For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really spamming this thread these days.

I'm interested in converting my spring and shock rear to coilover. What needs to be done in terms of strengthening the turret and the mount on the diff.

Here's how the shocks mount to the diff normally:

s-l640.jpg.775e28c994db4c1d25db7f61101d1754.jpg

Here's the turret:

IMG_20210221_174349.jpg.d4a588af020457c07028d14515139359.jpg

And I also have the cage in the rear that I could potentially tie it in to (sorry for this shocking photo, I hope you get the idea):

IMG_20210221_174524.jpg.e09ffdfbac01d6a7897576a74922f482.jpg

Cheers boys.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, zep said:

I'm really spamming this thread these days.

I'm interested in converting my spring and shock rear to coilover. What needs to be done in terms of strengthening the turret and the mount on the diff.

Here's how the shocks mount to the diff normally:

s-l640.jpg.775e28c994db4c1d25db7f61101d1754.jpg

Here's the turret:

IMG_20210221_174349.jpg.d4a588af020457c07028d14515139359.jpg

And I also have the cage in the rear that I could potentially tie it in to (sorry for this shocking photo, I hope you get the idea):

IMG_20210221_174524.jpg.e09ffdfbac01d6a7897576a74922f482.jpg

Cheers boys.

Probably something you need to discuss with your certifier to make sure you are on the same page, as that is something that isn't specifically covered in the rule book.

The most common scenario where that mod happens is KP starlets, I've done 3 or 4 of those where that mod has been done and the usual method is some strengthening the top shock mount = stitch welding the joints in the oe panel, making a brace that goes between the two top mounts and ties it back down to the floor which has a crossmember underneath 

If you can tie it into the cage that would be good if the bars are in a suitable place

The lower mount looks fairly strong as is so maybe a bit of extra welding for peace of mind 

A few questions from me for a potential purchase I’m looking at

Car is an Aussie import, the owner says he has paper work and has taken it for a cert check - and has supplied me with the cert check fail list.  Big list of small things, so I’m comfortable I can fix most.

If I bring the car from elsewhere in the country to Auckland, I’m presuming I pay a new certifier to conduct a new check? 

Once the cert is complete, is it a simple process to get a VIN wof and reg? 

Yep you can take to a different certifier no problem 

You will need a vin number put on the car before you can get a lvv cert finalized, the VTNZ/VINZ/AA can do that without doing the entry certification check (you dont want to get that done as you only get 28 days to get the whole thing finished) 

Once you have your LVV cert then get the entry certification check done 

Usually pretty simple if you dont need a repair cert, it's basically a more extensive wof if you have all the right paperwork 

• Thanks 1

Cheers Clint,

Still a small risk that the car may have had repairs in the past that I'm unaware of that may be revealed in the entry certification check then ...

Looks like the guy has a VIN number assigned to the car (as it's on the cert check he sent me).

Is there a way to check that this cert check paper work he's provided me is legit?  Might sound a little paranoid, but just wanna make sure.

I have checked the VIRM here: https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/general/towing-connections/light-vehicle-towbar-and-fifth-wheel for towbar requirements and it doesn't really say (for light vehicles) there are any requirements for towbars to be of a certain standard. I know people knock them up all the time. 

My question is, can I rock a RockAuto towbar on my vehicle no worries? Even with shipping the cost is ~$420. Just asking in general really. How I read it, is it's sweet. But then i'm also not a heavy fabricator to know how legit the below design is.

Looks like this, make by https://www.drawtite-hitches.com/ and they appear to have sold zillions of towbars.

Sweet cheers. A google search shows that it's actually built out of quite thick plate, so i'm now pretty confident that it's up to the task. Just wasn't sure if I was missing anything WOF wise. But from the towbars i've seen on cars i'm assuming so long as they are of sound construction, it's an area not actually regulated for light vehicles.