For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

right through?

id say that would probably be a wof problem, however there is the old saying 'what they dont know cant hurt them"

so if they cant see it, ie need to have a wheel off to see it, then you'll be safe wof wise, id get it fixed for peice of mind tho.

should really know more about this wof shit considering i did this sort of stuff for a while

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

right through?

id say that would probably be a wof problem, however there is the old saying 'what they dont know cant hurt them"

so if they cant see it, ie need to have a wheel off to see it, then you'll be safe wof wise, id get it fixed for peice of mind tho.

should really know more about this wof shit considering i did this sort of stuff for a while

Yeah... might have to do something... only found it when I was lowering the arse und... also found the end of one sill is stuffed... and the bottom of the passenger door... and.... :cry:

got till july tho :)

• 1 month later...

if i replace a 16v 4age with a 20v 4age, will i need to get cert?

blocks have same mounting points

same engine mounts are used

power increase does not exceed 25%

yet one of my mates, who is a respected mechanic, for a respected company, who also is head mechanic for a V8 supercar team, tells me i do need a cert

Well you should really look at why you would ever need a cert.

Technically yes, you probably do need one. Simply because you are putting an engine into a car which it was not engineered for as such. If you are putting a 20 valve into a RWD car for example several things need to be altered, including modifications to the distributor or fire wall to allow enough clearance.

But in reality, will you actually have any trouble without getting one? A cop may pull you over and if you are real gay and a smart arse, might ask to see a cert if he knows his shit. But I haven't come across a cop who knows his shit in all my years of trying.

The other thing, is getting a wof. I wouldn't imagine a wof inspector would ever pull you up on having a 20v in place of a 4age. Unless ofcourse they are a rude testing station, or you have hacked up the gearbox xmember or firewall trying to make it all fit.

• 5 months later...

whats the actual process of getting a cert? you modify your car, and think its all good... then what?

and also, what are the actually guidelines you have to follow? like it says that you need a cert if you have done 'this' to your engine, etc. but what do they want to see in terms of how you have modified it?

and how much does it cost?

chur

ah k, so do all that, and then he'll come check it out and tell you if its good enough or not.

so is it usually only around 400 bucks or does it end up costing more if for example he has to keep coming back to tell you that your welds look like they where done by a blind man?

and realistically how easy/ hard is it go get the cert? pretty much if it looks safe/ is safe, its good enough?

I dont know if there are any mobile cert guys like you speak of (im sure there are but they will charge alot more)

Ive always taken my car into the cert guy.

Some of them are leniant and some of them are 100% to the book.

It is around $400+- each place

I think they like welds to look tidy but it isnt manditory (guess again this depends on how leniant the guy is)

Certs are pretty easy as long as you have done shit by the books, I.e, seat mounts, driveshaft loops etc.

As far as stage 2 etc engine tuning im not sure how they judge it, I think they just take your word for what you say has been done.

It takes about 2-4 weeks after you have succsesfully got the cert for the plate to be printed.

One question.

Should my suspension in the front of me Triumph the Spax adjustables with 1 inch lower springs need a cert?

Last time i went for a wof i was told i needed to have a cert but they would let it pass?

I shouldn't think i would need a cert?

Cheers Stew