For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Benno said:

My Zephyr brake rotors have some fairly deep rust pitting. I have tried to find new rotors, without any luck.

I have spoken to someone who could machine some for me from billet steel. Would these be legal, for re-vin and WOFs?

Apart from accelerating wear to the discs, would there be any issues from remaining pitting if I got my existing rotors machined to at or near the minimum manufacturers tolerance?

I'd be asking these guys, they are set up to do custom work as well.

http://www.znoelli.co.nz/

• Like 1

What are the legalities with Air Assist suspension for leaf springs (replaces the bump stop with the airbag) on a WOF vehicle? is cert required?
Ford Transit Mk7 Campervan 2008 FWD 2.2L
And on the other end of the spectrum, any crowds is Auckland do replacement and uprated leaf springs?

Think they have relaxed after being constantly loaded

On 29/05/2020 at 13:18, discostevew said:

What are the legalities with Air Assist suspension for leaf springs (replaces the bump stop with the airbag) on a WOF vehicle? is cert required?
Ford Transit Mk7 Campervan 2008 FWD 2.2L
And on the other end of the spectrum, any crowds is Auckland do replacement and uprated leaf springs?

Think they have relaxed after being constantly loaded

Archers springs in takanini for leaf spring upgrades

• Like 1

Just now, Esky_addict said:

Cert required for changing from auto to manual box, currently certed for auto? Not according to the the thresholds if using all OE 

Yes will need cert for 2 potential reasons, 

1. Car needs to match what the cert plate says 

If it didn't have a cert already, 

2. Threshold says it's ok to swap auto to manwell, if you use optional oe parts....the kicker is if you change to a manual brake pedal or modify the oe pedal, that needs cert 

33 minutes ago, cletus said:

2. Threshold says it's ok to swap auto to manwell, if you use optional oe parts....the kicker is if you change to a manual brake pedal or modify the oe pedal, that needs cert 

There was a thing earlier in the year that they were going to modify the brake rules. Have you got any info on this? 

So to the letter of the law it would require recert solely because the pedal box has been swapped. Even though the brake system hasn't been modified as the brake side of things is like for like, only difference is that one pedal box has a clutch pedal attached to oneside and one doesnt?

Seems abit odd, what's the difference in replacing a master cylinder?

• Like 1

Do you mean changing the master cylinder size? Or just replacing a worn one for a new one? 

I think the intention is to prevent people swapping parts that there may be differences between manual and auto spec which might be a safety issue that doesnt get picked up by a wof inspection 

Just can't see how one clutch pedal being installed automatically results in requiring a cert.

If you swap pedal boxes and the brake side of things are identical then you aren't really modifying the brake system.

Thus shouldn't require a cert for a gearbox swap.

I mean I think you should need a cert for gbox swap but according to the threshold the only issue is that the braking system IS modified by fitting a pedal box with a clutch.

Not having a go but its the whole interpretation thing

IMG_20200602_220940.jpg

That is correct. If however your clutch pedal resides on it's own independent pedal box and you don't touch the brake pedal box, you are fine. So long as the clutch pedal doesn't hit the wider auto brake pedal.

The issue is, people in the past have modified their factory brake pedals to fit around their newly installed clutch pedal, they did a shit job, their brake pedal broke and they no longer got stoppers. Hence blanket rule to make sure muppets haven't stuffed anything up. All it takes is one mounting point to be in a different location and someone going "meh, doesn't need it" and then eventually the frame fatigues and things go wrong.

• Like 1

Let's say I have a vehicle which was originally manual but has been engine swapped and auto is stated on cert plate, then it gets changed back to manual. 

I go for a WOF and the man says no deal as its not certed for the manual, however if the braking system is not modified it doesn't need a cert. Then i would have to get a cert for something that doesn't need certified lol

6 hours ago, Esky_addict said:

Let's say I have a vehicle which was originally manual but has been engine swapped and auto is stated on cert plate, then it gets changed back to manual. 

I go for a WOF and the man says no deal as its not certed for the manual, however if the braking system is not modified it doesn't need a cert. Then i would have to get a cert for something that doesn't need certified lol

Yes you would, because you are changing your car from its certified state. The same applies to anything else on the car. Once certified, you can't change back to factory wheels either.

If you don't like the rules, don't modify your car.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There's really no point in debating the rules as LVVTA can say "nah bowl" on whatever, regardless of your interpretation. It's not like they're gonna be like "oh gee you're right, if you read it that way then yes you can slide through, we'll allow it", they'll just amend the rules.

Also think about it,

ol mate with diddles for fingers only puts half the amount of bolts in when putting a Gearbox in, -not ideal but probably not a big issue

yet half the bolts on a brake pedal or being a potato and forgetting to install the Clevis pin correctly / heating / cutting brake pedal may result in brakes failing in an emergency stop and that’s sort of important.

• Like 1