For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

But my lifted springs and longer shocks bolt straight in without modification, but I can't get a wof because the tester deemed them to not be direct replacement because they are lifted. 

• Sad 1

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Mof said:

@KKtrips do you have a copy of the previous sheet?

No I don't sorry.

FYI - in this instance, direct replacement means an unmodified catalogued part for the vehicle.
eg: if you fit R32 Skyline springs in an R31 Skyline they may fit but they are not a direct replacement.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mof said:

I feel that you can clarify all you like, but this is the threshold sheet, it's not up to you. It's up to the wof testers, and they interpret these things in an incredibly broad spectrum. 

I get calls about this kind of thing several times a week, a vehicle owner will ring up complaining that a WoF inspector has incorrectly interpreted a requirement telling them they need a cert. 

From the information provided by the vehicle owner

• we can determine the WoF inspector has correctly interpreted the requirement and I can explain this to the vehicle owner.
  • we can determine the WoF inspector has incorrectly interpreted the requirement and I encourage the vehicle owner to get the inspector to call me and I can explain it to them

When the WoF inspector calls I can explain the requirements to them, sometimes it turns out the information provided by the caller was incorrect or an important detail was missed out of the conversation meaning the WoF inspector was actually correct and I encourage the WoF inspector to then get the vehicle owner to call me back so I can explain it to them if needed.

We have pretty good bullshit detectors here and can get most of the necessary information out of the vehicle owner pretty quickly unless they are intentionally hiding something knowing it will change the answer, a call from the WoF inspector usually clears that up though.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Just now, KKtrips said:

No I don't sorry.

FYI - in this instance, direct replacement means an unmodified catalogued part for the vehicle.
eg: if you fit R32 Skyline springs in an R31 Skyline they may fit but they are not a direct replacement.

So, if they are catalogued as lift springs for a 1998 Impreza, and are fitted to a 1998 Impreza, and all other thresholds are OK, then they should pass WOF?

• Like 2

Just now, Nominal said:

So, if they are catalogued as lift springs for a 1998 Impreza, and are fitted to a 1998 Impreza, and all other thresholds are OK, then they should pass WOF?

Yes

edit: for clarity, must be catalogued by a reputable suspension manufacturer, not a list of part numbers on some random spreadsheet on an obscure website.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm surprised the threshold didn't include some sort of limit on lifts in the last update, or specify that replacement shocks should be the same length as oem

this wouldn't need a cert according to the threshold if it just had the springs and shocks fitted, and it had a page of stuff wrong with it 

20200525_135925.jpg

20200525_140013.jpg

20200525_135950.jpg

• Like 5

^yeah that there I understand. If it had OEM arms still in it then they would bind and stop the suspension from operating. And that guy has made his own arms which would then have to be certified (obviously that example ^ is way beyond comprehension).

But if none of the other components of the suspension has been modified or changed... .

47 minutes ago, KKtrips said:

Yes

edit: for clarity, must be catalogued by a reputable suspension manufacturer, not a list of part numbers on some random spreadsheet on an obscure website.

I'm trying very hard to not come across as an argument, but a conversation if you will. 

So in order to have lift springs in my vehicle I have to produce a catalogue of the springs every time I go for a wof?

How, now or after say 3 years do I prove that the springs fitted are the ones in the catalogue? 

What do I do if the springs were fitted before I bought the vehicle? 

You might at this point say that I should just get it certified, which is a valid point. But, do I need to produce a catalogue for the certifier to check them against? 

Normally a WoF inspector would not need to ask the question provided the vehicle was not extreme in height and the vehicle handled and performed as expected.

If their alarm bells were going off then it would be up to the owner to prove their vehicle complied, it is not up to the WoF inspector to prove it doesn't.

A WoF inspector has a certain amount of descretion, that's why they have to had been in the trade for 4 years prior to getting their authority. 

• Like 3

Also, don't worry, I "argue" with people all day long. It's normally only the ones who take a highly unlikely modification and apply a requirement in a hypothetical situation that doesn't even apply to their own vehicle just to win an "argument". It's those people who wig me out.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Just now, JustHarry said:

So does the over 50mm lift still require cert? Using recognized parts ie. From autolign / ironman sorta thing

It's not a 50mm lift that requires cert. It's how it is lifted that makes that determination.

Just now, KKtrips said:

It's not the 50mm lift that requires cert. It's how it is lifted that is how it is determined.

Want to lift my 78 series landcruiser. 

So coils and shocks. Bolt in spec. Will likely need loger soft brake hoses 

Since I thought it was over 50mm was cert i was only going to do a 50mm. Lift.

But would go 3 inch otherwise

Just now, KKtrips said:

How do you decide that a vehicle you are inspecting for a WoF requires cert.

WOF inspectors generally don’t have access to the hobby car manual. The VIRM (WOF rules) has tables of what does not need cert, so anything else does. For suspension see here and go to tables and images 

https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/general/steering-and-suspension/steering-and-suspension-systems

60E15D58-D5E3-4DAE-8335-A41DD9618CC6.png.2e61b37b9941f4b62945b40161d4b333.png

So long as you clear these hurdles, there is no mention of a lift limit. But as per the prior discussion, make sure the coils/shocks are a direct replacement.

https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/general/steering-and-suspension/steering-and-suspension-systems

Are they live front axles?