For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 19:13, d.p.n.s said:

just getting back to the diff caliper mounts (on a to be certified car )....can they be made out of 10mm alloy?

or is it best to use steel.

thanks again for any and all help

alloy might be ok, wilwood caliper brackets are alloy, but you may have to do some research on suitable grades of alloy for that job.

steel would be easier from that point of view, no arguments there that it would be strong enough

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6061 is the grade is aluminium you want, or 6000 series as it gets called.

its hard to get in small pieces but buckley systems throw away shit loads of it. especially in 10mm or whatever the imperial rubbish size equivalent is.

how to get?  ummm, easier said than done, head of procurement/stock control is a douche so best to try the back doors first.

go there to building number 11 where the machine shop is and ask for Paul. you might have to wait an hour but he'll get you what you need because hes a genuine GC. 

give it a try, you might be surprised with what you can acquire.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sheepers said:

6061 is the grade is aluminium you want, or 6000 series as it gets called.

its hard to get in small pieces but buckley systems throw away shit loads of it. especially in 10mm or whatever the imperial rubbish size equivalent is.

how to get?  ummm, easier said than done, head of procurement/stock control is a douche so best to try the back doors first.

go there to building number 11 where the machine shop is and ask for Paul. you might have to wait an hour but he'll get you what you need because hes a genuine GC. 

give it a try, you might be surprised with what you can acquire.

If you're having trouble sourcing 6061 get in touch, we have it on the shelf up to 100mm thick

13 hours ago, cletus said:

alloy might be ok, wilwood caliper brackets are alloy, but you may have to do some research on suitable grades of alloy for that job.

steel would be easier from that point of view, no arguments there that it would be strong enough

Thanks again mate.

Will just stick with steel  then there shouldn't be any argment.

18 hours ago, Seedy Al said:

You need to talk to the Barry known as @fletch 

He is a nissan gearbox magician. 

Is running a 5 speed column shift converted from Nissan and datsun lego in his datsun 240c wagon.

The one in @- i5oogt - diesel ced went poof down the tunnel road. Need a tall diff th avoid accelerating in 5th to solve that problem. 

1 minute ago, Seedy Al said:

Your right. 

The diff must have been the reason a worn out 5 speed must have blown up.

Poor explanation on my part. The cars diff ratio meant you selected 5th at about 80kms and accelerated to 100. Most gearboxes don't like that. Causes premature wear and eventually failure. The amount of noise that box made it was sure to go poof sooner rather than later. 

23 minutes ago, Carsnz123 said:

Poor explanation on my part. The cars diff ratio meant you selected 5th at about 80kms and accelerated to 100. Most gearboxes don't like that. Causes premature wear and eventually failure. The amount of noise that box made it was sure to go poof sooner rather than later. 

All this bad mouthing of Nissan boxes is going to upset @fletch

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Carsnz123 said:

there are a few other issues that box had. the driveshaft has been lengthened to fit the shorter 5 speed and its a bit too long so is bashing the back of the box a bit.

also we put the wrong oil in it,

also the gears were tired

also LD28 +T!!!! The T means it has all of the torque.

also i think i was @RUNAMUCKdrunk during the rebearing of that box.....

You can get a 3.7lsd head out of japan landed for about 500nz. they come out of the qk30 nissan crew or something ugly like that.

• Like 1

It had gone through the hardening on the gear on the input shaft. 

And I wasn't as drunk as you when you threw my SR20DET box back together. 

Pulling from 80-100 in top does no harm. They're not that weak.

Towing heavy shit in 5th gear is a bit harder on stuff. 

Hey guys is it legal to use an adjustable bias pedal box in a road car? Not one with an "on the fly" adjuster, just one which can be adjusted until a good balance is reached and forgotten? 

Edit- found in LVVTA 35-00(02)(Braking systems) - still unsure. 

"An adjustable balance-bar assembly which actuates twin master cylinders 
must:
(a) be capable of being securely locked into position to prevent 
unintended changes in front-to-rear brake balance; and
(b) in the case of balance bar rods within a custom-built balance-bar 
assembly, be manufactured from a material of:
(i) appropriate strength; and
(ii) suitable diameter;"

55 minutes ago, 187inc said:

Hey guys is it legal to use an adjustable bias pedal box in a road car? Not one with an "on the fly" adjuster, just one which can be adjusted until a good balance is reached and forgotten? 

Edit- found in LVVTA 35-00(02)(Braking systems) - still unsure. 

"An adjustable balance-bar assembly which actuates twin master cylinders 
must:
(a) be capable of being securely locked into position to prevent 
unintended changes in front-to-rear brake balance; and
(b) in the case of balance bar rods within a custom-built balance-bar 
assembly, be manufactured from a material of:
(i) appropriate strength; and
(ii) suitable diameter;"

Hey man, the VIRM doesnt have it as an exclusion: https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/general/brakes/service-brake-and-parking-brake (see table 8-1-1) which means it'll have to be certed.

Looking at LVV standards: https://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/standards/LVVTA_STD_Braking_Systems.pdf , section 2.2 verse 23/24:
A low volume vehicle may be fitted with one or more proportioning valves which are purposely designed for automotive applications.
A proportioning valve which is adjustable from inside a vehicle must have the facility to be temporarily disabled or locked into a position of normal operation to prevent unintended changes in front to rear brake balance occurring whilst the vehicle is being operated on public roads.

Based on this it looks like it can be done if certed. I think? Hopefully someone else will be able to confirm.