For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Buggered if I know...he's probably got it around the back of the house, and they need a reason to search. I'll have to hope for the next Meth bust.  I've put it back in my name twice now, so he's probably got a heads up that somethings wrong. If that's the case he'll get a new plate for it,easy enough.  I wasn't putting WoFs on it anymore, but had put a new axle in it 15 years ago - all I really want is the axle so I can build a new trailer.

• Like 1

Do any of you wof guys know when the virm rules for general trailers brakes changed?

In that now they have to be 20% balance and 50% efficiency.

There's a few trailers I know that are probably going to get their brakes removed because of this. They aren't required to have them, but it's too difficult and expensive to make them pass.

More safe?

How the hell do you test that? Most workshops don't have brake rollers. Mine included. 

Even with a brake roller, how would you test that? The dinky little handbrake lever puts on nowhere near the pressure as the tow hitch does

• Like 1

Wof guy backed the car up with the trailer on the rollers. Gave me a fail, 25% efficiency. 

I took the trailer back to the workshop wasting the customers money stripping and inspecting and finding brakes faultless. 

Went back, guy backed it up again, fail. Had to ask him if I could pull the lever (remember I'm not a general public, or I'd never be allowed in the lane) braced on the front of the trailer and managed to get 52% with my foot on the handle. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I've got another today that's an old axle made by BPW a commercial axle manufacturer. It's cable brakes, same tow hitch arrangement as a hydraulic override. Works fucking amazing.... 35% imbalance. No parts available because too old.

I think I'm going to cut the cables and weld the hitch solid.

Trailer weighs 940kg

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Mof said:

Wof guy backed the car up with the trailer on the rollers. Gave me a fail, 25% efficiency. 

I took the trailer back to the workshop wasting the customers money stripping and inspecting and finding brakes faultless. 

Went back, guy backed it up again, fail. Had to ask him if I could pull the lever (remember I'm not a general public, or I'd never be allowed in the lane) braced on the front of the trailer and managed to get 52% with my foot on the handle. 

It sounds more to me like something that is targeting electric trailer brakes?  Maybe?  Otherwise the variables on that are way too fucking wild to even attempt. 

It's a compressor trailer 

E.g:2081749293_images(9).jpeg.8c4b8f85c3b10bf859846f517370a276.jpeg

More loaded means more braking needed to get efficiency %.

I went somewhere else. They drove it up the lane, heavy braked a couple times, pass. 

Gah

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mof said:

It's a compressor trailer 

E.g:2081749293_images(9).jpeg.8c4b8f85c3b10bf859846f517370a276.jpeg

More loaded means more braking needed to get efficiency %.

I went somewhere else. They drove it up the lane, heavy braked a couple times, pass. 

Gah

Whats it weigh? Wouldn't be very heavvy. If its an issue just put an unbraked coupling on it?

I've mentioned this in another thread but I'll put it here as well

Now is your chance to have your say here

https://lvvta.org.nz/documents.html#consultation   on the wheels and tyres chapter of the CCM which is being updated

Theres a couple of issues but the big one in my opinion, is the mudguard  requirements,  which will be the same as the wof requirements. The problem is nobody enforces the wof rules so theres literally thousands of vehicles that dont comply, even brand new ones. 

The problem is once it's in the book, a car going through cert will need mudflaps fitted to pass...

I dont think it has been considered how many vehicles this will affect 

20210708_111118.png

Screenshot_20210708-111009_Drive.jpg

images.jpeg-45.jpg

20210706_100436.jpg

images.jpeg-41.jpg

images.jpeg-42.jpg

20210708_211636.jpg

20200702_213550.jpg

• Like 5