For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, RUNAMUCK said:

And say you were heading into a place with none?  

Just playing devils advocate......

Why are you asking people who are not policeman about what a policeman would do in a highly improbable scenario?

I'm sure the first time it happens to someone, we will all hear about it and no matter what we guess right now, we will probably be wrong.

The answer will either be the cop will do nothing, and you will scoff at the answer because ACAB, or the cop will do something and you will blow a fuse because ACAB.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, KKtrips said:

Why are you asking people who are not policeman about what a policeman would do in a highly improbable scenario?

I'm sure the first time it happens to someone, we will all hear about it and no matter what we guess right now, we will probably be wrong.

The answer will either be the cop will do nothing, and you will scoff at the answer because ACAB, or the cop will do something and you will blow a fuse because ACAB.

I think you're possibly being a little unfair; yes KKtrips (as admitted) was playing the devils advocate but the question was directed to a person who plays a pivotal part in the implementation of the regulations. 

No personal offence intended but the "all care and no responsibility - it's just my job"  argument just doesn't stack up well in todays world?

The new system seems like a good improvement that will reduce the ability for people to guess if the car is still running as per cert. For those times you don't have coverage, print it out as mentioned above if you are that concerned you will be unfairly treated for driving in a legal manner.

On 19/06/2021 at 19:42, cletus said:

Pretty hard to know until you fit it really. I've done 3 or 4 of those kits in Subaru's and all have had problems,  mostly with the sway bars hitting the steering or binding at extremes of suspension travel

Thanks. I'll do a bit of searching and see if this is a common issue with this kit (although I'd imagine they are all similar).

16 hours ago, RUNAMUCK said:

I wont do either actually.

I just surprised me that the new system has such a possibility to not work. I'm  not throwing shit at anybody.

Well if you are in an area of no cellphone reception, I expect they will probably end up looking over the vehicle, and either calling into control to look up the information or if it is during business hours, ask them to call LVVTA.

But to be honest most cops won't pull you over in the middle of nowhere for a modified vehicle check unless they see you being a dickhead and based on the response they get from the occupants of the vehicle, will either look for something to sticker you on, or give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that come WoF time, the WoF inspector will ping it.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

That's pretty consistent with my experience with driving modified cars on a daily basis , in 15 years I've been pulled over 3 times (and probably not at all in the last 8 years) and never had a ticket  

There has been numerous occasions where I've thought I was getting pulled over for sure but nope. Even driving past cops with pink stickers on the screen 

10 minutes ago, KKtrips said:

But he said, not many cops pull over modified cars because they are modified, they simply don't have time for the paperwork, they are nearly always pulled over because they are speeding or being a dickhead on the road and the modified side only becomes an issue where they occupants are failing the attitude test or there is obvious safety or public annoyance issues.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The only time I've ever been pinged for an illegally modified vehicle was when it was legal. Cop was a cock and was on the hunt, stickered me for being too low when it wasn't. Funnily I had been pulled over multiple times both prior and after coz they thought it wasn't legal but only this one cop was enough of a cock to be a dickhead. The system doesn't favour a 19 year old arguing against them either, even when you are in the right. Car was 105 mm with a full tank btw.

Never been pinged for any uncerted engine swaps, cut springs, ect that I of course have never done...

• Like 2

New tag system at work works great, had a car come through the shop the other day with one of the new RFID tags, -only issue was my iPhone 7 Plus didn’t like reading the NFC, but another workshop guys read it fine.

Easy as to scan, look at the pictures and make sure car looks the same as it does on there / see what it’s certed for. Waaaay more info than on a CERT tag. Even ment I could tell guy had changed his street tyres to the equivalent mud tyre versions on the same rims because it looked different from the photos.

• Like 9

Wondering if I could find the location of an AVIC.

Last year over lockdown I spent my days cutting down some trees. I couldn't take them to the tip, or down to my mates to put through his big chipper...so they sat in my trailer. Which was then stolen. Must've been for the firewood, and then sold to someone. Obviously he doesn't know it's stolen, and has registered it in his name. The cops have seen the trailer, know who it is....and that's  that.  They won't tell me where it is, but not in my town....although one asked if we had seen it, like maybe we should've if it's close to us.

Anyway, it got a WoF earlier this year. I've asked the identity of the issuing station, but even though we are an AVIC, they won't tell us. I'm not wanting to get anyone into trouble, not even the name of the place, just a location so I atleast have an idea - it may be in the next town...or on another island, I'd just like to know where.

AVIC ID is N17. Not an MS number, so I'm picking a VTNZ or such like.

• Sad 2