For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

9 hours ago, dspec_tt131 said:

Having some roll centre adjusters machined for my gx61. Do they need a central locating ring like this 

IMG_3247-1024x683.jpg.a5d9149c941b3254387bc15942287dfa.jpg

Or are these fine i-img600x450-16324747144ulob533498.jpg.0af156646cf485afd6f3fb7bd84c8a4e.jpg

Is there a maximum thickness Im allowed also.

Here is the front suspension design with the steering arm sandwhiched between stub axle and ball joint 381d445823b0c4e0cdc561068bf0bdd1.png.8e918e703ee1997c74145110c847d6ae.png1a635b01b9f9fa5896b1de011200f135.png.a4707fd77ec170317efe017db17a2bb6.png

Those spacers must have the same spigot system as the arms do

There isn't a maximum height but that's because they usually are not that big, around 40mm is the most common size from memory 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding Datsun 720 replica scratchbuilt (registered year 202x)

Rear vision mirror q, if I have a reversing camera, do I need an interior rear view mirror?

I have put on door mirrors too, and part of their rear vision is blocked by the tray, but this is fairly common on utes? You can still see down the side of the tray, but only on part of the mirror if this makes sense.
I am thinking of maybe making some blocks at some point to space them out a little bit, but in the meantime is this ok?

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/10/2021 at 08:05, WhangareiKE70 said:

Regarding Datsun 720 replica scratchbuilt (registered year 202x)

Rear vision mirror q, if I have a reversing camera, do I need an interior rear view mirror?

I have put on door mirrors too, and part of their rear vision is blocked by the tray, but this is fairly common on utes? You can still see down the side of the tray, but only on part of the mirror if this makes sense.
I am thinking of maybe making some blocks at some point to space them out a little bit, but in the meantime is this ok?

@cletus can I ask is this a cert or a wof issue? If it's a WOF issue, do you know who the WOF people on here are? 

The virm has just been updated to say cameras can be used in place of mirrors, but it would need to be on all the time the car is on, not just in reverse.

https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/general/vision/rear-view-mirrors

Your 720 Is class NA (Ute) so must have a right side and either an interior OR left side mirror.

(See tables and images in the link above)

New flat deck utes usually get spacers/extensions for the wing mirrors.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, WhangareiKE70 said:

@cletus can I ask is this a cert or a wof issue? If it's a WOF issue, do you know who the WOF people on here are? 

Sorry I missed your first post

S/b vehicle requires one interior rear view mirror, and a drivers side outer mirror minimum

If an interior mirror is not effective due to body shape etc, then outer mirrors on both sides. 

They must be capable of doing the job of a mirror, so they have to be able to see what's behind you, not wobble around with vibrations or wind etc  

• Like 3

On 15/10/2021 at 16:47, AllTorque said:

Yes, that's the plan atm if the wing mirrors aren't acceptable as they are, getting some aluminium bar stock abd making some basic extensions for the ones I have. 

The virm has just been updated to say cameras can be used in place of mirrors, but it would need to be on all the time the car is on, not just in reverse.

That would be a problem for me as i am using the screen that it would be displayed on as my dash cluster too so that's all good. 
It isn't a major anyway, I have the rear vision mirror, just thought it might tidy up the interior a bit to not have it, as it doesn't see a huge amount with the spare mounted to the headboard.

On 15/10/2021 at 18:00, cletus said:

Sorry I missed your first post

S/b vehicle requires one interior rear view mirror, and a drivers side outer mirror minimum

If an interior mirror is not effective due to body shape etc, then outer mirrors on both sides. 

They must be capable of doing the job of a mirror, so they have to be able to see what's behind you, not wobble around with vibrations or wind etc  

Haha all good, I appreciate it mate.

I will be running both door mirrors (and as above maybe spacing them out a bit). Will throw the rear vision mirror on as I do have it and it does provide a limited amount of rear vision, and if money allows before it goes in for cert I may run a second rear vision camera that can be on at all times to a rear vision mirror screen thing (like this https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/car-parts-accessories/rear-view-cameras/listing/3303739906),

If I go for something like the above I get the added advantage of having a dashcam built in, and I can change the angle of the one connected to the dash screen to be more of a towing camera with the towball in view, and just have it on a switch.   

Hopefully a nice easy one. Current top hats have long bolts. If I want to space the strut down, is it acceptable to just have a ring of 10mm aluminum machined with the top hat bolts passing through? Size would match the size of camber plate that currently contacts car body, with the center hole matching the factory hole. Seems legit to me, but I think my certifier will cry if he sees me again before I want to book it in. (lots of complications). Down to a few things before cert and think the car is too low to pass, this is just a relatively easy way around it it needed. TIA

• Like 1

https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/general/vision/rear-view-mirrors

Your 720 Is class NA (Ute) so must have a right side and either an interior OR left side mirror.

(See tables and images in the link above)

So if im reading that right, RX3 Is MA therefore a internal rear view mirror is ok?

4 minutes ago, MRWEST said:

So if im reading that right, RX3 Is MA therefore a internal rear view mirror is ok?

Yes, Pre 2000 MA only needs a right wing mirror or an interior mirror,

BUT, if you have tints, you must have wing mirrors on both sides.

(See note 1 in above link)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, AllTorque said:

Yes, Pre 2000 MA only needs a right wing mirror or an interior mirror,

BUT, if you have tints, you must have wing mirrors on both sides.

(See note 1 in above link)

sweet good to know, have just deleted mirror holes off my doors a couple of weeks ago ha!

• Like 1

What the go with cutting down the footplate of an auto brake pedal during a manual conversion? In case the manual pedal I've found doesnt actually work, I'll be looking at cutting down the auto brake pedal on my crown.  Cant find any real info about this in the car construction manual.   I'd be using another toyota manual rubber pad as a template, however i'd ideally like it offset as far to the gas pedal as possible.  Is there a rule of thumb in this situation, eg at least x% of the footpad must remain on each side?

Just now, The Bronze said:

Can someone confirm or refute that I have to take my car to a VTNZ for a wof when I want to take it off hold? Or can any garage do the wof? Please and thanks, your friend, Mike.

Any garage, hold is taken off when you buy rego.

VTNZ for pink/green sticker removal.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, thorburnville said:

Is there a distance an exhaust must be from steering components? 

In my case I've got a steering shaft in an e36 that I'm trying to squeeze a downpipe around

Yes. 

Must have enough clearance that the two can't ever touch, if an engine mount breaks then the engine should never be able to rock over and jam it , a steel or alloy u joint can't be closer than 25mm and a rubber rag joint 50mm , or 100mm if there's a catalytic converter 

• Like 1

I want to fit a thicker radiator but this gusset which joins the lower front support to the chassis is in the way. Can I modify it (it doesn't really look that strong from factory) or remove and rebuild it to gain some space?

20211102_142733.thumb.jpg.d795a6caef871263f42e6822d7fc48fb.jpg

20211102_142657.thumb.jpg.7309a45eb68f359793360181a01360e1.jpg

20211102_142705.thumb.jpg.a0b5de84fad16d618df31ed32b9fcea2.jpg

20211102_142718.thumb.jpg.43ad083f9d0db5d2f64fd71f4b1939b3.jpg