For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

VTNZ, VINZ, and AA will be open for essential services vehicles only. No private vehicles. If your vehicle is used in the support of life, then join the queue at their lane, don't get out. They will come to you, they will judge your need, if they deem you are not essential service they will turn you away. Don't try to take the piss. If in doubt you're probably not essential

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Snorkpipe said:

VTNZ, VINZ, and AA will be open for essential services vehicles only. No private vehicles. If your vehicle is used in the support of life, then join the queue at their lane, don't get out. They will come to you, they will judge your need, if they deem you are not essential service they will turn you away. Don't try to take the piss. If in doubt you're probably not essential

would this for example apply to a nurse's private car needed to get to work?

My understanding is that if you are a worker in an essential business, you have access to what you need to get to and from work. If that means a mechanic to fix your car, or vtnz to keep it legal, prove you work at an essential business and go hard.

Ie, if a nurses car needs a Wof to get to work, head into vtnz. I don't know how you would prove it if you took it in on behalf of the nurse though. 

9 hours ago, tortron said:

would this for example apply to a nurse's private car needed to get to work?

My guess would be yes. I do believe that local garages are allowed to operate for similar reasons if needed. Most are using a telephone call out type service

• Like 1

Had a customer ring me this morning,  I had already told him yesterday we can do a cert on essential service vehicles but we have to be able to prove it

They cant prove it is so he said 'cant you just say you checked it yesterday?'

No. 

Boss also had some dude ring him on Wednesday assuming he could drop his car off at bosses house for a cert while the lockdown was in effect 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 4

Is it possible to fit a wheel spacer, say 5mm, to a car that doesn't have a locating ring on the hub? Can the spacer just be fixed to the wheel, with a flange that matches that of the wheel center hole, for centering purposes? Or can a spacer just not be used in this application. Talking about front axle, where tyre to strut clearance is tight, but not contacting. Just not sure how much clearance is acceptable. 1,2,5mm?

TIA

Is the removal of rear bumper plastic and/or bumper steel legal? I'm currently driving around with neither on a temporary basis while getting the towbar sorted (which will be after the lockdown - I can always put the bumper back on, yes).

I have looked at virm, it doesn't specifically mention rear bumper but does mention hooking vehicle/person & injury to person and frontal impact.

LVVTA doc states it's fine if frontal impact is not affected (not specific to rear bumper).

Normally you don't get up to high enough speed to cause damage to vehicle/person while driving backwards (but can happen I suppose).

Opinions?

Cheers

On 28/03/2020 at 23:37, Bling said:

Is it possible to fit a wheel spacer, say 5mm, to a car that doesn't have a locating ring on the hub? Can the spacer just be fixed to the wheel, with a flange that matches that of the wheel center hole, for centering purposes? Or can a spacer just not be used in this application. Talking about front axle, where tyre to strut clearance is tight, but not contacting. Just not sure how much clearance is acceptable. 1,2,5mm?

TIA

What centres the wheel to the hub? It usually needs a hubcentric ring but if the centre of the hub is a snug fit to the wheel centre then that typically would suffice - but check if your certifier would be happy with that.

Also yes it can be attached to the wheel, but that is not the desired method so might be looked at sideways by the certifier.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Center of wheel clears the factory hub, so it's located with the tapered wheel nuts. Spacer is absolute last resort, would sooner buy different offset wheels to be honest. Will likely just need to buy tyres and see how clearance goes. My memory sucks, it does have a ring, but it doesn't contact the mag wheel, so in my head I worked on the theory of it not having one.

Pic of hub

hub.thumb.jpg.029f7eb4eb28e2c7d84a7e63580a9fda.jpg

Yeah I was reading up about the spacers, the hubcentric bit etc on the document. I need to go through every possible solution to every problem I come across. To at least try and come up with the best solution. Currently that is just buying tyres and hoping they fit. After that it's trying to locate another pair of wheels with the same offset as rear, etc etc. It's a mind fuck really. Trying to balance the wheel offset for max low, with very limited offset options. Which may be pulled up on excessive bumpsteer in the end anyway lol. Thanks for the help.

11 hours ago, ul9601 said:

I have looked at virm, it doesn't specifically mention rear bumper but does mention hooking vehicle/person & injury to person and frontal impact.

You have answered your own question there. As long as it can’t hook anything or hurt someone you are fine.

• Like 2