For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

52 minutes ago, Bling said:

How much point is there actually having a brace like that? Does the whole car flex that much? Probably don't need to tag them in here, they frequent often enough ;) 

[ling]you're modifying the structure of the vehicle so my guess is needs a cert[/ling]

Compared to the liftback it flexes like a wet paper towel. Creaks going up curbs and things. 

Fitting a rear brace to a legacy wagon made a huge difference in feel, so I'm hoping for the same with the Carib, but the design of the strut tops makes mounting a brace in the normal way a bit shit (and there are zero off the shelf options for the wagon as it's different to the coupe/sedan). 

• Like 1

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I originally read that as saying it should bolt to the original mountng holes, but I guess that's not what it means. 

It's a luggage rack isn't it anyway :wink:

Linging here, but you can also do a mid brace across behind the front seats and use the lower belt bolts to mount it

I was talking to the local Repair Certifier yesterday and he suggested that doing the iCar welding test and certification would be a 'good thing' for getting approval on the woodie structural work.

So, I guess I better do that. It doesn't seem to need any formal associated with a business so that's good.

It is kind of spendy though

https://i-car.co.nz/course/automotive-steel-mig-welding-qualification-assessment/

Pretty sure it's more about the driveshaft hitting the ground and digging in. Obviously don't want it knocking around under the floor either, but in case of the van it's main job is to stop the pole vault i'd say.

Is there a catch or something with running a late model engine (1uz/ls1 etc) in a scratch built hotrod? I seem to remember something but can't recall. Does it mean the build has to comply with some frontal impact thingy or something that you would not have to consider if you were running a donk from out of the 60's/70's. Ta.

Emission standard

https://lvvta.org.nz/documents/standards/LVVTA_STD_Exhaust_Gas_Emissions.pdf

There are frontal impact requirements for a new scratch built vehicle but they are very basic and easy to meet

Its covered by doing things like leaving the front chassis rails unboxed forward of the suspension mounts, or putting holes in the rails , or using a smaller section material, etc etc  

i know theres some info on here somewhere but i cant find it

stolen, recovered vechicle (motorcycle)

I dont believe it ever had a VIN affixed (nz new, my gn doesnt have one) so just a frame number. Most of the frame number has been ground off. a few digits are visible, the rest may come up with a dye test thing?

Engine is in the bike still, and has its number.

naturally it has been sprayed matt black, but the original paint is under there

Rego is still live, and is now in my name

the guy i got it from, got it from the guy who it was stolen from

police dont have it on their stolen list (as it was recovered)

I would like to go wof/rego it and put it back on the road, but i believe i will need to submit it to be identified and have a vin affixed to it has an identity?

I dont have the original owners details (yet at least) so i wouldnt have the police paperwork regarding its identification and recovery.

Where do i go from here? rock up to motorcycle revin man for inspection and the process takes care of itself? or do i need to submit anything to Waka Kotahi?

Currently stripping the Datsun down and can see a cert needed in its future (EFI conversion)

Because of its past life as a racecar, it still has the cage mounts, are these likely to cause me any grief come cert time? mostly hidden, but if you know what you're looking at, they could be obvious. It only had a half cage so plate each side behind the front seats and two plates under the rear screen on the parcel shelf.

The floor ones make a handy jacking/axle stand point so kinda handy if I don't need to carve them out!

IMG_9809.jpeg.837854b82635eb7f88674bce16ed7ca3.jpeg

IMG_9808.jpeg.3cd2724c28ed82e0fff1bd478d468237.jpeg

1 minute ago, yoeddynz said:

@NickJ I thought EFI conversion was fine so long as you don't increase the power by 20% or thereabouts?

Likely larger capacity though :(

Weirdly the car is registered as an 1800 in the system which is one of the options

• Like 2