For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

1 hour ago, tortron said:

Clean it all before wof, its generally not a fail item but

my morrie dripped on a wof inspector when he had it idling over the pit and he was pissed

like no shit dude its gona drip no matter what if its sitting there idling

if its a bad leak then it can come down to being unsafe, dripping on soemthing important (brakes eg. i had an axle leak but it ran down the backing plate instead of inside so was all good)

One old and bold I spoke to with the same engine in another car made a little sump with a tap that bolted onto the bellhousing. It has an  Something similar to the below which is pretty funny. I don't believe my engine even has a rear main seal. Just a slinger that is supposed to send oil back into the sump. 

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, tortron said:

Please prove me wrong tho, that's all I can find related 

If I hear anything different I'll let you know. Thanks. 

My long suffering wof guy is used to the crap I bring in and we have a really good relationship by now. I'm moving soon and he is the only person I'll miss in this shitty town. 

Wof emissions requirements 

https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/general/exhaust/exhaust-emissions

Cert emission requirements (note these are only applied when an engine swap is certified or a scratch built vehicle is certified- a vehicle with it's original engine , even if modified, just has to comply with the wof virm)

https://lvvta.org.nz/documents/standards/LVVTA_STD_Exhaust_Gas_Emissions.pdf

3 hours ago, kyteler said:

Quick query re: lowering and 100mm clearance. 

The document states measured from structure of the vehicle but not including bodykits or exhaust, etc. 

Does it include the leaf perch/shock mount of a diff? 

I had a read and cant find any exclusion for that so I'd say yes it does include those parts in the 100mm minimum  

20210526_144457.jpg

20210526_144344.jpg

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, cletus said:

Oil leaks-

I have an extensive track record of accidentally organising complete shitboxes for my reviews with NZTA (I've been doing this job since 2006 and my last review was the first time I'd ever done the road test procedure with a reviewer, as all the other times there was too much stuff wrong with the cars to drive them) 

Anyway the first time I got reviewed it was an s13 that had a really bad oil leak at the rear main seal, like put it on the hoist and there was a 100mm puddle under the car

I failed it because I figured it was pretty hazardous to motorcyclists and I'd better be thorough because nzta man was there...

the reviewer marked me down because legally there was no rule I could fail it for that  

And that's my sharn about that

Blimey. Sounds like he had an axe to grind. 

How refreshing. 

5 hours ago, ajg193 said:

What are the rules around adding catalytic converters to old cars?

Please help me comprehend why you would want to do that? If the car didn't have a cat to start with there is a good chance it will clog it in the space of 5 min due to not enough heat in the exhaust system. Most early cat cars ran really retarded ignition timing to help with this issue. from memory emission tuning for a 2.5 trumpet is like 2BTDC where normal is 10BTDC.

• Like 4

Interested in adding a truck stack style exhaust to my Datsun 4wd project, because I'm a bogan essentially (also for practical/aesthetic reasons, but who cares about them).

Where do I find rules/guidelines on heat shielding and safety etc? It will be exiting 150mm + behind the rearmost window (I will double check that measurement but that's what I have in my head), have a Cat (because scratchbuilt) and be muffled enough to be legal. 

Just need to know about the safety aspects I am likely to be pulled up on. 

TIA

• Like 1

Just make it safe, and it requires something to reduce sound

4. An exhaust system must be designed, constructed, positioned and maintained in a way that minimises the risk of heat or fumes emitted from the system harming the vehicle’s occupants.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, WhangareiKE70 said:

That's the WOF requirements yeah? Are there any cert (specifically scratchbuilt) rules around this? Or is it one of those "talk to the certifier, each one has their own thresholds to be met for safe" type of dealios?

Theres some info in the engine and driveline chapter of the CCM 

And the rest is in the exhaust noise standard

https://lvvta.org.nz/documents/standards/LVVTA_STD_Exhaust_Noise_Emissions.pdf

Basically if its behind the cab, mounted properly, and has heat shielding around it where passengers/driver could possibly contact it then it will be ok  

• Like 1