple pics of computer and fuses etc mounted in passenger footwell:

2614412_69_full.jpg

2614412_76_full.jpg

All the intercooler piping is done, as is the pod filter piping, complete with racepro silicone joiners. External wastegate mounted up (note: plumbed back into exhaust not vented!)

I also ended up getting braided wiring for the oil/water lines for the turbo, and the oil cooler lines, looks really good, Il be ordering more for the brake booster/wastegate/BOV lines in the car once I measure them up. Pics of engine bay etc:

2614412_70_full.jpg

2614412_71_full.jpg

2614412_72_full.jpg

2614412_73_full.jpg

2614412_74_full.jpg

And a shot of the exhaust system, only one muffler throughout the whole thing so if its to rowdy Il get a resanator or such added in.

2614412_75_full.jpg

And finally, il pull out the engine this weekend and its off for a full respray on Monday, back in a month! While engine is out Il pull bits off it and gets them all nicely polished up and bumpers and a few things off to chroming. Everything is on track for the show in September at this stage.

• 2 weeks later...

Right well over the last weekend I unhooked everything and pulled the engine out, so many wires, got to remember where they all go!!

Engine coming out:

2614412_77_full.jpg

2614412_78_full.jpg

And the following Monday took it down to the panel/paint shop who got to work on it straight away. Shaving the aerial, FORD letters off boot (retaining letters in bonnet)and a few other little badges that were on it for a more clean look.

Heres the progress from that so far:

2614412_79_full.jpg

2614412_80_full.jpg

2614412_81_full.jpg

Got bumpers, door latches, window wipers etc all away being rechromed as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Well the car is almost done at the panel beaters, itl be done mid next week but im out of town working till week after so I have to wait to see it :cry:

Got more bits back from chroming, such as bumpers, door latches, engine bits etc

Anyway here are a couple pics of it in primer and a just a preveiw of the colour on the underside of the bootlid, looks so mean in the sun, cant see the pearl through the paint in that pic but damn it pops :D

2614412_84_full.jpg

2614412_85_full.jpg

2614412_86_full.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Fitted up new discs tonight, need a couple spacers before mounting the callipers on for good, look pretty bling compared to the old ones.

2614412_87_full.jpg

Paint is almost complete, ive had the car home for a week or so now so I could make progress fitting the engine etc while the painter was away on holiday, can go back anytime now to have the front skirt painted, mirrors fitted and yet to have a cut and polish.

Front skirt with the lip on the bottom, lines up with the side skirts better now:

2614412_89_full.jpg

Looks a bit like this now with the majority of the engine in with the chrome bits and what not, still quite a few bits to add in as you can tell. Ive more or less finished connecting the wiring side of it up, just have to bolt up the manifolds properly, clamp the intercooler piping hoses, run some leads and itl be nearing a fire up..

2614412_90_full.jpg

Lost my custom clutch fork and W55 release bearing which has fucked everything right up, if anyone has the carrier and/or the bearing for a W55 and you want to part with it, let me know!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Had a couple requests for updates etc so here a quick update.

Paint job is completed and Autosalon chch has been and gone and the capri won best interior, best piston engine and oldschool champion. Heres a couple pics from the show for anyone that hasn't seen them:

2614412_96_full.jpg

2614412_91_full.jpg

2614412_93_full.jpg

So basically the other night I got the starter motor in and it cranked over so was stoked with that. Now all I have to do really is pull the fuel tank out, get a return welded in and then mount the fuel pump and run run the fuel lines and it should be basically ready to fire up bar a couple more hoses to put in.

Brought a boost gauge, autometer c2 series to match the rest of my gauges etc.

The brakes I got from the UK which were supposed to "bolt on" are fucking far from it, I have to get some custom spacers and the mounts drilled out which is bloody annoying but nothing seems to be going easy with the capri!

Thats bout it for now.

• 7 months later...

Haven't updated for quite some time, mainly because nothing has been done! It's sat in the garage not going for about 1.5 years now, it was supposed to be a couple month engine conversion haha. So yeh, been slack/lack of money/2 morgages sucks dick.

Anywho, it's back on track now and coming along nicely. Have a custom clutch fork all made up and now have a working clutch, new oil cooler in and all mounted up, surge tank set up is almost complete.

Trying to decided on a diff to use currently also, thinking hilux or rx7 but also there's the V6 capri one on the cards, not sure at this stage.

Will update as more progress progresses with some pics.

• 5 months later...

Alright! So 2 years, 23 days after I pulled the old motor out to do a "couple month conversion" it's fired into life again. It's been so long, and now hearing it under the chatter of forged pistons and the sucking of a turbo is a dream finally come true :D

Unfortunatly it has no driveshaft just yet. Thinking I may have the driveshaft lengthened to suit the stock diff and get it tuned up on that and running because I don't have the money to get a custom hilux one made up yet.

Here's a really shit video to prove it's going, tried capturing the blow off valve hissing but digi cam was to average. It's running super rich but that will obviously be taken care of when it gets tuned.

th_MVI_0433.jpg

• 5 months later...

Picked up sweet new shortened hilux LSD diff from mate in chch who did it for me. Running disc brakes on rear now of the u12 bluebird type with EBC pads.

Test fitted it and shock mounts line up fine. Tramp bars have to be sent back to him to be made ajustable as they don't quite fit. And scored some new U-bolts off my flatmate to suit the obviously wider housing, just have to get new plates, or the old plates redrilled with the holes in correct position.

Then it's a matter of getting the handbrake setup which uses a completly different way to the standard capri one but a fucking way better way at that! a "u" shaped cable off each calliper then a single cable from the middle of that cable to the handbrake itself. The brakes I will just need a custom bit of hose made up from the splitter on the diff to the line that's already run under the car where the old bit connected to.

Fair bit of work to get into but I'll get there..

IMG_08242.jpg

IMG_08252.jpg

IMG_08262.jpg

IMG_08272.jpg

• 4 months later...

Small update, more for the sake of me keeping a timeline than anything else.

Couple weekends ago loaded it up onto the trailer and set off to chch where dropped it off at a mates workshop there where he is going to finish of some bits and pieces for me which I don't have the tools for. Then it's ready for a tune. Will probably get it certed and warrented while it's there.

Have a few days off work so going to go down to chch on wednesday and get a start on it, so with both of us doing something on it, hopefully it'll be done in the next week or so. Here's hoping, this shit's gone on way to long!

PIC_00542.jpg

• 1 month later...

More timeline keeping. We worked on it all Saturday and got it sorted and ready for tuning. Dropped it into tuners Saturday night, booked in for dyno tune on thursday. Fingers crossed everything goes to plan and I can go back to chch this coming weekend and take her for a spin!

Sitting on the ferry back from wellington and got a call from tuners. Capri spun up 195kw on the Dyno. Im so bloody stoked, was expecting 180 max. Will do big update with pics in a week or so with a video of it to. Taken just over 3 years to get to this point!

• 3 weeks later...

Well since the last post I have picked it up from the tuners and taken it for a spin and 3 years and one month after I took it off the road as a carby 2l and then last friday driving it again and a 2l efi turbo I just couldn't stop smiling. It is super fun to drive, no traction what so ever in first and second, what was once a tame car has turned into a wild beast and I couldn't be happier!

Anyway, reason for my post was to put up the dyno sheet. Turbo ran out of puff at 5100 rpm as far as I can tell, seems to have a really nice curve untill about 3600 rpm where it flattens real quick and then doesn't climb as nicely as the first bit. I welcome your opinions anyway.

capridynosheet.jpg

• 3 months later...

Well haven't updated in a while, had her in the 4s and rots show here in chch, picked up "best modified interior" which was quite happy with! Also had my mate take some pro photos of it the other night and they came out mint, so here they are..

22536_319925014561_677299561_3626235_5253296_n.jpg

22536_320625689561_677299561_3628840_5658420_n.jpg

22536_320625694561_677299561_3628841_6683555_n.jpg

22536_320625709561_677299561_3628842_4196214_n.jpg

22536_320625719561_677299561_3628843_238632_n.jpg

So yea, anyway, other than that have taken it for a few thrashes, still inprocess of getting it ready for cert etc, few things to suss for that, just about to swap in a bluebird handbrake lever to work with new handbrake setup etc. Once she is all road legal I intend on dragging it and hopefully putting a bigger turbo on it as I feel it could definately benefit from it..

• 1 year later...