For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

10 minutes ago, Leon said:

Strut spacers need a cert.

Unless it's listed here, as not needing a cert, it needs a cert.  See linky link, tables and images tab

https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/general/steering-and-suspension/steering-and-suspension-systems

so if it moves through its travel smoothly, and nothing fouls or rubs then its fine? It says to fail a wof if it shows welding after manufacture, but if I buy some cast aluminium spacers then theres no welding

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, peteretep said:

What’s the story with fitting spacers between strut tops and car body to lift a car? Can I fit some 2” blocks to jack a car up and not need a cert?

definitely needs cert, and they often cause problems.

I can see in my crystal ball, in the future, the shit will hit the fan for a lot of people who have brand new rangers/hiluxes/navaras etc with strut spacers fitted and they go for their first wof after owning it for 3 years.

then they will need cert

and they wont pass due to all the binding issues they all have

and they will kick up a stink because "it drives fine and its been like that since new"

• Like 8

15 hours ago, kws said:

A fun question. On my SD1 I have replaced all the suspension with new OEM parts (as it was lowered), so new shocks and springs. The rear spring setup is a bit weird, in that they are not "captive" at full droop, and are designed to drop down in their turret in the body. They dont drop below the turret so cant become mis-located, and the bottom of the springs have a retainer from factory to stop them coming loose. I presume because this is factory setup it should be OK, but how would I go to prove this was normal if i needed to? Not like i can call the Rover dealer to get them to confirm.

There is no way to retain the spring at the top, and the shocks would have to be significantly shortened to keep the springs from dropping down as they do. The only thing that limits the droop of the axle are the shocks. The car would have to be significantly airbourne on the road for the axle to droop that far normally.

sounds weird for a factory setup to not be captive.

as far as proving that is normal for sd1's,  workshop manual maybe?

36 minutes ago, Transom said:

does that exactly describe an mx-5 ? 

Also "head restraint " is that meaning seats with headrests or are we talking Hanz device restraint system ? 

yes, an open car can have a full cage, the trick with fitting it in an mx5 would be getting it to fit in the B-zone  (have a look at the standard I linked, that describes the measurements to work out a,b and c zones)

head restraint, is headrests on seats.

18 minutes ago, cletus said:

definitely needs cert, and they often cause problems.

I can see in my crystal ball, in the future, the shit will hit the fan for a lot of people who have brand new rangers/hiluxes/navaras etc with strut spacers fitted and they go for their first wof after owning it for 3 years.

then they will need cert

and they wont pass due to all the binding issues they all have

and they will kick up a stink because "it drives fine and its been like that since new"

I predict that it will be like new lowered cars were in the past.

very few people will be bothered arguing with heroic ranger guy, they will pass it and put it out side,

• Like 2

15 hours ago, cletus said:

yes, an open car can have a full cage, the trick with fitting it in an mx5 would be getting it to fit in the B-zone  (have a look at the standard I linked, that describes the measurements to work out a,b and c zones)

head restraint, is headrests on seats.

Thanks for the link and the translation into normal person speak 

• Like 1

On 09/08/2018 at 21:56, peteretep said:

so if it moves through its travel smoothly, and nothing fouls or rubs then its fine? It says to fail a wof if it shows welding after manufacture, but if I buy some cast aluminium spacers then theres no welding

Nope.

It *needs* a cert, because there is no clause in the WOF rules that allows for it without cert.

As per Cletus' post below, a lot of them cause trouble because of issues like balljoint bind.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, starting to make some decisions about my racecar build that require cert input. 

Firstly feel free to judge me for what I’m about to suggest I hate the thought of being another dick who wants to chop the front off his car and tube frame it but it literally solves a bunch of problems such as wheel clearance/oil cooler location/airbox location/aerodynamics and airflow management etc etc. 

I plan to leave the chassis rails and lower radiator crossmember untouched. Just chop the top arm off where the panel mounts and run it forward to mount the headlight and pick up a bonnet pin location. I’ll also run a bumper support tube for bumping people at the racetrack supersix/stockcar style. Is this allowed for the road? 

4C56ADC7-15F1-4E78-8250-DDECB600FB1E.thumb.jpeg.f8c93785952ee357ad850776d03d7f6e.jpeg

The car is caged and requires cert for other body mods (tunnel/pedal box/rear diffuser and fuel cell). Are there any exemptions or different rules for cars with authority cards in circumstances such as this where front impact etc is less of an issue. 

Im also keen to cut out a few additional bits of panel steel in the rear of the car. My fuel cell is under the car so I’d like to chop out most of the parcel tray and the unnecessary double skin below the b pillar. I will leave the support for the bottom of the rear window and adequately brace it so it doesn’t flex. 

Since it has a cage the extra bits of steel aren’t really needed for strength and removing it will save some weight and make it look nicer. Any thoughts on if this is certable?

Car is a 1991 Toyota levin so no real strength required in the rear of the car  

3A929D9A-6395-483E-8B79-DA86371A6D3D.thumb.jpeg.fb51b6aa34bcaa2d258f7d43a3f1277a.jpeg97E1138D-2A04-424B-BD8D-7B4D18C54811.thumb.jpeg.58067bb0432ae636fb689e7a3bd3ef4b.jpeg

Not related to the above post.

From https://lowvolumevehicle.co.nz/resource-pages/suspension/

If all these check out OK, and if your car drives decently, then book it in for a Cert. Remember that you are ALLOWED TO DRIVE YOUR CAR TO A PLACE OF INSPECTION so if the Police stop you on your way to get a Cert, tell the Police, and they should not ticket you.

Is this legit Clint?

All you Barries can get out of here. None of the above applies to my question, damn sharners.

For context, i'm talking about something like wheel alignment due to new suspension that has been "signed off" by certifier previous to installation.

edit, some legislation: (found via LVVTA forum)

8.9Motor vehicle must be kept in appropriate condition

(1)An operator of a motor vehicle that is required to have a warrant of fitness or certificate of fitness must at all times when the vehicle is operated on a road keep the vehicle in a condition appropriate to the level required for the issue of that warrant or certificate (as the case may be).

(2)An operator of a motor vehicle is not in breach of subclause (1) if the operator proves that, at the time the vehicle was being driven,—

(a)the vehicle was being operated solely for the purpose of—
(i)bringing it into compliance and the vehicle was safe to be operated for that purpose; or
(ii)obtaining a relevant certification and the vehicle was safe to be operated for that purpose; or
(b)the operator did not know, and had no reasonable cause to suspect, that the vehicle was no longer equipped or in a condition to justify the issue for it of a warrant of fitness or certificate of fitness.

So it seems the legislation doesn't really differentiate between WOF and certification. Figured it might be something Clint deals with on a daily basis.

The rears strength is replaced by the cage where there’s a solid tube between the strut towers and triangulation between the strut tower and bulkhead (where the trailing arm is mounted). 

Oh and also forgot to mention that the cage in the pics will be cut out before recerting and more elaborate cage fabricated. 

On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 21:28, Bling said:

Not related to the above post.

From https://lowvolumevehicle.co.nz/resource-pages/suspension/

Is this legit Clint?

I never tell people that, otherwise you leave yourself open to, or involved with ownership of problems.

imagine if I told someone it was fine to drive their car which isn't legal, and they get $600 worth of fines, or they crash into a school bus because the wheels all fell off or something

it doesn't really come up very often, those who are worried about it usually get the car towed or trailered to the cert inspection

• Like 1