si

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Hemi said:

Hey @cletus / @KKtrips
is this something that can be certed? for some reason i thodught onotching has to be welded, or it the other way around? 

Hide contents

dropped c10

Most of the time that sort of thing has to be welded. You might be able to get an exemption from lvvta if you followed the right process but it might be more hassle than its worth. You would probably need to modify parts of it anyway for it to comply so may as well just weld it in  

Like tortron said its probably to do with the skill level of the installer in its home market, like many other things, the fact that something bolts in/on in america is a big selling point  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Hemi said:

Hey @cletus / @KKtrips
is this something that can be certed? for some reason i thodught onotching has to be welded, or it the other way around? 

Hide contents

dropped c10

Looks like a serious bit of kit and would probably be overkill for anything other than an uber mega slam.

IMHO bolt on = fuck off.

Be like Mike and weld it in.

59 minutes ago, xsspeed said:

can they be trusted to find it when the time comes?

Its risky if you ask me.

A 2 year rebuild on a car could mean a bunch of different employees come and go, things go missing, inspection sites lose their authority and throw everything away, etc 

I find, in practice,  nobody knows about this requirement,  removes tags for paint, then come in for cert with them re attached with new rivets and new engine bay paint

Then we have to send them to vinz or vtnz to confirm that the id tag matches the car . Sometimes they return with a letter from the TSDA saying yep its sweet, some come back with a new 17 digit vin number attached

21 minutes ago, chasinthemirage said:

Do they use special rivets or anything? Just curious as to whether anyone would be able to tell whether they'd removed it or not.

No special rivets, it's pretty obvious when the tag has been removed for paint and refitted  

Hmm yeah might just mask it up tbh. With the glacial pace of progress on the car I'd rather not have an irreplaceable part at VTNZ for however long. Just as long as there's nothing under it contamination wise that will affect the new paint.

I feel like if I just removed it and went for a wof with it reattached its one of those things that could go either way tbh.

1 minute ago, chasinthemirage said:

I feel like if I just removed it and went for a wof with it reattached its one of those things that could go either way tbh.

95% of the time it will never get picked up. Lvv certifiers have been told to look for it specifically, it's in the wof virm but I'd say most wof inspectors wouldn't fail until theres a training update and then there will be a million cars that fail all of a sudden 

I got a bollocking from someone at NZTA once for looking at a vehicle that didnt have a vin number on it because it had been removed and lost when it was painted, Not even a proper cert inspection,  it was a pre check