Joshs '72 Custom Capri

Josh

**Updated mod list further down**

My 1972 Ford Capri, It started stock, now is being to something a bit different...

Mod List:

Engine: 2L pinto (was 1600)

Engine Mods :

2.25 inch exhaust system into a RAGE carbon fibre 4" muffler.

Interior :

Reclinable Bucket Seats

Aftermarket Gear knob

Aftermarket Pedals

Autotechnica steering wheel

New black carpet

Exterior :

Capri Front skirt

P10 Primera side skirts (modded to fit)

S14 silvia end caps (VS Style) (modded to fit)

Bonnet pins

2x Splitfire chrome cups

2x Splitfire chrome bezels

Splitfire water temp gauge

Splitfire oil pressure gauge

Plates [bACDWN]

Window tints

Full panel and paint

Suspension:

Front: Adjustable coilovers with Dobi sport comp springs

Rear: 38mm lowering blocks, 3" reset leafs and new struts

Wheels : Advanti Flash on 205/45 dunlop direzza

Mods between now and 4 & R nats 06 chch:

Mould a lip into front skirt and customise

Rip out gauge cluster and replace with full custom installed autometer or splitfire ones

Reshape dash

Custom door panels

Fibreglass work on certain things on interior

Moderate ICE install (nothing over the top)

Full custom interior retrim in possibly blue and white, but may change between now and then

Eventually (most likely not B4 4 & R) full respray in same colour, full debadge and shaved ariel

Turbo engine transplant

Lots more....

Below is a rough build up from when i first got the car to what it is now.

In paint/panel shop, getting well...paint and panel! (stock)

paintshop.jpg

After paint (stock)

Afterpaintjob.jpg

Afterpaint.jpg

Front skirt fitted

Sideview.jpg

Crappy stock interior (other than gauges)

Interior.jpg

Old tip, after i got the 2.25" put in (long gone)

Exhaustcloseup.jpg

Brand new rims. (I was carrying a step ladder with me to get into it) stock height.

Sidemags.jpg

When it was lowered with kings in front and blocks rear (replaced) Still to high.

lnd2.jpg

opendoors.jpg

8 MONTHS of work and walaa, we have the side skirts/end caps as described in the mods list. (nissan primera sides and silvia s14 caps) Also still running kings etc.

Picture001.jpg

Picture008.jpg

LESS THAN ONE WEEK before the 4 & R nationals in chch and the car was in this state, with all suspension out and all still in shops getting done.

blocks.jpg

blocks2.jpg

NEW RIDE HEIGHT!! Adjusties in front and 3" reset leafs/38mm blocks in rear and I have finally achieved my desired ride height sacked. Show pictures/ current pictures of how it looks at the moment.

good.bmp

Side.jpg

side3.bmp

side2.jpg

rearleft.jpg

b4b3860f.bmp

If anyone wants more pics, or info etc. add me to ur msn: josh@lowndvs.co.nz or just post up in the correct forum.

• 1 month later...

Just got back from mechanics to find out that the adj. camber/caster plates cant be fitted without a fair bit of modification, so contemplating weather or not i shud get them put in, waste of money buying them if i dont...

also it is running like a bag of shit, it can go back to him and he can tune it up coz im not happy with it AT ALL! Oh yea and anyone who knows why the throttle get stuck on, can u tell me how to fix it?! It damn annoying, coz it revs up by itself...

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Wellllll, i just went and got some 8mm spacers, and 8mm longer wheel studs for the front because this will solve my 'adjustables not winding down because the r hitting the tyre' problem. But first I gotta get the little lip inside the front guards rolled up so thatwhen the wheels get pushed out 8mm more it doesnt hit the lip, and after all that i can wind the adjustables down all the way.

Also my front springs r now captive, by adding in these stupid little minature spacer springs on top of the springs that are in there. This has however made the front end raise up by like 25mm, its damn disgusting, but all that will be soon sorted and itl be closer to the ground than ever before within a couple of weeks.

Just today, it has been in for a tune up and now it is not missin and carrying on like a bag of shit, its running excellent and how it should, very pleased with the outcome.

Cracked radiator the other week too, got it fixed, still leaking, water was being pushed out of the overflow, suspected blown head gasket, but it wasnt!! All fixed now and running smoooth.

• 2 months later...

OK well im going to post progress pictures along they way as i change my interior..so heres a couple to get started.

First ones are of my fibreglass speaker pods i made up..they may look shit now but when its all trimmed to the door panel as one it will look good...

pod1.jpg

This is the start of my new gauge install...im installing new autometer c2 series gauges in a custom panel which will fit inside the dash thats hooked round the gear stick in the second photo there. Also relocating the switches as seen the the original interior shot down to the center console.

Original interior (approx year ago)

Interior2.jpg

Just pulling the dash fasica off and removing stock gauge cluster.

dashone.jpg

More to come as progress err...progresses!

Side note..have ordered new rims..arriving in a couple months!

• 1 month later...

OK, update time.

Recieved my 6 autometer c2 series gauges, have started and almost finished new fibreglass gauge panel that holds 4 gauges, headunit and cigerette lighter. Couldnt fit the whole 6 gauges in the one panel, so 2 gauges will go down to the centre console along with the switches for wipers/dash lights that were previously located on the dash gauge panel, all fibreglassed in and painted same colour as car.

Will post pics in a new thread when all done as people wanted me to do a write up of the whole 'rip out old gauge cluster and completly replace' so ive been taking pics along they way and will do so soon.

Have adjustable track arms to go in front and will run negative camber (doesnt matter about tyre wear as doesnt get driven a lot) so the a can sack the front wheel into front gaurd for shows etc.

New rims are on, 17s, see avatar, running 20mm of spacers on front as they would not clear the 'winders' bits on the adjustables, so running the camber to get the tops back inside the gaurd.

Have 2x rockford fosgate amps 2x r.f punch subs and 2x r.f components on their way now, will have subtle boot install for shows etc, tidy up the boot and what not.

Just scored some 4-1 extractors off trademe tonight. Picked up a 'mild' ported head off RT the other Monday. Ordering a kelford fast street camshaft, Vernieer adjustable top timing gear, Ford 2000 rocker arm set and High performance single valve spring set off kelford while im at it. Hopefully get some twin webers soon as well.

Interior is booked in for full retrim at end of Janurary read: headling, seats, parcel tray, door panels, dash, and anything else you can think of. Colours are not 100% decided upon as of yet, but should look good :D

Whack a couple of more coats of clear on paintjob before april hopefully as well, time permitting.

And if you didnt know, im doing all this for the 4 and rotary nats in CHCH April '06 :)

• 2 months later...

Bit of an update:

Pics with engine out:

PIC_0024.jpg

PIC_0023.jpg

PIC_0021.jpg

OK so engine is getting put back together with standard carbs while parts for the dellortos arrive, so they will go on in couple weeks.

Suspension is also out at the moment while some work is done to the front. All the Autometer gauges should be installed as well.

Get it back Thursday/Friday all running again, goes in on MOnday to Have alarm/central locking kit etc. installed, then back to mechanics for final work on engine, electrics and suspension! Then its off to Patricks Autotrimmers in Chch!

Couple pics of engine atm..

PIC_0051.jpg

PIC_0052.jpg

The dirty old standard single carb and manifold let the look of it down a bit at the moment, but the dellortos look like this, and a shiny new manifold for them as well...

15468961_full.jpg

• 1 month later...

UPDATED as follows with new interior, motor, specs etc.

Car : 1972 MK1 Ford Capri

Engine : 2000cc SOHC Pinto

Engine Mods :

2.25" exhaust system

Dual 2.5" exhaust tip

4-1 extractors

Kelford Club race camshaft

Vernieer adjustable top timing gear

Ford 2000 rocker arm set

High performance single valve spring set

Ported head

Fully reconditioned Dellorto DHLA40 twin sidedrafts

Electric fuel pump

Racepro breather tank

Interior :

Reclinable Bucket Seats

Momo Gear knob

Momo Pedals

Central Locking fitted

Sportline steering wheel

Autotechnica boss kit

Black carpet

Autometer Fuel Level gauge

Autometer speedo gauge

Autometer tachometer gauge

Autometer volts gauge

Custom fiberglass gauge cluster trimmed in suade

Full custom Retrimmed backseat and reshaped

Retrimmed front seats, door panels, kick panels,

Headlining, Front and rear pillars, Parcel tray and Dash

In urchin Vinyl and midshale suede, walnut coloured carpet

Exterior :

Capri Front skirt

Custom fitted Nissan Primera P10 side skirts

Custom fitted Nissan silvia S14 rear caps

Splitfire 2 5/8�oil pressure gauge

Splitfire 2 5/8� water temperature gauge

2x Splitfire 2 5/8� chrome cups

2x Splitfire chrome bezels

Bonnet pins

Respray in custom Blue

All window seals and chrome replaced

Suspension:

Front:

Adjustable coilovers

Dobi sport comp springs

Adjustable track arms

Rear:

40mm lowering blocks

3" reset leafs

New struts

In Car Entertainment:

Sony CDX-F7700 CD player

2x Rockford Fosgate Punch components

Wheels : 17" TSW Kyalami on 205/40 Dunlop Direzzas

PIC_0006.jpg

PIC_0005.jpg

PIC_0004.jpg

PIC_0002.jpg

PIC_0010.jpg

PIC_0016.jpg

PIC_0018.jpg

PIC_0003.jpg

PIC_0002.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

So the bedford oil cap with the pipe coming off proved a coinsidence that it was a tempromental (sp) replacment as it came in handy...

PIC_0097.jpg

Racepro breather tank coming off the bedford oil cap pipe that was there, awesome coincidental find as it proved useful in the end!

Also $1300 later its fully tuned...

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

So yea, update time, had a day off today, so what better way than to commence the turbo conversion :D

Unbolted everything, hired me an engine crane, and took the old motor/gearbox/driveshaft out

PIC_0013-1.jpg

So have some parts away being chromed at the moment for the engine bay (thanks Amanda) and then sometime soon the car will go into the paint shop and the engine bay will see a lick of paint as well as the battery stand removed so I have more room in the engine bay/look better.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Well not much has been heard of the capri for a while so heres a small update...Will

provide some build pics later on but not many as only people helping in the build will

see it untill autosalon smile.gif

Basically its stripped out at the moment, no motor, gearbox, interior blah blah.

Reason for this is next week it goes in to get the gearbox tunnel cut to fit the larger

alloy case W55 supra box, as well as getting a custom cross member made up.

In another couple weeks it goes in to have gussets all welded into the engine bay and

to also have a hefty amount of seam welding done.

Sent away the clutch to have a heavy duty toyota centre fitted, not cheap at $700 but

its all custom.

Picked up a larger diff earlier this week.

New motor will go in temporarily to have everything de-loomed, dummy up clutch

cable, accelerator cable, il fit the front mount up, go get some bling piping made up for the intercooler and

pod filter. Oil/water lines for turbo blah blah the list goes on, basically anything that

needs cutting etc in the engine bay before it gets painted so theres less chance of it

being scratched when it all goes back in!

Umm the turbo on the motor will be biffed in exchange of a t3/t4, still researching

exact specs im going to run so cant go into anymore detail on that matter.

Yea so basically its an update of the things happening over the next month or two, still

a million more things to do before september, so fingeres crossed it all comes together

nicely, will provide updates as it progresses.

• 3 weeks later...

New stuff...

MSD Blaster II coil

Bosch 450hp electric fuel pump

Front mount intercooler

And I should get car back early this week with the gearbox x member made up, havent fully decided on clutch yet despite previous post due to the cost, going to look into it further.

intercooleretc.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

So... cross member for the W55 is all welded up and done, battery stand is cut out and a slight mod to the tunnel begind the hand brake so the one peice driveshaft has enough clearence.

PIC_0051-1.jpg

PIC_0061.jpg

PIC_0047.jpg

and the W55 with dellow bell housing

PIC_0002-1.jpg

(Yea yea RT I know you were right about the gearbox after all not needing the tunnel cut :P )

• 2 weeks later...

Been working at mounting the intercooler lately.

Just started grinding out the valence panel to make a hole big enough to fit the intercooler in (unfinished):

2614412_35_full.jpg

How I first intended it to go:

2614412_34_full.jpg

2614412_36_full.jpg

Then I did some more work tonight and realised I can actually make the intercooler work with the outlet pipes up top for shorter piping and more hidden. Got it sitting nicer through the front valence and have cut a hole in the front skirt to allow airflow to the intercooler.

Will be mounting the intercooler in there when I get hold of some steel then can properly shape a more accurate hole in the front skirt.

2614412_39_full.jpg

2614412_37_full.jpg

2614412_38_full.jpg

• 2 weeks later...