For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

I've failed a wof on rust before. I just had to get the panelbeaters to print me out a letter on their letter head which stated that 'rust on x pillar has been repaired with welded-in steel plates'.

ebay coilovers: 

can they pass a cert? I just want something that's a bit more adjustable than lowering springs that will be alright for looks and back road drives, not race spec. 

Following this article it seems pretty straightforward http://lowvolumevehicle.co.nz/resource-pages/suspension/ , but dont coilovers have to be a reputable brand? I remember reading something about them having to be a reputable brand, but may be thinking about some other suspension component! 

Thanks in advance 

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That link is to a page run by a disgruntled ex certifier who got sued by lvvta for defamation so I wouldn't put too much emphasis on what's on there

I wouldn't certify a no name brand coilover, I dunno about other certifiers but in my opinion it's not worth the risk to say some cheap crap is all good when I have no idea what the insides are made like 

I have seen a set of china coilovers that the piston fell off the end of the shaft and it all flopped around and destroyed itself 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Out of interest for coilover manufacturers.  What about Japanese brands that aren't well known here?

I've got some KTS coilovers which seems to be somewhat common in Japan, but a tier below the name brands, ie HKS, Apexi, Tein etc.

Would a quick google from the certifier be enough to see that its not a shit chinese brand, or will i run into issues as its likely they'd have never had them presented for cert previously?

Depends on the certifier I guess, and their level of experience with japanese parts. I cant speak for other certifiers but you can usually tell just from looking at something whether its shit or not , or at least if you need to investigate further 

I cant remember ever failing any Japanese brands on quality issues, lots of worn out problems though. 

Especially when 20+year old imports from japan got popular

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, cletus said:

Depends on the certifier I guess, and their level of experience with japanese parts. I cant speak for other certifiers but you can usually tell just from looking at something whether its shit or not , or at least if you need to investigate further 

I cant remember ever failing any Japanese brands on quality issues, lots of worn out problems though. 

Especially when 20+year old imports from japan got popular

Hi mate, not trying to beat up the messenger (wouldn't want your job for all the tea in China!)  but it does raise a question. I'm interested to know if you are given any specific guidelines or is the  subjective "you can usually tell just from looking at something whether its shit or not" that you have to rely on? If so that's a huge amount of potential personal liability you have to shoulder and the obvious question is do you guys get any public liability cover?

10 hours ago, sr2 said:

I'm interested to know if you are given any specific guidelines or is the  subjective "you can usually tell just from looking at something whether its shit or not" that you have to rely on? If so that's a huge amount of potential personal liability you have to shoulder and the obvious question is do you guys get any public liability cover?

Yes, there are 

Lvv standards

The car construction manual

Info sheets

Certifier email updates

Newsletters

Usually training twice a year 

NZTA sends a reviewer every two years to be present while a vehicle is certified, and the certifier has to show all their paperwork and recording systems to prove they are doing things properly 

Random jobs are desktop audited when they go through LVVTA for processing as well. 

So the shit/not shit assessment is like that adjustable spanner in your toolbox, you dont use it often because there are better tools available most of the time

As for coverage, we have to have insurance policies for public liability and professional indemnity as part of our operating requirements 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Yes there is the technical advisory committee that meets once a month to look at design approvals, people wanting do do different stuff that isn't covered by the rules or is outside of what the rules say, things like that  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cletus said:

Yes, there are 

Lvv standards

The car construction manual

Info sheets

Certifier email updates

Newsletters

Usually training twice a year 

NZTA sends a reviewer every two years to be present while a vehicle is certified, and the certifier has to show all their paperwork and recording systems to prove they are doing things properly 

Random jobs are desktop audited when they go through LVVTA for processing as well. 

So the shit/not shit assessment is like that adjustable spanner in your toolbox, you dont use it often because there are better tools available most of the time

As for coverage, we have to have insurance policies for public liability and professional indemnity as part of our operating requirements 

Good to hear re the public liability insurance, it's becoming a minefield out there.

The other one that's out there to trip you up is Worksafe who have been getting very aggressive  - to say the least!  (I've been working in the industry of late).

I wouldn't be surprised if Worksafe classified you guys as PCBU's (I'm presuming you're not employees?),could be worthwhile checking what policy's re duty of care need to be in place. 

My old boss was doing a cert on some vehicle a number of years back, and during the brake test one of the calipers departed company. He saved it, barely, but what's the go if the car did fly off the road and fuck up the certifier?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yowzer said:

My old boss was doing a cert on some vehicle a number of years back, and during the brake test one of the calipers departed company. He saved it, barely, but what's the go if the car did fly off the road and fuck up the certifier?

I dunno, I guess if the certifier missed something and there was an accident due to that then they would be held responsible as well as being injured

2 hours ago, 87creepin said:

So Maxspeedingrods are a hard no? Lol

I wouldn't cert them. Other certifiers might, I dont know.  

What sort of car have you got? 

A set of aliexpress shocks seems to average $700 by the time they are here

A set of BC retails on average $1700 , but I have heard of them being a bit cheaper 

A cert is going to cost around $650 regardless of what brand 

So you might save a grand if you can find someone to certify them, but you are likely going to need another set when they spring a leak in 6 months time, or the lower bushes give out, or the piston falls off the end of the shaft or the car handles like shit or whatever.  Then if you get sick of buying replacement maxspeedingrods and put some BC's in it then you have to pay for another cert because they wont match the photos on the cert 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, cletus said:

I dunno, I guess if the certifier missed something and there was an accident due to that then they would be held responsible as well as being injured

I don't know what part actually failed but apparently there was no visible fault prior to the road test

• Like 1