For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

On 14/10/2020 at 09:31, sheepers said:

hey whats the go with brake calipers without dust boots.

is this verboten?

7 hours ago, NickJ said:

Possible to clarify piston or slide? Could be very pertinent to us as piston boots are NLA for a vehicle we're about to re-reg

It's never been an issue before, willwood and many other aftermarket calipers dont have dust boots on the pistons

However if the caliper is an oem one and was designed to have dust boots or slide boots then it is likely it would fail, I've never had that come up before  

• Like 1

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey @cletus

Are the storys regarding re drilling of brake rotors for stud pattern change no longer being legal correct? Car in question will need both a vin and LVVTA cert

Eg 4 Pot S4/5 RX7 Calipers and rotors redrilled for 4x110 or 4x114.3 PCD.

Just want to confirm before i get rid of my brake setup iv got an go find something else too use...

Cheers

On 06/08/2020 at 12:02, cletus said:

Last training session we had, there was a plan to get rid of plates and replace them with a small plastic disc with a chip in it, that you could scan and it would take you to a website or app or something with photos of the vehicle as certified, and much greater detail on vehicle mods than can be fitted on the plate 

@kyteler do you even read this thread brah? Page 357 and 358 has some yarns from Clint and KK.

xoxo

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Beaver said:

@kyteler do you even read this thread brah? Page 357 and 358 has some yarns from Clint and KK.

xoxo

Ah yep.  Cheers Beav. 

That's pretty neat.  I assume police will be able to scan too then.  Circumventing people's changes post cert.  I imagine if it plays out well enough it'll transition to warrant checks too. 

Good wee read. Makes a lot of sense but I'm sure there'll be complaints about change.  Certifiers will also have to ensure their photographs are entirely representative of the vehicle and all its modified states so no doubt whilst there is some time to be saved vs. the engraved plates I'm sure it'll be gobbled up by the other tasks. 

No perfect solution I guess. But nine times out of ten i'd say the changes people have made post cert will be obvious. Chopped out another 50mm, wheels now @ -5 degrees. Gotta be better than hoping for the best. If WOF man has a concern about a modification they can check photos pretty easily. I don't recall the last car I saw with a cert that was still passable. 

RFID is in all sorts and doesn't seem to care about 240v running and the likes. So probably no issue?

• Like 1

The best thing is we can fit it at time of inspection and dont have to wait for the plate to come back then get the vehicle back again to fit the plate. 

For some reason people are happy to bring a car for inspection but get a lot of people complaining about having to come back for the plate to be fitted, it always seems to be a hassle to organize a time, tell people I'm at the shop from 8 till 5pm and 3 of them will turn up at 4.57PM , etc   

• Like 7

1 hour ago, kyteler said:

Quick Cert query. 

I saw something pop up recently that they're changing to RFID discs?

@cletus  @KKtrips

Yep, should make it easier for certifiers because they won't need to get the vehicle back to fit the plate. The tag will be fitted at the time of inspection and livened up once the cert has been processed as OK.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, KKtrips said:

Yep, should make it easier for certifiers because they won't need to get the vehicle back to fit the plate. The tag will be fitted at the time of inspection and livened up once the cert has been processed as OK.

Does it also mean that you can put the tag in more places or will there be a set collection of places where the tag can go.  It would be nice to be able to to put it up underneath the parcel tray, for instance.  Out of sight but still easily accessible for an RFID reader