For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have a ticket handy for the cert car, but carjam says 14-Sep-1990. The car that I can check the actual ticket on says 1/89 and carjam says 25-jan 1989, so i'll assume the carjam dates are correct for now. Can try find an old ticket for the other car if needed though.

From what I have read (which could be a wrong interpretation, hence asking the pros in here) the following documents and come up with my thoughts.

Due to being retrofit previous to 1 January 1991, the anchorages must comply with 2.3 below, but not with an approved vehicle standard.

So my theory is so long as it meets 2.3 requirements, it should be ok. 

Vehicle falls within table 2.2 https://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/rules/seatbelts-and-seatbelt-anchorages-2002/#table22

https://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/rules/seatbelts-and-seatbelt-anchorages-2002/#416a

Retrofitted seatbelt anchorages that are not required to comply with approved vehicle standards

4.1(6)     A seatbelt anchorage that is retrofitted must comply with 2.3, but does not have to comply with an approved vehicle standard if it is retrofitted in a motor vehicle:

• (a) before 1 January 1991, and the vehicle is one to which Table 2.2 applies; or
  • (b) before 1 April 2002, and the vehicle is one to which Table 2.1 applies.

https://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/rules/seatbelts-and-seatbelt-anchorages-2002/#23

2.3     General safety requirements for seatbelt anchorages

2.3(1)     A seatbelt anchorage and its mounting location:

• (a) must be of a strength appropriate to both the motor vehicle and the attached seatbelt; and
  • (b) must be structurally sound and free of corrosion; and
  • (c) must not be damaged or distorted.

2.3(2)     When a seatbelt or part of a seatbelt is integral to a seat, the seat and the seat anchorages must be compatible in strength with the seatbelt or with that part of the seatbelt attached to the seat, as appropriate.

2.3(3)     In assessing whether 2.3(1) is complied with, a person in section 5 may take into account evidence that the seatbelt anchorage is within the motor vehicle manufacturer’s operating limits.

2.3(4)     In assessing whether 2.3(2) is complied with, a person in section 5 may take into account evidence that a seat or seat anchorage is within the motor vehicle manufacturer’s or component manufacturer’s operating limits, including the type of seatbelt for which it was originally designed.

1 hour ago, Bling said:

I don't have a ticket handy for the cert car, but carjam says 14-Sep-1990. The car that I can check the actual ticket on says 1/89 and carjam says 25-jan 1989, so i'll assume the carjam dates are correct for now. Can try find an old ticket for the other car if needed though.

Will be fine as its pre 92.

Date of first registration proves the belts are fitted prior to 92,  as it would have been a requirement to have lap and diagonal belts fitted when it was first registered in 89

20210415_161000.jpg

• Thanks 1

Great thanks for clarifying that, one less thing to sort. I'll get some proper anchorage plates to replace what is in there currently though as I'm not 100% happy with current setup. Just good to know it's not something that will need to be to current specs. 

Cheers.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. Will stick with the current setup up in that case. If the underside of the parcel tray was flush i'd put in the required plates, but it's not close to being flush so easier option is to just leave as is. If I get time I may template it and see what the seatbelt shop have in stock. 

Just now, CUL8R said:

@ Clint, lap belts from a proper 5 point harness in a factory lap belt car - legal or no go?

Lever latch style like this;

Nascar 5 Point Harness

Unfortunately not, can only be used on a scratchbuilt vehicle with 1 row of seats or it requires motorsport authority card.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, KKtrips said:

Unfortunately not, can only be used on a scratchbuilt vehicle with 1 row of seats or it requires motorsport authority card.

Re above. Can you used "expired" speedway belts? In a standard stock you can't run belts over a year or two old. Dad's got a couple that are brand new, still in the packaging. Yay-nay? 

11 hours ago, CUL8R said:

@ Clint, lap belts from a proper 5 point harness in a factory lap belt car - legal or no go?

Lever latch style like this;

Nascar 5 Point Harness

Are you talking about just using the lap part only? Not the shoulder belts/ball squasher?

That wouldn't be legal either as a belt has to be used as a set. I had a quick look for lever latch style belts if that's the look you are after but couldnt find any with a standard marking 

Your other potential problem is there is a rule to do with lap belts in the front of cars, post 55 should be lap and diagonal, apart from the vehicles that meet the requirements for not having to have an upper anchorage .

One of those exemptions is, in some cases, a car can retain it's original lap belts if they are in good condition, but as soon as you fit a replacement belt then it has to be lap and diagonal. Have had that come up a few times where someone with a mustang or camaro thinks they are doing the right thing by fitting nice new lap belts but that tips it into needing upper anchorages fitting and cert 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cletus said:

Vehicles that meet the requirements for not having to have an upper anchorage .

That is applicable to production vehicles, correct? I've been told by LVVTA that I MUST fabricate an upper anchorage for my belts. Yet I was told (some time ago) by a former LVVTA certifier that lap belts would suffice. As I'm not going 4 seater anymore I was going to run harnesses as they are cheaper than Web grab lap and diagonal belts. I'm wanting to know whether (if you use harnesses) they need to be "in date". For stockcars they expire, I can get some brand new expired belts. Also trying to find someone who can offer some guidance around the mounting of harnesses if I can use them

Theres nothing in the lvvta rules that mentions the date on a harness 

Scratch built vehicle 100% must have upper anchorages  

There are other requirements when you use harness belts which may affect your decision to use them, if it's just a cost thing 

CCM is available free to download now , that and the frontal impact standard on lvvta.org.nz should have all the info you need  

7 minutes ago, cletus said:

CCM is available free to download now , that and the frontal impact standard on lvvta.org.nz should have all the info you need  

I'm one of the bone heads that paid for it 8 years ago. I emailed regarding any changes (the copy is registered to my Mother) and got no reply. I don't recall ever seeing anything in my HCM regarding frontal impact compliance, but then again I don't have a very good comprehension of technical jargon. 

In saying that if I built basically a scaled down version of a half cage to the standards I have should suffice?