For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Bling said:

Yeah would be pretty easily doable with a QR code. They just direct you to a website link, so that link can be the cars detail page on the LVVTA site or something I imagine.

Makes you wonder why the system can't just be a simple case of "just scan/type in the vin number". Even just using number plates would probably work fine, surely it wouldn't take too much to keep the records up to date if someone puts a new plate on the car.

/Surely it wouldn't be too much oppression to just bring in a rule saying all old cars need a vin tag installed on them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cletus said:

Yeah that would be ok, probably a good idea to reduce the number of plug welds in the plate on the chassis 

I'll do 2 or 3 either side. I'll have a better idea once engines out and I get the area cleaned up. Is there any "rule of thumb" methodology that I should be including? 

6 hours ago, cletus said:

Last training session we had, there was a plan to get rid of plates and replace them with a small plastic disc with a chip in it, that you could scan and it would take you to a website or app or something with photos of the vehicle as certified, and much greater detail on vehicle mods than can be fitted on the plate 

If only there was a plate of some sort on the front and rear of the vehicle with letters and numbers of some sort that could be put Into a website to bring up details about the vehicle ?

• Like 2

Quicker to scan a QR code than read and enter a VIN (accurately) into anything. 

Can understand why they are considering it. Must be a decent number of certs voided the next day / that afternoon due to modifications after the fact.

• Like 4

I would be so keen for this to be implemented, had a continual pain with VTNZ failing the Niva for the rim/tyre combo not being "OE" as stated on the plate even though they haven't changed, quick picture of the car from cert day would tidy over, no fuss.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Transom said:

I see there being a great market in bootleg lvv discs that QR code  link to a hacked page showing sick modified car as all legal occifer...

No different to people faking plates/declarations as they do now. Expect a trip to court wnen you get caught. 

This has been thought of and there is a mitigation in place. Not sure if it is my place to say though.

Also people will be able to access the info without an RFID scanner. You will require 2 codes to be entered manually in place of an RFID scan. It won't be a number plate as one because they change.

8 hours ago, Bling said:

You may have already tried this, but you might be able to sweet talk the LVVTA to provide you the photos / some documentation to keep in the glovebox. Worth asking anyway. KKtrips would know.

Cannot do. Photos and paperwork is the property of NZTA. Can provide a copy of the cover page only. Which you should have anyway. Though the information on the cover page will only explain the abbreviations on the cert plate. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Bling said:

You may have already tried this, but you might be able to sweet talk the LVVTA to provide you the photos / some documentation to keep in the glovebox. Worth asking anyway. KKtrips would know.

Valid point, instead I managed to find a wof guy who is legit to deal with, I dread having to take the car anywhere else for that reason though.

VTNZ would always be a crap shoot, even with a stock car. :P

I didn't realise NZTA would block access to the photos. So any progress towards allowing inspectors / new purchasers from actually checking vehicle setup vs what it was certed as would be a plus IMO.

3 hours ago, KKtrips said:

No different to people faking plates/declarations as they do now. Expect a trip to court wnen you get caught. 

This has been thought of and there is a mitigation in place. Not sure if it is my place to say though.

Also people will be able to access the info without an RFID scanner. You will require 2 codes to be entered manually in place of an RFID scan. It won't be a number plate as one because they change.

Yeah won’t worry me as I like to roll legal 

can see Johnny rfb hacker trying it on just like they do now - good there is a plan in place 

• Like 1

Not sure this is the right place to post but we will see.

It's nearly time to ship my truck to welly for the cert and I think I should probably get some insurance for the trip and for once it is (hopefully) on the road.

Has anyone got any recommendations for companies that understand the needs?

I have the bus insured with Star Insurance, they have been really good to deal with so I might give them a go first but I would appreciate any advice.