• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
another engine mount question

if i was to make some mounts similar to 'nothingsfree' on his dx

would i need to be ticketed or have them tested?

just asking as it involves welding to the x member and sure somebody might not like they

nah as long is the design is sound and the welding is good, you can do it. Only things that need a ticketed welder are "critical function" items like a brake caliper bracket or a front suspension arm etc, and it has to be TIG

i have seen a lot of shitty welds from ticketed welders- usually guys who weld 8mm plate all day then try to weld 1.2mm sheetmetal on a firewall and blow big holes/make budgie blobs errwherr

From what I hear, they've brought in a new emissions standard/regulation thingy for certs when swapping an engine. Does anyone have legiti knowledge about this?

yes there is an emission standard now, for cars that have had an engine swap. Its not too bad though its really only an air/fuel ratio check plus efi engines have to have all factory sensors etc if it has an original ecu. Plus, if the car was equipped with a cat, and the engine had one originally, then a cat must be fitted.

None of this applies to cars with a modified original engine.

slip on spacers, certable up to 7mm? or just a no go all together?

slip on spacers can be certed. wheel must be located by center spigot, spacer must be single stud pattern, spacer must be attached to wheel or hub, max width 20 mm. those multi 4/5 stud spacers are only good for the bin. "slip on" (spacers) and "bolt on" (adapters) both need cert.

• 2 weeks later...

hey cletus,got a question about exhausts that exit in front of back wheels.if its a four door is there anyway it can legally be done??just asking coz on one of my projects im thinking about running it out drivers side just in front of rear wheel under back door for something different(for the kind of car it is anyway) 8)

exhaust must exit perimeter of passenger compartment. so as long as it comes out the side thats fine. the only downfall is getting it quiet enough cause usually that doesnt leave much room for mufflers.

ive heard all sorts of made up rules( must exit 12 inches past last opening door, can on 2 door but not on 4 door etc etc i have no idea where they came from)

exhaust must exit perimeter of passenger compartment. so as long as it comes out the side thats fine. the only downfall is getting it quiet enough cause usually that doesnt leave much room for mufflers.

ive heard all sorts of made up rules( must exit 12 inches past last opening door, can on 2 door but not on 4 door etc etc i have no idea where they came from)

sweet,ive heard all those rules too so its nice to get a definite answer from a cert guy :) .and the car in question already has two resonators in the existing system and its relatively quiet(compared to 90% of the cars in chch),so may just replace one of them with a muffler before the pipe runs out the side :) .im assuming ill have to fit a heat sheild to it to protect legs though??

From what I hear, they've brought in a new emissions standard/regulation thingy for certs when swapping an engine. Does anyone have legiti knowledge about this?

yes there is an emission standard now, for cars that have had an engine swap. Its not too bad though its really only an air/fuel ratio check plus efi engines have to have all factory sensors etc if it has an original ecu. Plus, if the car was equipped with a cat, and the engine had one originally, then a cat must be fitted.

None of this applies to cars with a modified original engine.

So to clarify:

My RX7 has:

Original Engine

Aftermarket ECU

Cat Removed

Because it's the original engine, I do not need an emissions check or a Cat?

Looking at going for a cert in the very near future, and this is one of my biggest concerns.

yea?? shit i thoguht those were mandatory full stop for some reason.

i also see the virm has changed so these is no noise limit for ma and mc cars with a motorsport licence card?

more i read siad virm more i realise you can actually do alot without needing a cert , i also realise some stuff you think you wont need a cert for you do .

knowledge!

only question i have is i have put ca18det into 910 #1 it wasnt even certed for the de. buut to fit the gearbox without modifiying everything south of the firewall i moved engine forward 30mm i did this with 5 mm plate will this be acceptable?? i also put wedges going from the plate to existing engine mount tower incase it ever wanted to sag . is this ok or should i make it out of a thicker plate to keep everyone happy? .

and to get some alignment adjustment in rear im going to have to slot the x member or make a floating bolt and bracket setup much like the 510 datsuns have . any tip on what direction i should take?

i know these are prob certifier specific questions making somtehign along the lines will be alot better then making something that is useless

had a look at your build thread - probably ok the way it is, if it was mine id probably weld that 5mm plate to the x member so it cant move at all. as for rear susp- probably have to see it . will have a look at nats if you like.