For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With regards to drive shaft loops. Car originally had a n/a v6, new engine is a 1.8 4cyl turbo, all bolts in on factory mounts and nothing has changed on the drive line. The v6 had 175hp, the 1.8 has 150hp. Will it need a loop?

• Like 1

On ‎31‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 21:25, igor said:

Not sure whether to post this here or in tech spam. My eldest has decided it might be fun to put the 4.1 crossflow from my rusty XC into my '51 Vanguard. Is he completely crazy or is this a sensible course of action? If by some remote chance we actually did it how carried away would we have to get with brake upgrades etc? The original drum brakes are pretty big cos 16" wheels. I'm not convinced that the Vanguard diff would be up to the job either. If we swapped in a Falcon diff we'd be sweet for that if the width was suitable. Do any of you know if Standard Triumph five stud is the same as Ford? The Vanguard isn't here for me to measure it.

Standard Vanguard was 5 x 4.75", same as Holden HQ-WB, Jag and small Chevy.

Motorcycle related... anyone know if I'm allowed to move a VIN plate, or what the process is?

When I had the bike vinned, they put the plate in a silly place. My new seat now makes it hard to see which I imagine will be an issue for a WOF.

• 3 weeks later...

Will an eng mount to just one M12 stud pass cert? As per the drivers side on below pic, i will remake the bracket from some folded 10mm plate or some such as existing one is a welded POS, but will still rely on one stud.

ryxh3mxh.ftu.jpg

The requirement from last year: 

• Registration and WoF, or for non-roadworthy vehicles an NZDRA tech inspection or MSNZ logbook

It's safe to assume that this will be the same this year too. The final word is with our scrutineer on the day. 
Gutting a WoF/Reg vehicle should not prevent you from running in the event however this will depend on how safe the car is on the day, again at the discretion of the scrutineer.

• Like 2

you can apply for a log book for any vehicle via MSNZ, having a log book doesn't make it safe :P but helps keep track of events & inspections

(just making point you don't have to have a "race car" to have a log book assigned to it, it can be a BOS class car too ie Bucket of Sh1t can have a Logbook)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JoKer said:

you can apply for a log book for any vehicle via MSNZ, having a log book doesn't make it safe :P but helps keep track of events & inspections

(just making point you don't have to have a "race car" to have a log book assigned to it, it can be a BOS class car too ie Bucket of Sh1t can have a Logbook)

This is relevant to my interests.

9 hours ago, oldrx said:

Will an eng mount to just one M12 stud pass cert? As per the drivers side on below pic, i will remake the bracket from some folded 10mm plate or some such as existing one is a welded POS, but will still rely on one stud.

ryxh3mxh.ftu.jpg

I wouldn't cert it with one 12mm stud, if it's that one that sticks out just above the sump.  

A single stud is ok if the load is in tension or compression like it would be on an engine mount rubber, but not like the pic, the mount bracket would have to attach to another point on the block above the stud to stop it trying to bend/ tear off under engine weight and torque.

Kinda hard to explain, hope that makes sense.

Yeah i gotcha thanks man, I will front mount it with rx3 X member i think this is going to be the easiest way. There is a kinda bulge in the casting where the twin dizzy stud would have prev been but means engine out to drill/tap and still probably inferior to front mount.

On 2017-6-7 at 11:41, locost_bryan said:

Standard Vanguard was 5 x 4.75", same as Holden HQ-WB, Jag and small Chevy.

Cheers for that Bryan. GM diff might be the go then to keep it all matching. Probably never happen anyway but dreams are good things.

Need some design input on my engine mounts for cert - 

6mm plates bolted to engine with 3x 10mm bolts 

6mm wall 50x50 box to be welded to plates

6mm wall tube welded to box to hold rubber mounts with crush tube inside

6mm 100x100 box cut and drilled for 10mm thru bolt for rubber mounts -these brackets bolt to factory engine mount locations on subframe with 2x10mm bolts (stock is 1x 10mm bolt + locating pin)

tl/dr does this look shit or overkill- ignore tack welds -certed welder will be gluing for me 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2

Mazda v6 200kg odd 150 horses and torques if lucky 

maybe able to sneak another bolt into the plates onto engine for 4 each side - going into mx5 so gearbox mounts to ppf/diff 

IMG_2349.jpg

Edited by Transom
add photo