For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

Seems to be another case of grey areas.  The documentation allows for interpretation in both directions and as such, certifiers will do exactly that, typically erring on the side of caution/least chance of them being held responsible.  

That's not a fault of the certifiers, they're just trying to protect their livelihood.  

Equally, these grey areas allow for the slop of components between a magnitude of vehicles thus giving us more ability to modify for an OK cost. 

The step above would be if we had to be like Germany and have TUV cert on every component otherwise you can't use it, then modifications and cars as a hobby would stretch beyond the budget of your average punter. 

It's a fine line of nonsense tightrope that we and the legislators walk. 

Also, why is that person not using Clint? 

They probably have a stack of other terrible mods and the suspension arms one just got added to the list. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, Nominal said:

That is different to the info I was thinking of, but that is more relevant as it mentions having serrations to locate the joint , when there is a single nut holding the joint in place

so the certifier may be reading it wrong or as KY said, ass covering  

I've certed a few of that style arms from various manufacturers, if they fail it's usually for other reasons, like

Car is low, has too much camber

Camber arms fitted to correct camber

Camber arm is longer to allow top ball joint to come out further 

Body does not allow space for full travel of the ball joint when its further out

Ball joint hits body

Have to raise suspension to remedy fouling

Dont need camber arms now because camber isn't a problem any more 

=A circle of money spending and fucking around is complete  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi guys, question about body mods, I know a chap who has modified a wagon by fitting the tray, b-pillar and roof off of a ute (thereby making his wagon a ute).  Its an old valiant so it came out with both wagons and ute on the same platform, I can't see anything about this sort of thing in the hobby car manual, is it possible to do this and then cert it? ie. hes done most of the work but its never seen a certifier, will it all need redoing if it were to be certed?
Cheers

How many replacement plates do you think I can get in 1 go without arousing suspicion. Got 3 vehicles that have lost them (legitimately, well one was on a stolen bike and didn't come back, but that was years ago and I don't know the police report) 

10 minutes ago, tortron said:

How many replacement plates do you think I can get in 1 go without arousing suspicion. Got 3 vehicles that have lost them (legitimately, well one was on a stolen bike and didn't come back, but that was years ago and I don't know the police report) 

I’m also interested in this. I have 2 bikes (one unregistered but will be Mr2b form) that I want consecutive plates on. They’re both exactly the same model / colour. 

My dataplate is missing, how can I go about getting another one? Car has no VIN number, chassis code is visible on the firewall, car has live plates and is on hold, the dataplate was removed for rust repair on firewall by PO and subsequently lost

Just has chassis number and vehicle weights on it... I can just make out a manufacturers part number on the bottom. So buy blank, fill it out, gotcha 

....best way to fill them out nicely? It looks to be very lightly etched, not stamped

On 11/08/2021 at 14:42, slopez said:

Hi guys, question about body mods, I know a chap who has modified a wagon by fitting the tray, b-pillar and roof off of a ute (thereby making his wagon a ute).  Its an old valiant so it came out with both wagons and ute on the same platform, I can't see anything about this sort of thing in the hobby car manual, is it possible to do this and then cert it? ie. hes done most of the work but its never seen a certifier, will it all need redoing if it were to be certed?
Cheers

Its do able, whether it needs redoing or not will depend on how well it was done in the first place, will need a certifier to have a look at it to see if it needs any further strengthening 

• Thanks 1

What's the rules surrounding repair certs when rust is involved? 

Does it have to be from a panel shop, or could it be from someone who has qualifications/tickets? 

I've only ever had to get one before, the panelbeaters simply wrote that the repair had been properly done with welded in steel plate etc. 

On 14/08/2021 at 19:51, 87creepin said:

What's the rules surrounding repair certs when rust is involved? 

Does it have to be from a panel shop, or could it be from someone who has qualifications/tickets? 

I've only ever had to get one before, the panelbeaters simply wrote that the repair had been properly done with welded in steel plate etc. 

For a WOF, or for revin as per Runamuck?

8 minutes ago, 87creepin said:

@Nominal just warrants, cars already registered here. 

Shouldn't need an official repair certification then as I understand things, just what ever your wof place is satisfied with.

If not, they have this option

https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/general/vehicle-structure/structure-incl2.-frontal-impact#note3

image.png.11ec5837fb95fb7f96512345b0c57f5b.png