• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, cletus said:

If that's what it had originally, that would be OK 

What sort of car is it? 

Mk2 cortina, from what I can see it didn’t have a breather or vent for the tank originally but I’ll be one for efi. So I was just going to take one off the filler neck.

Hey so I’ve got an old retro fit aftermarket sunroof I’ve acquired.

one of of those DIY types they sold at super cheap in the early 90’s

vehicle in question is going though cert at some point.

where I want to put it there is a U channel bit that travels though the middle of where the cut out would be.

can I cut it? If I needed to add steel would it need engineers report or something?

just gauging if it’s gonna be a pain in the ass or not

cheeeers

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ashkellybarr said:

Hey so I’ve got an old retro fit aftermarket sunroof I’ve acquired.

one of of those DIY types they sold at super cheap in the early 90’s

vehicle in question is going though cert at some point.

where I want to put it there is a U channel bit that travels though the middle of where the cut out would be.

can I cut it? If I needed to add steel would it need engineers report or something?

just gauging if it’s gonna be a pain in the ass or not

cheeeers

Sunroofs suck. They always leak and create more rust issues down the track. My 2c. 

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, GuyWithAviators said:

Sunroofs suck. They always leak and create more rust issues down the track. My 2c. 

Yeah definitely, normally I’d agree if it was a car I wanted to be tidy and nice.

but this thing I want to be as rough and mongrel as it can be, and I kinda enjoyed the old manual wind back sunroof in what it came out of. And it’s free and period correct

Just a heads up

if anyone is planning on importing a car or has one here that isn't registered yet

April 1st is when the govt starts taxing vehicles for their C02 emissions when they are first registered

usually these type of rule changes are based on ENTRY date ie if the car is border checked before x date then its exempt

This time it's based on when the car is registered, which means it has to have its repair cert /lvv cert/ pass compliance done before 1st April or an extra tax will apply when it is registered 

This means that LVV certifiers and repair certifiers are possibly going to be even busier than normal because car dealers are well known for leaving things till the last minute and are also adverse to paying more than they have to so will likely be applying max pressure to get things done before 1st April  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 5

6 minutes ago, cletus said:

The way I read the threshold, yes it would need cert as you have to cut (drill holes)

Screenshot_20220201-203934_Drive.jpg

Nothing new that is being pushed recently ? 

So no holes drilled and glue them on with some super sika bond steel glue is all good ? 

I guess drilling holes to bolt in a no cert needed half cage would also need cert ? 

I tried searching, but search brings up too many results.

If i were to replace the static seat belts in the Marina with an inertia reel kit, do i need a cert? I believe it doubles up the lower bolt with both the retractor and the end of the lap section of the belt, so no new holes need to be made and uses existing seatbelt anchors. The seatbelts would be Securon which meet NZ standards.

Should be able to adapt factory seat sliders/brackets to recaros with some box section

Factory rails are flat with the base on one side, other side is vertical (mounting to the side of the seat)

Existing brackets on the recaros will offset the box section just the right amount to match the existing seat mount holes

IMG_20220206_194002.thumb.jpg.ed5c556d45af6c3b86163f3b1b9b2fdd.jpg

Will use 50x50 on one side, other side will need 75x something 

I will use Allen head bolts, mounting through a single layer, (so a larger access hole on the other side of the rhs) 

Sounds legit to me, I don't think it would twist.

Is 3mm wall thickness suitable 

Factory seat rail bolts just have a 7 on them, assume il need ones with 8. 8 on them