For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have to say, yes. The engineering behind placement and fixing of intrusion bars is unlikely random and incorrectly affixed and spec'd bars could prove more dangerous in an accident than none at all.

That's just a guess based on logic though.

• Like 3

The back seat in my van is one of those ones that the seat closest to the sliding door folds up into an arm rest, if I say disabled it from being folded down can I remove the seat belt?

This style:

1254_39.jpg

The belt for that seat is mounted on the C piller.

Wasn't sure if there would be some rule about modifying the seat frame if I removed the existing folding part?

Was just thinking about locking the existing seat up as there's a hole there that will lock it if I whack a bolt through.

Hi Clint!

So I have done the pcd on my new discs and am mocking up things on the floor for my caliper mounts.

It's proving to be a bit trickier than I'd planned (there was no planning)

Can I remove the steering lock nubbin (it conflicts with where an adaptor might go) and instead incorporate it into the back of my actual adaptor?

Also, not really necessary BUT in the photo you can see the caliper mounting flangie poking the middle of my caliper.

Could I cut this off and drill/tap a new hole in the cast iron further in?

It's all similar material thickness etc.

20160627_182506.jpg

yes and yes as long as theres enough material there to drill and tap a new hole

I want to lock up the folding seat so it's just an arm rest.

Then remove the belts so I can bolt a tool rack in using the belts mounting holes.

I think KY is right, i cant find anything that specifically says you can disable the seat and remove the belt- only the opposite (ie if the seat is removed but the belt is still there)

to be 100% legal i'd remove the seat (it must unbolt somewhere?) and belt

• Like 1

yes and yes as long as theres enough material there to drill and tap a new hole

Thanks man.

Have a much better idea now. Plate will go under rear steering arm mount (I'll mill 10mm off the underside of its boss so it can pass through)

20160628_170046.jpg

20160628_170313.jpg

My current adaptor plate drawing is a little excessive- would you be happy if I ditched the lower adaptor bolt completely and used the steering arm bolt? So the plate would pass under steering arm.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently in the process of putting 240z seats in my 1200 coupe. I want to make sure that how I do this will meet cert requirements as I do plan on getting cert eventually. Ive had a good through this document http://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/standards/LVVTA_STD_Seats_&_Seat_Anchorages.pdf but thought I would be a good idea to get a second opinion.

The 1200 rails are spaced further apart than the rails on a 240z seats. Because of the smaller spacing of the 240z the rails won't sit on the back mounts. The way I plan to solve this issue is by bolting and welding the rails to a peice of suitable sized angle iron which then gets bolted to the factory rear seat mounts. See the pictures below, the stainless hinge is what will be the mild steel angle.

8200DE86-8246-4273-8A2D-655A11BA9C5C_zps

8D90B7AD-88D5-4723-919C-70AAEB93831D_zps

0C95BBE9-D672-4219-B953-8C984808B498_zps

I'm planning on bolting the two rails onto this piece of angle then maybe putting a small but weld on each rail for a little extra measure then the angle will bolt to the chassis via the original mounts

As for the front I'm planning on bending the mounting tabs slightly so they are square. They obviously don't line up with the original holes and where I would need to drill a hole there isn't that much steel. Is there any issue with welding more steel into this front brace then drilling a new hole and tacking a nut to the back of it like it is originally?

Would appreciate any help with this!

Thanks man.

Have a much better idea now. Plate will go under rear steering arm mount (I'll mill 10mm off the underside of its boss so it can pass through)

20160628_170046.jpg

20160628_170313.jpg

My current adaptor plate drawing is a little excessive- would you be happy if I ditched the lower adaptor bolt completely and used the steering arm bolt? So the plate would pass under steering arm.

probably ok, but i would say it would need to go through TAC for removal of material from the steering arm

I'm currently in the process of putting 240z seats in my 1200 coupe. I want to make sure that how I do this will meet cert requirements as I do plan on getting cert eventually. Ive had a good through this document http://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/standards/LVVTA_STD_Seats_&_Seat_Anchorages.pdf but thought I would be a good idea to get a second opinion.

The 1200 rails are spaced further apart than the rails on a 240z seats. Because of the smaller spacing of the 240z the rails won't sit on the back mounts. The way I plan to solve this issue is by bolting and welding the rails to a peice of suitable sized angle iron which then gets bolted to the factory rear seat mounts. See the pictures below, the stainless hinge is what will be the mild steel angle.

8200DE86-8246-4273-8A2D-655A11BA9C5C_zps

8D90B7AD-88D5-4723-919C-70AAEB93831D_zps

0C95BBE9-D672-4219-B953-8C984808B498_zps

I'm planning on bolting the two rails onto this piece of angle then maybe putting a small but weld on each rail for a little extra measure then the angle will bolt to the chassis via the original mounts

As for the front I'm planning on bending the mounting tabs slightly so they are square. They obviously don't line up with the original holes and where I would need to drill a hole there isn't that much steel. Is there any issue with welding more steel into this front brace then drilling a new hole and tacking a nut to the back of it like it is originally?

Would appreciate any help with this!

back part sounds fine, for the front could you make the angle bracket bolt to the original anchorages somehow?

bolting to original anchorages makes it a lot easier from a cert point of view

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply mate

I could probably pretty easily do the same as I'm planning on the back to the front. Just remove the existing angle brackets and join the two rails with a piece of angle and have it extend our past the rails so I can use the original mounting points.

What's the thoughts on welding and joining brackets to rails. I'm thinking of using an 8mm bolt for the end of each rail and a small butt weld.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Clint, I've acquired a new project, its a 36 stewart pick up colonial cab.

old guy died and the son gave it to me for free.

My question is; 

How\can I put it back on the rd without too much hassle? 

It has old black plates on it (ER7165) , nz rego stickers from the early 80's and two original body\build tags on it.

My father in law has 3 of them, reckons they came with all sorts of different engines, whatever was available at the time etc. He says I should restore it , put a flathead v8 in it with a toyota box, and that it won't need a cert, is he correct? we think it is set up for a flathead v8. only part that would differ is the gearbox crossmember. (I'm a ticketed welder)

heres a link to some photos if it helps,

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/53537-maxpower-1936-stewart-beater-pick-up/

P.s not wanting an expensive flashy hot rod just a cool old pickup 

Thanks in advance 

• Like 1