For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got a starlet with a commy v6 planted in it. Firewall has been done very well, perfect welds etc. Do you have to have an engineers certificate for welds? Unsure who it was done buy. Also does anyone know any good (preferably cheap) places for cert around wellington, manawatu area?

Dear Clint,

Whats the deal with welding for cert?

Who has to weld what?

What has to be welded in MIG, TIG ??

As a Full time welder in paid employment can i do everything myself?

Regards,

Chris

theres only a few things that need to be TIG welded and crack tested, parts considered "critical function components" ie brake caliper brackets, front suspension arms etc

chassis/engine mounts/body etc can all be mig welded. you dont have to be a ticketed welder, if you can weld properly youll be fine. the rule book says welds must be done by a ticketed welder OR someone who has demonstrated to the certifier they can weld. i have seen a few ticketed welders do shocking birdpoo welds on cars because they are used to glueing 6mm plate together all day and are quite good at blowing holes in 1mm sheetmetal

When you get a cert, is there additional info that is recorded somewhere in addition to what is on the cert plate?

Because some cert plates can be really, um, vague..., lacking in specifics. I just wondered if a more detailed version of what is on the cert plate is recorded elsewhere??

usually everything required for wofs/police is on the plate. it wont have minor stuff on it or it would have to be huge

whats missing off yours?

Nothing is missing. I was just wondering if, in theory, you could get away with changing stuff as long as it still fitted with the details on the plate. Of course you would have to change where you got your WOF...

For example: My engine details are "1800cc" "NISSAN MOD" "IL4-OHC" "FUEL-INJ TURBO"

What would stop me from replacing my CA18ET with a Z18ET?(not that I would actually want to do that swap :rolleyes: ).

Dear Clint

Just went through check point, the guys from land transport checked it out, all good bar one issue that he spotted.

He measured the height of suspension from the center of the wheel to the top of the guard,

I read the Average car height is 300mm. Mine Reads 570mm and 540mm, which is way out! says my car has like a 3inch lift kit in it. Was there a different way of measuring back in the day? ( cert plate is old) He said i wouldn't get a WOF with that mistake (BS anyway as i do)

So my options are just leave it and risk coming across an unreasonable cop

or pay $400 for a new plate? Or is there another option, what do you think

Thanks

Horse

Dear Clint

Just went through check point, the guys from land transport checked it out, all good bar one issue that he spotted.

He measured the height of suspension from the center of the wheel to the top of the guard,

I read the Average car height is 300mm. Mine Reads 570mm and 540mm, which is way out! says my car has like a 3inch lift kit in it. Was there a different way of measuring back in the day? ( cert plate is old) He said i wouldn't get a WOF with that mistake (BS anyway as i do)

So my options are just leave it and risk coming across an unreasonable cop

or pay $400 for a new plate? Or is there another option, what do you think

Thanks

Horse

as far as i know its always been measured the same way. ie hub to guard

email this bloke, hes very helpful justin@lvvta.org.nz take a photo of the plate, i doubt it ever would have been that height as you say. it may have been printed incorrectly and never picked up. explain your situation and he will be able to help you out. worth a try before getting it re certed