For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

2 hours ago, rusty360 said:

Sweet as I thought that might be the case. At the moment the rear outside belts just have big washers I'm picking this is how it was done back in the day, not sure if im gunna change these too doubler plates. If ya dont mind me asking how much is a seat belt cert? PM me if that's easier. Cheers rusty

Best to re do the outside ones with doubler plates and get it all certed at once

If belts fitted pre 92 the belt anchorages dont have to comply but I've had customers spend more time trying to prove the mod was done prior to 92 than it would take to fit the plates. At least you know you wont have any trouble later and it's done safely

Cert cost usually starts at $580 but if it's only belts and everything else is stock might be able to do it a little bit cheaper  

• Thanks 1

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, rusty360 said:

Awesome that makes sense. a picture says 1000 words! Would you mind showing me what you have done with the other two mounting points? Wheel tub and wheel arch I'm guessing.

There are 2 more mounts on the other side of the trans tunnel, basically mirror image of these 2. Due to the shape of the floor the centre one went on to the tunnel. I hope that is going to be OK for cert. 

image.png.8578ceffdf02031f7cfee8b41ebac541.png

The outboard ones are on the wheel tub.Sorry about the photo. This is looking at the seat base/seat back. You have to have the back of the seat out of the car, the base folds out of the way OK. The belt come round the seat and sits nicely. 

image.png.bbb621ca779fd57e05751c515943e84f.pngimage.png.b55f2f0b9e2e8445a80b9f7d92bce6f6.png

Here are the 3 belts

image.png.9c7f40d120c40525d0b68f5005874235.png

I hope this all makes sense.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Exhaust cutouts..

okay, I’ve read that they can be legal as long as they’re not electronically controlled in the car and have a blanking plate over them which you have to physically get under the car to remove (for the likes of going to the drags).

Has anybody installed (and done this to) an electronically controlled exhaust cutout? I’d be keen to get some feedback on it and pics if possible.. I’ll only do it if it’s possible and certifiable when I get my suspension done.

@cletuswhats your line on this?

(sorry if it’s been asked before, search turned up nothing)

Gearbox mounting. With my new engine swap, it uses the same factory engine mounts but it brings the gearbox 11mm closer to the front of the car. The gearbox has a plate that bolts to it (with 2 bolts) and then mounts to the x-member with a single centre bolt. It's the primer part in the following image:

10466992_736751173055365_4855181594044675464_o.thumb.jpg.a6007421d99a65ffc5ec9f89235a17e8.jpg

To keep from modding the x-member, most people just shift the mounting holes on this plate 11mm forward and weld up the old ones. An example shown in the next pic:

10484483_736750573055425_1452052557508079861_o.thumb.jpg.436523a46a7017559a55c625197147eb.jpg

Is this an okay approach for this, or should an entirely new plate be made?

@cletus  would appreciate your input.

Also, concerning old certs. My car is currently certed for a number of things, including a half-cage (with front side intrusion bars) based on the old main hoop diameter. Some things need updating - i.e. new engine, different rear brakes, but some are the same. Do the old certed things that stay the same need to be recertified?

On 11/05/2020 at 18:56, j.e.d. said:

Exhaust cutouts..

okay, I’ve read that they can be legal as long as they’re not electronically controlled in the car and have a blanking plate over them which you have to physically get under the car to remove (for the likes of going to the drags).

Has anybody installed (and done this to) an electronically controlled exhaust cutout? I’d be keen to get some feedback on it and pics if possible.. I’ll only do it if it’s possible and certifiable when I get my suspension done.

@cletuswhats your line on this?

(sorry if it’s been asked before, search turned up nothing)

Do you mean having an electric cut out to dump the exhaust before the mufflers, but then having it capped so the electric cut out cant be used? 

That would be one of those situations where it doesnt say you cant do it in the rules, but I wouldn't cert it because it is obvious the cap would be left off so the electric cut out could be used

A bit like people who have externally venting wastegates who put a cap over the outlet so it's not venting at all any more  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, zep said:

Gearbox mounting. With my new engine swap, it uses the same factory engine mounts but it brings the gearbox 11mm closer to the front of the car. The gearbox has a plate that bolts to it (with 2 bolts) and then mounts to the x-member with a single centre bolt. It's the primer part in the following image:

10466992_736751173055365_4855181594044675464_o.thumb.jpg.a6007421d99a65ffc5ec9f89235a17e8.jpg

To keep from modding the x-member, most people just shift the mounting holes on this plate 11mm forward and weld up the old ones. An example shown in the next pic:

10484483_736750573055425_1452052557508079861_o.thumb.jpg.436523a46a7017559a55c625197147eb.jpg

Is this an okay approach for this, or should an entirely new plate be made?

@cletus  would appreciate your input.

Also, concerning old certs. My car is currently certed for a number of things, including a half-cage (with front side intrusion bars) based on the old main hoop diameter. Some things need updating - i.e. new engine, different rear brakes, but some are the same. Do the old certed things that stay the same need to be recertified?

I dont see a problem with doing that if it's only offset by 11mm, just make it neat and tidy

Just now, cletus said:

Do you mean having an electric cut out to dump the exhaust before the mufflers, but then having it capped so the electric cut out cant be used? 

That would be one of those situations where it doesnt say you cant do it in the rules, but I wouldn't cert it because it is obvious the cap would be left off so the electric cut out could be used

A bit like people who have externally venting wastegates who put a cap over the outlet so it's not venting at all any more  

Spoil-sport! :wink:

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, cletus said:

Thanks man, I get that.. maybe I'll just chuck a cutout in with a bolted blanking plate instead..

Only wanna put one in to be loud at old school drag day.. won't be fast, so need to be loud to make up for it :-)

image.png.a8a4624b9ee5ade763ad80eb90797819.png

• Like 3

Correct. If it's on the plate then it's already covered and doesn't need to be certed again. As long as it's safe, ie it doesnt have nails welded to it facing the drivers face

19 hours ago, KKtrips said:

Hey Leon. Anything that has been previously certified is accepted at face value unless there is something that could be considered not fit for purpose or if it was unsafe.

I have a compliance check ( re register) question.

I have 2wd Hilux side project that's nearing completion. Factory unmodified, currently de-registered and in the panel shop for repairs, its a had a minor knock the cross member below the radiator which I'm lead to believe it will need a repair cert. I'm happy for this to be carried out, but my panel man thinks it may not be necessary.

Would it be liable for the said panel shop to have an approval letter stating a repair cert is not required to keep the compliance inspector happy? Or is there such a thing? 

Thanks

Just now, cletus said:

Is it having rust repairs done at the panel shop? 

No rust repairs there Clint, its clean on that side of things

Just now, kyteler said:

Why not just get them to tidy it up whilst it's in the shop? 

How damaged is it that you think it's repair cert worthy? 

Yes, its getting all sorted at the shop.

Well basically it has a minor dent in the cross member from coming into contact with a tow ball.

Prior to the damage taking place the whole chassis had been cleaned up and painted.