warants

Guest kornstar

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

are compressed springs illegal? i reckon it depends cos i have ridden in leons car and it rides pretty shit.. but on the other hand i rode in mk1 eskys car the otehr day which had 1.5 inch lowering blocks and compressed fronts and it rode like a dream....

It also depends on your shock/spring setup. Some will be more bouncy than others. My shocks are sports ones made for stiff setups, that's why they suck with the compressed springs as they are very soft. Plus, I got my springs compressed 60mm which is fucking heaps.

IT can be worth getting the leaves done putting blocks in the back can promote axle tramp which aint good and means you get ass all traction on heavy take off's I went low like Zep on my old 1600 sport with a 60mm drop all round but I had blocks in the back and custom front springs and it was really nice a bit hard but good :D

dont think reseting your leafs will stiffen it up much. new lowered leafs cost about as much as resetting your ones. check the king springs catalogue if they stock ones for your car- they have the catalog downloadable from their site. wether you need new shocks or not depends how much you lower it, if you need to its easy enough to just shorten them when youre taking the leafs out anyways. regardless theres a place in penrose that does the resetting.

Compressing your springs make them shorter when they are sitting on the ground. I mean the hight of the is lower. Which means that when they're in the shocks they will flop around,Thats illegal. If you shorten the shock so that the spring is captured then they are Legal.

• 2 weeks later...
It also depends on your shock/spring setup. Some will be more bouncy than others...

Bingo!

When ever you alter your springs' characteristics (travel, length, firmness) by any significant amount you need to change your shocks to match, or you have handling problems.

Choping:

In my experiance you can reasonably safely chop off one ring from most car's springs (provided you don't bodge the job) and improve it's stock handling.

It's almost certainly not legal, and it won't sack your ride out, but it will sharpen things up reasonably safely. And the drop will probably be less than 1/2 inch so if you do a tidy job and paint the spring chances are no one will notice anyway...

Rear Leaves:

As for rear leaves you can have the firmness, and height reset to suit your needs. Far better than blocks and it used to be pretty cheap (about a $100 if you took the springs out yourself) a few years ago...

• 2 weeks later...

A no $$$ trick to keep your springs captive with a cut/reset/shorter spring, is to remove the screw in bit in the top of the strut leg , and place a peice of pipe on top of the strut rod. Then when the jack is jacked up/ gets airbourne, the travel down will be limited, and the spring wont be able to come loose. Eh bro!

if ya got hydrolic shocks, theres that big gland nut where the stainless rod comes out, take it off and put a bit of copper tube over the stainless rod, then put the gland nut back on. copper so it doesnt scratch anything :)

if you wanna firm up the ride put some thicker oil in while ur there (same amount that came out), and make the free length compression real tight.

works pretty good :)