For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, Nominal said:

You'll be pleased to know they are managing the repair certifier process too then?

LOL; yes I have acquaintances at a senior level in both the MTA and the CRA.

Just my opinion on where this privately owned, self justifying  juggernaut is heading. 

Dear people, a good friend of mine has decided that after 20 years of ownership of his MK2 Esky sport to get it all legal and update the very out of date cert plate. He's having a fucking nightmare. It's running a 2ltr pinto with Weber sidedrafts, Celica 5speed, Carpi disc's etc.

1, he's stupidly done things over the years like replace the whole front after a crash.

2, he's stupidly done mods like replace the factory pedal box with an aftermarket unit.

3,and this is the big one, apart from the number on the cert plate, there  is no trace of the chassis number.

So on a scale of  bad to fucked, how fucked is he? I had a get a new number for the bug which seems pretty easy in retrospect, but guess it had a number just the wrong one.

Sincerely yours Ragtop.

If it reg on hold, number one thing would be to go to a aa/vtnz/vinz that deals in re registrations and get a new vin number put on it. That might take a while for the paperwork to be approved but if he can show its the same car just the tag is missing, it should be do able  

Once that's sorted , sort out the cert. Aftermarket pedal box will depend on what brand it is and how it's made as to what will need changing  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Structural damage,

I know a guy who got pinged on a wof for very minor damage to the front edge of the rear wheel arch. 

I got a wof on mums car a few months back and was told it should have been a fail/apparently "theyve" been cracking down on it lately.  As mum did 250kms in the year since her last wof (and that number is likely to trend down too) I got the old  "be sure that's fixed by next time " which is pretty reasonable imho.

Pic for fred

Screenshot_20220219-171300_Gallery.thumb.jpg.6e1f4fecb85e45624e20d76aa37defb9.jpg

As you can see its sweet fuck damage.

But if an (admittedly very dilligent) wof guy had an issue with this, how would a bogan get on doing a bit of gardening to a wheel arch/adding a trusty tried and true TE27 Levin flare? If this is now being deemed "part of the critical body structure" does that make it a cert issue?

How about all the rfbs who have rolled the living fuck out of theirs to fit their hektik 19x12s?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Failed a Wof today for replacing a rear seatbelt - does this need cert?

In coming yarn - went for a sticker Wof at VTNZ and failed at the start of the year. That's all fine, rectified everything, and went through cert. All good. 

Went back past the 28 days knowing its not a recheck so have to pay again, may pick a small thing up here and there etc. But no apparently i have to go get cert....again.... on a replaced seatbelt?

Guys discussed for 20minutes infront of me because they didn't know, and came to the conclusion because it was imported in 1993 it needs cert? (built in 83)? 

Any help on this would be awesome.