For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

On 07/02/2021 at 21:57, Toddy415 said:

So what's the go with rules regarding having a head lining or not? Some people say you can get a wof without one some say you have to have one or does it depend on wof place?

This is fun when you have vintage commercial vehicles that never had one.

Comes under interior projections. If it's a single cab then there's nothing but flat roof to hit.

I have always gotten a wof with no headliner but every now and then someone will say but it will hurt your head in a crash. Explaining that if you hit your head on the roof 2mm of foam isn't going to help usually makes them go away

https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/general/vehicle-interior/interior-impact

Get a cert for changing your doorcards from fabric to vinyl 

• Like 2

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, MRWEST said:

@cletus couple of questions for you

Whats the story with suspension droop. I feel like iv been told you need 35mm of droop when jacking a car up to pass a ?cert? , cant remember exact details.
Is this right or am I dreaming?

Also the multi fit spacers are a no no from what iv seen on your insta storys etc, are there any spacers apart from full bolt on ones that are legal (eg the hubcentric ones with only your stud pattern on)? just need to clear wilwoods with flat faced wheels.

Cheers

Minimum of 40mm suspension droop (unless some really lightweight thing like a Lotus 7 replica)

Spacer requirements start from page 17 - https://lvvta.org.nz/documents/standards/LVVTA_STD_Wheels_&_Tyres.pdf

Spacer requirements for all wheels
2.5(1) A wheel spacer fitted to a low volume vehicle between the wheel and hub assembly, other than that fitted as original equipment by a high volume vehicle manufacturer, must:
(a)be purposed-designed for automotive applications, and either be manufactured by a recognised automotive wheel spacer manufacturer, or be manufactured by a person who is recognised by an LVV Certifier as:
       (i) being competent and experienced in the type of work being undertaken; and
       (ii) having the necessary equipment to carry out the manufacturing process correctly; and
(b) have a maximum spacing of each wheel away from the hub surface of 20 mm; and
(c) be manufactured from a solid block of suitable material; and
(d) have two machined or die-cast surfaces that are parallel, and contain minimal indentations or irregularities; and
(e) be fitted as to ensure the wheel locates snugly over the hub spigot so that the hub carries the weight of the wheel assembly instead of the wheel studs, or where there is a mis-match between the hub spigot and the wheel centre, a close tolerance fit center bore locator must be provided; and
(f) be set-screwed or attached by another secure method to either the wheel or hub face; and
(g) maintain, with the spacer fitted, not less than the minimum required amount of wheel stud or bolt engagement; (see below) and
(h) not be fitted in conjunction with another wheel spacer or wheel adaptor.

Additional spacer requirements for cast aluminium wheels
2.5(2) A wheel spacer fitted to a low volume vehicle with cast aluminium wheels, or any other wheels that incorporate a full hub contact surface area, in addition to meeting 2.5(1), may incorporate additional holes within the spacer for multi-fitting purposes, provided that:
(a) the spacer is designed to fit only one stud configuration; and
(b) there is sufficient material provided between the multi-fit holes in order to resist deformation of the spacer.

Additional spacer requirements for pressed steel wheels
2.5(3) A wheel spacer fitted to a low volume vehicle with pressed steel wheels, or any other wheels which incorporate a minimal hub contact surface area, in addition to meeting 2.5(1), must not incorporate any additional holes within the spacer other than those used to:
(a) where the design of the hub assembly allows,locate the centre hub spigot to the wheel, which must be a close tolerance fit; and
(b) attach the spacers to the hub face or wheel rim; and
(c) enable the wheel studs being used to attach the wheel to pass through, which must match the stud pattern of the vehicle

NOTE: ‘Configuration’ means, within the context of 2.5(2)(a), that whilst a spacer can be of a multi-fitting design in that it fits varying pitch circle diameters, it must be of a type that will fit either a four-stud wheel ora five-stud wheel, but not both. Spacers that will fit both four-stud andfive-stud wheels must not be used in any situations.

Wheel stud or bolt engagement
2.4(4)  A wheel stud or bolt attaching a wheel to a low volume vehicle must engage into or through the corresponding nut or hub assembly by either:
(a) not less than the diameter of the stud thread; or
(b)  a specified number of full turns of thread engagement, which must be not less than:
    (i) in the case of a 12 mm metric stud or bolt with a 1.5 mm coarse thread pitch, 6.5 turns; or
    (ii) in the case of a 12 mm metric stud or bolt with a 1.25 mm fine thread pitch, 7.5 turns; or
    (iii) in the case of a 14 mm metric stud or bolt with a 1.5 mm coarse thread pitch, 7.5 turns; or
    (iv) in the case of a 7/16 inch, 1/2 inch, or 3/8 inchimperial stud or bolt, 7.5 turns; or
(c) in the case of an unmodified hub assembly,not less than that originally provided for the fitment by the original vehicle manufacturer.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MRWEST said:

@cletus couple of questions for you

Whats the story with suspension droop. I feel like iv been told you need 35mm of droop when jacking a car up to pass a ?cert? , cant remember exact details.
Is this right or am I dreaming?

Also the multi fit spacers are a no no from what iv seen on your insta storys etc, are there any spacers apart from full bolt on ones that are legal (eg the hubcentric ones with only your stud pattern on)? just need to clear wilwoods with flat faced wheels.

Cheers

Yeah either 40mm, or 1/3rd total suspension travel. Which with some coilovers,  is less than 40 .  might be where your 35mm story came from 

Theres a place in manukau that makes very good quality spacers and adapters, znoelli.co.nz 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

exempt class a means this 

https://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicles/licensing-rego/exemptions/exemption-from-paying-registration-and-licensing-fees/

so its exempt from paying normal rego fees, but still needs to be registered. 

Logging truck?

If its a passenger car or something thats somehow ended up on class A status that might be a bit of an annoyance but you should be able to get that updated with a little paperwork. People sometimes/usedto do it to get away with cheap rego, but it would be a fine if you are caught doing it. 

• Thanks 1

Exempt Class A is farm vehicles that have to cross the road every now and then.

Probably some struggling cow cockie registering his 2019 Audi Q7 on the cheap because milk solids only gave him a high 6 figure take home pay last year instead of a low 7 figure.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I had a car that had a paper cert done by a garage that is long gone, I rang Wellington and they advised it was not on record and that I send it to them so they can update their records. Is this still accepted these days or not as I thought at the time it could be made on any computer these days.

BTW the cert was nothing more than a minor engine swap and was a bolt in swap however I changed it from carb to injection as the induction was not mentioned and the engine used came out with both.

9 hours ago, tortron said:

exempt class a means this 

https://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicles/licensing-rego/exemptions/exemption-from-paying-registration-and-licensing-fees/

so its exempt from paying normal rego fees, but still needs to be registered. 

Logging truck?

If its a passenger car or something thats somehow ended up on class A status that might be a bit of an annoyance but you should be able to get that updated with a little paperwork. People sometimes/usedto do it to get away with cheap rego, but it would be a fine if you are caught doing it. 

Not a logging truck, anglia van.

I'll have to see how much of a mission it will be to swap it back to normal use.

2 hours ago, holdenman said:

I had a car that had a paper cert done by a garage that is long gone, I rang Wellington and they advised it was not on record and that I send it to them so they can update their records. Is this still accepted these days or not as I thought at the time it could be made on any computer these days.

BTW the cert was nothing more than a minor engine swap and was a bolt in swap however I changed it from carb to injection as the induction was not mentioned and the engine used came out with both.

If the car itself wasn't EFI to begin with it'll require a recert even if there was an EFI option available from factory

• Like 1

4 hours ago, holdenman said:

Vehicle has been changed since declaration and won't match. So it requires cert. 

Anything that matches the declaration will be assessed to general safety requirements and recorded on the plate as such. Anything not listed or that does not match will need to meet current requirements. 

• Like 1

Drilling a hole in far corner of a panel attached to the front side of chassis to fit a intake charge pipe to go behind the bumper- 

I'm assuming this requires a cert as even though I'm "boring" out the existing hole which is like 2.5" in diameter to 3-4 its changing the vehicle structure? Falls under intercooler rules I'm guessing 

7 hours ago, 87creepin said:

Drilling a hole in far corner of a panel attached to the front side of chassis to fit a intake charge pipe to go behind the bumper- 

I'm assuming this requires a cert as even though I'm "boring" out the existing hole which is like 2.5" in diameter to 3-4 its changing the vehicle structure? Falls under intercooler rules I'm guessing 

Technically yes does require cert  

12 minutes ago, Abarth said:

Fitted a bucket seat to the Punto but the replacement rails don’t have the attachment for the seat belt clasp.

Do guys just mount them to the trans tunnel with those FIA plates and attach the OG seat belt clasp to that?

Use the correct doubler plates to mount it to the trans tunnel and get it certified. The standard you need is to follow from half way down page 27 - https://lvvta.org.nz/documents/standards/LVVTA_STD_Seatbelts_& Seatbelt_Anchorages.pdf

15 minutes ago, Abarth said:

Fitted a bucket seat to the Punto but the replacement rails don’t have the attachment for the seat belt clasp.

Do guys just mount them to the trans tunnel with those FIA plates and attach the OG seat belt clasp to that?

Kk covered the mounting

The hard part is if it is a fixed back bucket with high sides you have to get the belt to fit through the slots 

Which can be tricky to achieve 

• Like 1