For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

@cletus

Probably worth asking the question whilst I'm thinking about my plans. 

Dedicated Motorsport Vehicle with Authority Card.

Looking at modifying the original Engine Mounts to effectively make them solid. Using a steel plate welded in to join the outer and inner sections. 

Is there any reason this won't be acceptable when I get the LVV Cert updated?

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 06/04/2020 at 07:18, dspec_tt131 said:

What are the legalities behind changing my headlights, grille and corner lights from facelift:

IMG-20200330-WA0009.thumb.jpg.5cf05fbe758be09562b5f9178eae15d8.jpg

to pre facelift:

Screenshot_20200330-103719_Instagram.jpg.327f554347a646e417ff46aed6759763.jpg

They don't bolt up to factory holes so had made some brackets out of 3mm aluminum flat bar 

No problem as long as your headlights can be adjusted correctly and they are mounted securely 

• Like 2

Just now, japawagons said:

@cletus

Probably worth asking the question whilst I'm thinking about my plans. 

Dedicated Motorsport Vehicle with Authority Card.

Looking at modifying the original Engine Mounts to effectively make them solid. Using a steel plate welded in to join the outer and inner sections. 

Is there any reason this won't be acceptable when I get the LVV Cert updated?

Yep no problem for cert as long as all the mounts are solid 

• Like 1

Dunno if this is the right place to ask but here we go

Got this old crown almost finished

Jap import well need complying shortly

100% stock, Whats the legalities/requirements for the seatbelts?

Planning on fitting the originals, have  multiple sets and in decent condition for front and rear. Similar to falcon or holden design lap belts of the same era.

Has suspect looking design where you can unclip the front belts and tuck the shoulder part of the strap up onto the hoodlining and it becomes a lap  belt only. I guess for aesthics being a coupe. All belts have toyota markings, date of manufacture and what ever standards they meet on there little tags sewn too them.

Are these acceptable or well they need updating/oviously some sort of modern inertia belts going to be safer but meh

20200301_202109.jpg

• Like 4

Just now, Ja1lb8 said:

Dunno if this is the right place to ask but here we go

Got this old crown almost finished

Jap import well need complying shortly

100% stock, Whats the legalities/requirements for the seatbelts?

Planning on fitting the originals, have  multiple sets and in decent condition for front and rear. Similar to falcon or holden design lap belts of the same era.

Has suspect looking design where you can unclip the front belts and tuck the shoulder part of the strap up onto the hoodlining and it becomes a lap  belt only. I guess for aesthics being a coupe. All belts have toyota markings, date of manufacture and what ever standards they meet on there little tags sewn too them.

Are these acceptable or well they need updating/oviously some sort of modern inertia belts going to be safer but meh

Seatbelt rules depend on year manufacture and date of first rego in NZ.

See here, table 7-5-3

https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/general/vehicle-interior/seatbelts-and-seatbelt-anchorages

Assuming this is pre-79 then you only need static lap/diagonal in front, nothing in the back. If you keep the OE belts and they are good condition you should be fine.

• Like 1

Just now, Ja1lb8 said:

Thanks for that.  Still unsure  as to requirements because car has never been on the road in nz.   Might just put them all in and see what comes of it. An easy fix if there no good

Date of first reg in New Zealand will be when you do, i.e. after 1 April 2002 so this is the relevant table.

If it was manufactured pre- 31 October 1979 it is only required to have static lap/diagonal in the front outer positions.

Capture.JPG

• Like 3

Just now, Bling said:

Someone was asking about bumpers too too far back, could have same answer. I'd go look, but I just got assigned trench digging duty.

Was probably me cos memory is shit, but I was too lazy to go back for a look....

Is there any way to access previous WOF check results for a car? If significant faults are logged against the plate to prevent you from bodgying the car up then going around the corner to the next mechanic, is there any way to access that info, as a new owner of the car?

On a completely separate note, some wonderful previous owner appears to have jacked a vehicle of mine by the frame rails (unibody car). How much rail damage might I reasonably get away with?

Just now, gibbon said:

Is there any way to access previous WOF check results for a car? If significant faults are logged against the plate to prevent you from bodgying the car up then going around the corner to the next mechanic, is there any way to access that info, as a new owner of the car?

On a completely separate note, some wonderful previous owner appears to have jacked a vehicle of mine by the frame rails (unibody car). How much rail damage might I reasonably get away with?

Quite a bit...

https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/entry-certification/reference-materials/eg-structural-damage-corrosion/under-body-damage-crushing-of-floor-pan-stiffening-members

Just now, Nominal said:

That one comes up quite a bit from nob garages failing Mx5s on crushed floor stiffeners - if it’s not a chassis rail it’s a floor stiffener and those photos show way worse damage than what is getting failed 

Just now, Nominal said:

Ah sweet mine is nowhere near that bad... thought about getting it repaired but didn't want to draw any more attention to it. And yeah in retrospect it's a floor stiffener not a chassis rail... be a bit of a shit chassis rail if it folded up like that... even the sills are thicker 

5 hours ago, EpochNZ said:

Another question for the gestalt (If I can be so bold):

So if I read this correctly, I can run my 1973 Saab without bumpers?

image.png.913c76748c2175283c34e74e106f8c05.png

Yes as long as there is no sharp edges that could damage a pedestrian 

• Like 2

Just now, Transom said:

That one comes up quite a bit from nob garages failing Mx5s on crushed floor stiffeners - if it’s not a chassis rail it’s a floor stiffener and those photos show way worse damage than what is getting failed 

To be fair, the wof manual does not have ^ those pics in it, they are in the entry certifier section. When you read the wording in the wof virm and went by that, all those examples would fail I would think 

https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/general/vehicle-structure/structure-incl2.-frontal-impact