For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

@cletus how often do you see old cars that have numbers that don't match? There was a Zephyr in the club I used to belong to that had been registered a year before it was built ie rego said it was a 1963 but the number stamped on the body indicated it had been built in 1964. What would be the go there if you had a car like that?

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, chasinthemirage said:

@cletus how often do you see old cars that have numbers that don't match? There was a Zephyr in the club I used to belong to that had been registered a year before it was built ie rego said it was a 1963 but the number stamped on the body indicated it had been built in 1964. What would be the go there if you had a car like that?

Surely only a Z foamer would notice that. That Oxford wagon had was tagges as a saloon in the NZTA system and that was never an issue for WOF's.

21 minutes ago, chasinthemirage said:

A certifier has to send it to a TSDA to sort out any discrepancies in the ID of the vehicle.

With old stuff it can be tricky because a lot dont have a stamped in number so swapping tags is very hard to pick up unless there is a difference in the body, ie if someone put VK commodore plates on a VH you'd notice because the body is different. 

Ive had quite a few cars that have never come back after being asked to sort out ID issues but most of them have been cars where it's been obvious,  ie the stamped in number in the firewall had been cut out and another one welded in  

The last old car I had with chassis number problems, was one that the owner had lost the tag when it got painted, i failed it, next time i saw it hed "found the number under some bog" but had obviously got a punch set and diy'd the number into the front panel, he painted the front so it looked semi legit but forgot about the back side and the primer and paint had cracked where hed punched the numbers in

It went to a TSDA to get a new vin, a bit of paperwork and a month or so of waiting and it got a new vin number on a proper tag  

• Like 3

Have had a few really dodgy ones over the years, a "mitsubishi lancer 1500cc" that had "been converted to a makkinen evo replica" 

And a "V6 commodore with a LS swap" that had really low kms and lots of weird rust almost like it had been hidden in a damp shed for 10 years and you could see where the SS stickers on the doors were and the engine number had been attacked with a chisel and the date tag on the belts didnt match the year on the rego and the vin tag under the glass had heaps of weird scratches on it 

Or the VE commodore that had a different vin on the bit under the carpet on the floor to under the glass and in the engine bay because whoever the crackhead that stole it didnt realise there was a chassis number in the floor 

• Like 5

Apologies for not scrolling every page for the answer or trying to go through the online manual on a small screen... 

My question is.... 

Can rubber fuel line be legally routed through the cabin of a road car? 

Then covered by carpet etc etc

9 minutes ago, shizzl said:

Apologies for not scrolling every page for the answer or trying to go through the online manual on a small screen... 

My question is.... 

Rigid fuel pipe or flexible purpose-designed automotive braided

stainless steel covered hose may be located within the passenger

compartment of a low volume vehicle, provided that:

(a) the hose cannot come in contact with either the driver or

other vehicle occupants during normal vehicle operation; and

(b) the pipe or hose is secured firmly against the floor at

intervals of no more than 300 mm (12”); and

(c) the hose can be readily inspected for wear or damage; and

(d) there are no pipe or hose joins or connections inside the

passenger compartment, other than for purpose-designed

bulkhead fittings

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kyteler said:

Rigid fuel pipe or flexible purpose-designed automotive braided

stainless steel covered hose may be located within the passenger

compartment of a low volume vehicle, provided that:

(a) the hose cannot come in contact with either the driver or

other vehicle occupants during normal vehicle operation; and

(b) the pipe or hose is secured firmly against the floor at

intervals of no more than 300 mm (12”); and

(c) the hose can be readily inspected for wear or damage; and

(d) there are no pipe or hose joins or connections inside the

passenger compartment, other than for purpose-designed

bulkhead fittings

Cheers mate.. 

I'm sure most fuel hose is braided anyway isn't it

On 28/04/2021 at 18:22, cletus said:

It went to a TSDA to get a new vin, a bit of paperwork and a month or so of waiting and it got a new vin number on a proper tag  

Who is the TSDA?

My car has a data entry error.  (The papers show the engine number as the chassis number. (And the engine number again as the engine number) the body tag shows the engine number (as per the registration papers) and also the actual chassis number.  It's clearly some herp-a-derp has monged out and entered the engine number twice when the system was digitized. 

It's pretty straight forward. But the last thing I need is a registration related ball ache.

You need a MR16 form - Application to change vehicle details.

Any NZTA agent should have them. Usually you just fill it out and they'll come back and ask you to provide photos to show the engine and chassis number stamps, should be pretty obvious in your case

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, shizzl said:

Providin you use the correct fuel line, have no connections inside the passenger compartment and it must use bulkhead fittings at each end, it should be OK. But it must also be able to be inspected, so covered by carpet is a no go.

30 minutes ago, KKtrips said:

Providin you use the correct fuel line, have no connections inside the passenger compartment and it must use bulkhead fittings at each end, it should be OK. But it must also be able to be inspected, so covered by carpet is a no go.

so implying more of an allowance for race/rally cars with stripped interiors

5 hours ago, 4AG_Addict said:

You need a MR16 form - Application to change vehicle details.

Any NZTA agent should have them. Usually you just fill it out and they'll come back and ask you to provide photos to show the engine and chassis number stamps, should be pretty obvious in your case

Superb.

I have another car where the papers say Ps10, when the tag says p510.

On 29/04/2021 at 17:17, shizzl said:

Out of curiosity, is there a reason you'd use rubber hose instead of a length of hard line?