For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

53 minutes ago, Yowzer said:

I have seen different brand tyres (cannot recall the brands sorry) that despite being the same printed size, one had flat sidewalls, one looked like it was running mega stretch, when mounted to the same rim. These were some low pro 19"s though, probably don't have that particular faux stretch style available in a size as small as you want.

This would be a similar case in this size also.  I did some research through our suppliers and found about 10 different brands that do the size.  I can possibly look through the technical data of some of them to see which of them is the skinniest.  @dspec_tt131 let me know what brand and pattern you've currently got and I can do some comparisons.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the tyre size is outside the rim size listed in the ETRTO (tyre standard) and the LVVTA tyre size document then you can fit narrower tyres only if the manufacturer (not the wholesaler or retailer) supplies a letter saying so.

Also - you MUST use the tyre brand and model listed on the letter. ie: you can't get a letter from Falken saying 205-60-14's can fit on 8" rims and then fit Supercats in that size.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, KKtrips said:

LVVTA tyre size document

reply not aimed at anyone n particular, just slightly relevant

here's the OS thread for the fitment chart (yeah it was started around 9 years ago & could probably use an update or fresh links)

edit : I've found the current chart & updated that thread

and to save a couple of clicks here's the info

here's current file on the LVVTA site

https://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents.html#thresholds

Info 01-2009 - Tyre Size to Rim Size Compatibility Guide (V3, released December 2016) download

https://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/infosheets/LVVTA_Info_01-2009_V3_Tyre_Size_to_Wheel_Size_Compatibility_Guide.pdf

• Like 1

If anyone wants me to check our copy of the ETRTO (I think we have the 2015 edition) then send an email to me at work and I can check for you.    (PM me for my work email address)

I plan to update the Tyre-Rim infosheet, with all the info from the ETRTO, but its a time/priority thing.

image.png.8dbea4f469054b9ead64f87a72ec76f5.png

• Like 3

I pulled the roof off the BJ tonight - it's farken hot and have no AC obviously.

Any reason this isn't legal? It's a factory setup but obviously reduces the integrity of the cabin...

Am also wondering about going further, the windscreen folds down and whole midsection of the tub comes off on these trucks, but would then lose the shoulder height seatbelt mounts. Would quite like to build a rollbar outside the cab but closer to the body than the existing one so could pick up some new mounts off that, I assume there are rules about where those would have to be relative to where they are currently? The mounts might work off the position of the current rollbar but would be 20-30cm further back...

Cabriolet lyfe

IMG_20200128_205457.jpg.7ab6692859ed0cd4347fe8059cea818c.jpg

• Like 6

Is there a standard to where a VIN plate is placed when its fitted to a car? The owner of the classic Mini i sold a while back has contacted me asking if I know where the VIN plate is, but i dont have any photos of it after I re-registered the car. The VIN was issued when i re-registered it, so i presume a new plate was affixed somewhere but i don't know where. It'd help if i knew where the plate could be fitted.

E: Found it. https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/entry-certification/pre-reg-and-vin/vin-affixing/methods-for-affixing-a-vin 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, kws said:

Is there a standard to where a VIN plate is placed when its fitted to a car? The owner of the classic Mini i sold a while back has contacted me asking if I know where the VIN plate is, but i dont have any photos of it after I re-registered the car. The VIN was issued when i re-registered it, so i presume a new plate was affixed somewhere but i don't know where. It'd help if i knew where the plate could be fitted.

Are you sure one was attached, it seems that a VIN is not necessary if previous registered in NZ?

https://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicles/vehicle-registration/vin/

The one I've had attached to an import by VTNZ is on the inner guard.

Interesting. Being 1980 and nz new It didn't have a VIN originally as it used the chassis number but I note it had a new VIN number (different to the chassis number) allocated to it when reregistered, so I presume it should have a new plate somewhere too. 

Apparently it's not in the engine bay, boot, or on the B pillar like it should be.

Have contacted nzta to see if they, or the agent (vtnz) might hold a record of where it was affixed when it was reregistered. 

It didn't occur to me at the time to check for the new plate when I did it.