For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Yowzer said:

As long as they have a sticker stating their tow and load ratings to ignore it'll be fine. 

Workmate fails towbars all the time, it's lols / annoying coz fuck fixing towbars.

As far as I'm aware there is nothing in the vrims about tow bar load rating documentation and he would therefore have no right to fail them?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, M.H. said:

Yea towbars and light trailers dont actually have any real regulations, kinda scary but no one has died so not much of a worry

Excepting the case of the trailer that broke the drawbar and crossed the centreline and head-on'ed with a vehicle coming the other way.

6 minutes ago, KKtrips said:

Excepting the case of the trailer that broke the drawbar and crossed the centreline and head-on'ed with a vehicle coming the other way.

Like this?

https://www.nzta.govt.nz/assets/Vehicles/vehicle-safety-alerts/Product-recall-Bunnings-Trailpro-and-TP1-revocation-questions-and-answers-202003.pdf

2 hours ago, ajg193 said:

As far as I'm aware there is nothing in the vrims about tow bar load rating documentation and he would therefore have no right to fail them?

Wof inspectors have the right to fail whatever they feel like actually. Besides, this was the auditor who brought this on. Previously we paid no attention to towbars. Because as you say, there's nothing in the virm. But you try telling the auditor they're wrong.

• Like 1

Pretty much. A lot is due to corrosion or shit mounting, but you can usually tell when some joker is gonna drag a 2T boat on something that's probably only rated for 750kg. As far as I'm concerned that's not our problem, but apparently a sticker is needed to ensure the blame is on the owner or some shit.

• Like 1

Hi, 
In the case of coilover suspension like this, where there's a height adjustable section at the bottom (which means the shock assembly can be completely removed from the part that mounts to the hub) 

Would it be okay to cut off those mounting points for the hub, and put some new ones on to fit a different hub bolt spacing/angle? 

I'd assume it would need tig and crack test.

1221.jpg.181f8021169c5ae5b30baa5d8d91eec2.jpg

57 minutes ago, Yowzer said:

Pretty much. A lot is due to corrosion or shit mounting, but you can usually tell when some joker is gonna drag a 2T boat on something that's probably only rated for 750kg. As far as I'm concerned that's not our problem, but apparently a sticker is needed to ensure the blame is on the owner or some shit.

What about a situation where a car has a dealer option genuine towbar from 38 years ago and never had a load rating?

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, ajg193 said:

What about a situation where a car has a dealer option genuine towbar from 38 years ago and never had a load rating?

It fails due to rust

Nah fucked if I know. After seeing how much fun the guys were having with the auditing I was more than happy to not have my wof ticket

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roman said:

Hi, 
In the case of coilover suspension like this, where there's a height adjustable section at the bottom (which means the shock assembly can be completely removed from the part that mounts to the hub) 

Would it be okay to cut off those mounting points for the hub, and put some new ones on to fit a different hub bolt spacing/angle? 

I'd assume it would need tig and crack test.

1221.jpg.181f8021169c5ae5b30baa5d8d91eec2.jpg

Yep that could be done if you do it like you say 

If it was me I'd try and incorporate some extra gussets rather than just 2 bits of flat bar butt welded on , some coilover brands do this, some do not

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, ajg193 said:

The new LVVTA online data system is pretty nice. All it needs now is a sale price box and trademe could be put out of business

https://lookup.lvvta.org.nz/search/?search_id=r3vznnobh1dg

@cletus I hope you made him rectify those short window winder handles

I would have thought they would have that stuff behind a secure login...?

• Like 1