For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

choice bud so that the standard test? . thanks for info .

no wonder severly underbraked cars get certs in nz haha

yeah its funny how some people spend $84785156645 on engine wheels suspension body etc and leave the original anchors on it

one of the best things i did to my last project was put skyline 4 pot calipers and 280mm discs on it. not a flash setup by any means but cheap, easy to do and never had to worry about stopping.

• Like 1

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

on that subject, I was thinking today,

If you aren't allowed to have removeable baffles so you can be a noisy cunt after getting a wof, how do people get on who have removable blank off plates for open dump pipes on cars used fo drag racing?

This is what I meant in the other thread - if you run a car noisy as shit then don't be surprised if you get into trouble. Run whatever system you like so long as its not tooo noisy and exits outside the car behind the rearmost opening windows and you shouldn't have much problems.

rule basically says the exhaust system cannot be fiddled about with in any way without the use of hand tools.

the exception to this is, i have been told by our tech guy in wellington, those plug in silencers for fart cannon mufflers have to be tack welded or riveted in place because of the fact that they will probably be removed 28 seconds after the cert sticker is on. With supertrapp mufflers or any exhaust with additional restrictors, dump pipes etc, when i do an exhaust noise cert, it all gets noted on the certificate so the exhaust only complies when it remains as tested.

A lot of it depends on the driver and car as well........ i dont think ive ever had to do a noise cert on a green stickered V8 commode or falcon...... its always skylines, subarus, hondas, the usual "boy racer" type cars that get stung for noise. and its usually younger people as well its surprising how many parents i get ringing me to sort out thier kids cars.

good evening Clint

I am sadly a mini owner and have for a long time been dreading the Cert process.

I have aftermarket modified brakes, suspension and engine, as well as seats and dash. My main questions are:

-I imagine you have seen mini's before with a modifed firewall thanks to a sidedraught carb demanding space. they have a large hole in the firewall originally and have so far only removed a section smaller than a 5 dollar note. i do however want to remover more, i know i have to box this off for all sorts of reasons but can i make the box removable to ease the pain if i need to remove the engine/carb?

- The engine itself is based on an original engine from a 1300 austin (1275cc) but is now a worked version of it, using mostly standard parts although almost all where heavily modified, what Records of work done do you need, as it has increased in power by 25% both from the basic 1000cc that was in there in the first place, but also from the 1275cc i started with.

-The suspension and brakes where all bolt on items but include adjustable height platforms if you know how a mini's suspension is set up, adjustable bottom arms and castor rods at the front with a brake setup that are an aftermarket performance part. Again, what documentation do you need of these items? Also is gaurd rub strictly not allowed or is there some understanding for it?

I plan on creating basically a whole new dash thanks to the carb again, are there any rules on position, type, size etc of gauges? I presume most rules will be regarding speedo. Also are there any legalities on displaying the mileage of the car? ie does it need to display what the known distance the car has travelled?

Finally are there any rules on needing a oil catch/breather tank for the road?

Take your time, PM me if it makes it any easier. Again your help is much appreciated

So any idea on if i start my cert process before the 1 May, can i avoid the CAT law?

spoke to technical guy today about this, official reply was the cat rule will apply to cars that have had the engine swapped after 1st of may. so if you can get some proof that the engine was fitted prior to may 1 then you wont need to worry about it.

quick question,

fiberglass doors? can they be used? (factory mounting points and hinges) will some form of intrusion bar need to be added if so?

the way the standard reads is the door needs to be able to withstand the same force as the hing and latch, correct? so bar between latch and hinges?

good evening Clint

-I imagine you have seen mini's before with a modifed firewall thanks to a sidedraught carb demanding space. they have a large hole in the firewall originally and have so far only removed a section smaller than a 5 dollar note. i do however want to remover more, i know i have to box this off for all sorts of reasons but can i make the box removable to ease the pain if i need to remove the engine/carb? Yes you can make it removable, it will have to be sealed well, and if any strength is lost from cutting the hole bigger, that will need to be replaced somehow

- The engine itself is based on an original engine from a 1300 austin (1275cc) but is now a worked version of it, using mostly standard parts although almost all where heavily modified, what Records of work done do you need, as it has increased in power by 25% both from the basic 1000cc that was in there in the first place, but also from the 1275cc i started with.

Dont really need to know what was done to the engine

-The suspension and brakes where all bolt on items but include adjustable height platforms if you know how a mini's suspension is set up, adjustable bottom arms and castor rods at the front with a brake setup that are an aftermarket performance part. Again, what documentation do you need of these items? Also is gaurd rub strictly not allowed or is there some understanding for it?

Any paperwork you can supply would be helpful when it comes to suspension, tyre rub is not allowed at all

I plan on creating basically a whole new dash thanks to the carb again, are there any rules on position, type, size etc of gauges? I presume most rules will be regarding speedo. Also are there any legalities on displaying the mileage of the car? ie does it need to display what the known distance the car has travelled?

legally dont need a odometer, have had a couple of cars that have been too hard to get a speedo working that have passed with a gps hardwired into the dash.

interior impact rule applies to custom dash

http://lvvta.org.nz/stdInteriorImpact.pdf

Finally are there any rules on needing a oil catch/breather tank for the road?

not really, an engine manufactured after 1975 has to have an operational pcv system, if its older than that you can have your unburnt engine fumes venting in any way you like

quick question,

fiberglass doors? can they be used? (factory mounting points and hinges) will some form of intrusion bar need to be added if so?

the way the standard reads is the door needs to be able to withstand the same force as the hing and latch, correct? so bar between latch and hinges?

cant see why not.... most of the fibreglass bodied cars ive seen have some form of steel frame attaching the hinged part of the door to the other end of the door where the catch is to keep the door strong enough

So any idea on if i start my cert process before the 1 May, can i avoid the CAT law?

spoke to technical guy today about this, official reply was the cat rule will apply to cars that have had the engine swapped after 1st of may. so if you can get some proof that the engine was fitted prior to may 1 then you wont need to worry about it.

A simple picture will suffice you think?

A simple picture will suffice you think?

Thats what im hoping

i mate

just a quick one for you.

im building a 6 link rear end for my van and its all hyme jointed

the question i have is .....what bolts are the best to use for the job?

do i go high strengh or do they need a wee bit of give in them?

cheers

dan

• 2 weeks later...

As some of you know i am looking at putting a Sr20Det in the Trump.

I need to either make the Subframe lower to the ground, to get out of the sump way or go around the front of the sump.

What issues may i have with getting a cert with changing this?

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys, quick question.

when getting a cert done, does the inspector just look at the areas in question? hypothetically speaking, if i wanted to get a cert for wheels, coilovers in the front and possibly height, would they just inspect these areas or do they check the whole car? being an 40+ year old car, somethings arent in top notch so yeh, was just wondering how in depth the inspection goes.

chers

• 2 weeks later...