For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, 87creepin said:

@cletus something that has no business being certed, a 4afe ae101 haha. I'm just working out costs of lowering my daily.

https://www.vogtland.com/en/sport-lowering-springs-toyota-corolla-type-e10-e11-e11-u-up-to-85-kw-1820

Running these in my AE112R with KYBs. A ton better than shitty jamex and well priced, even with shipping. They were cheaper than a set of Kings. I got mine on special for about 155 euro shipped.

its settled a little since this photo, but its a good height. -35mm all around.

IMG_20210202_175430.jpg

• Like 4

@kws I'm guessing theyd work with non superstrut fine? I'm considering KYB AGX front excel g rear and whatever decent spring I can find. Yahoo japan has RS*R but I'll have to find a corolla wag or ceres Marino at pick a part to just make sure they are non-ss. Pretty sure they ain't, just better to be safe than sorry.

On 30/03/2021 at 20:45, cletus said:

put some BC's in it then you have to pay for another cert because they wont match the photos on the cert

This seems to be an interesting byproduct of the new tags over plates.

Say you went through cert to with quality coilovers that have nobody in NZ willing to rebuild them.  5-10 years down the line of daily driving on our shit chipseal roads and they're due for a rebuild. Unaffordable to send offshore for a rebuild, and say the product line was discontinued.

You now can't just get another set of BCs for example, as you'll fail the next wof if they go by the book?

I get that it has probably always been the case, but without any more detail on a plate than "Adj Suspn" its never been an issue.

Yeah the biggest issue /most asked question I get is wheels- if a car is certed on 15x8 wheels then under the old plate deal it was a free for all as long as the wheels were 15x8 then you were sweet 

Now there will be pics of the wheels on the cert, I've had dozens of people having a moan that they wont be able to swap wheels. 

I dont think the intention with the old plate system was to allow any wheel of that size to be ok but it has become that way, I rang LVVTA and asked what the deal was with different wheels of the same size on the new tag system and the answer was "should be ok"   

So I guess we will have to see what happens. 

I personally dont think it should be a free for all if just the size matches, as there are many situations where changing wheels even with the same size causes issues,

had a chev truck come through the other day with same size wheels as cert, but the load rating was way less than the GVM

Stud length,  wheel nut/seat type, and offset differences causing tyre rub are other potential problems 

I had a guy with a low rider with tiny tyres and cheap knock off rims which failed on a few issues cert his car on 14x7 alloys with some adaptors so that the cert appeared to be for the wheels he wanted, which didnt comply

• Like 3

I think what annoys people is having to get a cert for something lame like coilovers and then not being able to change wheel size where if you just fitted lowering springs you can change wheels/heights without a problem 

• Like 4

No one cares. LVVTA will have photos though, so don't stack it into something as you'll be paying off their repairs forever.

The reason you can't make changes is because people in general are stupid and don't know what is and isn't safe. So everyone has to suffer. If you want to swap wheels like you do underwear, stick within the rules to not need a cert. If you want the freedom to run the likes of coilovers and aftermarket brakes, then you play by a different rule book. Doesn't matter what you do, people will get upset at something.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bling said:

LVVTA will have photos though, so don't stack it into something as you'll be paying off their repairs forever

It won't make any difference. Where do people get the idea from that if you don't have a wof insurance is void

I never said that? 

You specifically said you are going to drive the vehicle with parts that it is not certified to have installed. So my point was (didn't think i'd need to explain it I guess), if you stack it, they can look at the photos and if they determine the changes you made contributed to the accident, you're up shit creek. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bling said:

I never said that? 

You specifically said you are going to drive the vehicle with parts that it is not certified to have installed. So my point was (didn't think i'd need to explain it I guess), if you stack it, they can look at the photos and if they determine the changes you made contributed to the accident, you're up shit creek. 

Lol good luck to them proving that changing brand coulivers and fitting oem size wheels contributed to a crash

19 minutes ago, M.H. said:

Lol good luck to them proving that changing brand coulivers and fitting oem size wheels contributed to a crash

The insurance company doesn't have to prove anything. It's totally at their discretion whether they'd pay out or not, and if the car is no longer in the state it was originally insured for, it's essentially breaching your contract. That goes for any modification really, regardless of legality.

This isn't the insurance thread though so let's move on.

Yeah I regret mentioning it now, but it was mainly in case those that don't actually know they will be up shit creek, now know if they read the thread. Dude probably won't have insurance on the pile anyway so it was totally a hypothetical.