For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Where is the testing to show that under the noise test, all of those cars exceed 90dB?

Has someone tested them to show that as you imply, they are all louder than 90dB under test conditions?

If they all exceed, then sweet loop hole, if they don't, then it's irrelephant really.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KKtrips said:

Where is the rack/box? In front of or behind the front crossmember?

Image result for patrol steering box

Pic off internet showing the position of the box. No crossmember in the traditional sense as such, as it is a ladder frame chassis. But that round pipe on the far right of the pic is a crossmember in the sense it is a transverse member. 
Shane Speight has said it will need some form of collapsibility as he saw it with the body off but steering box still attached. I would be happy to hear he was wrong as it is less work for me, but I tend to think he might be right?

14 hours ago, kws said:

Merc
Porker
Jaaaag
Audi

Do they actually make the car louder immediately on pressing the button, or does the button only permit the computer to divert exhaust through the louder path when parameters are met/as required? Also it is typical that with OE systems of this type, the loudest setting is still not greater than the law allows and the default setting is quiet. I think it is highly unlikely that the factory has a button that diverts the exhaust to open headers at the touch of a button. However I could be wrong as I don't know every vehicle.

An OE fitment will have had to meet a vehicle standard like FMVSS or an alternative Jap or Euro standard before it could be entered into the vehicle fleet and some FMVSS and Jap and Euro standards are less restrictive than LVVTA standards. But they can be less restrictive because they have much more expensive testing regimes like sound testing booth or drive-by sound testing laboratories etc.

So, if you want to comply to a less restrictive FMVSS standard then submit your vehicle for an FMVSS assessment and pay the $100's of thousands of dollars too.    LoL

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, WhangareiKE70 said:

Pic off internet showing the position of the box. No crossmember in the traditional sense as such, as it is a ladder frame chassis. But that round pipe on the far right of the pic is a crossmember in the sense it is a transverse member. 
Shane Speight has said it will need some form of collapsibility as he saw it with the body off but steering box still attached. I would be happy to hear he was wrong as it is less work for me, but I tend to think he might be right?

The box looks to be in front of the front suspension beam which rules out 7.13.1 (a) 
I am surprised that a Safari doesn't have a collapsible column which would allow option (b)
So from the info you have given, then option (c) and (e) are your best options

1 hour ago, KKtrips said:

car louder immediately

seems to on the neighbours Maserati, altho i recall maybe petev8 saying you can pull a fuse (on his aston) and its always loud mode

also hes a street over and i cant hear it from my house so not thaat loud

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Bling said:

Where is the testing to show that under the noise test, all of those cars exceed 90dB?

Has someone tested them to show that as you imply, they are all louder than 90dB under test conditions?

If they all exceed, then sweet loop hole, if they don't, then it's irrelephant really.

The new Mustang is fairly rowdy in race exhaust mode, I'd be surprised if it was 90dB. 

1 hour ago, KKtrips said:

Do they actually make the car louder immediately on pressing the button, or does the button only permit the computer to divert exhaust through the louder path when parameters are met/as required? Also it is typical that with OE systems of this type, the loudest setting is still not greater than the law allows and the default setting is quiet. I think it is highly unlikely that the factory has a button that diverts the exhaust to open headers at the touch of a button. However I could be wrong as I don't know every vehicle.

Again, Mustang definitely goes loud af at the touch of a button. Didn't seem to require any special conditions to get to. 

57 minutes ago, Dell'orto said:

The new Mustang is fairly rowdy in race exhaust mode, I'd be surprised if it was 90dB. 

Again, Mustang definitely goes loud af at the touch of a button. Didn't seem to require any special conditions to get to. 

I don't know the exhaust noise emission standard that the new Mustang meets but it would have had to have met one to acquire the compliance documentation. Manufacturers don't just build a car and say "she'll be right Trev" and then kick it out the door and let the country where it is going to assess the vehicle.

It's safe to assume that some international standards are more relaxed than LVVTA standards, but the same standard in another region might be harsher than LVVTA.

During entry compliance a vehicle must have compliance documentation for a standard that is recognised in NZ. So as long as you are willing to go through the required testing regime and meet a non LVVTA standard then it can be accepted too. But you can't cherry pick a portion of a complex FMVSS standard and say your vehicle meets that standard but test part of it using the testing regime from a less complex but more strict LVVTA standard.

The LVVTA system was created so the average person can afford to build a car without spending 10's of thousands of dollars proving a vehicle meets a standard.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I'd hardly consider a video an accurate way to tell volume though. I'd consider them on par with my RX7, which while not being extraordinarily loud (certifier was happy with it as is) is certainly not 90dB. 

I'm guessing there is some form of allowance in the laws for OE vehicles to have the variable exhaust systems, possibly they're tested in normal mode. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, WhangareiKE70 said:

Image result for patrol steering box

I am pretty sure the saf has a collapsible section, and I am pretty sure I still have it in a box somewhere. I can drag it out for a look/send it to you if you like..

46 minutes ago, Dell'orto said:

I'm guessing there is some form of allowance in the laws for OE vehicles to have the variable exhaust systems, possibly they're tested in normal mode. 

I think I am doing a terrible job of explaining, LoL,

The law allows a vehicle that meets a recognised overseas requirement or standard (even if it is different to NZ requirements or standards) so it does not need to meet the equivalent NZ requirement or standard.

2 hours ago, KKtrips said:

I think I am doing a terrible job of explaining, LoL,

The law allows a vehicle that meets a recognised overseas requirement or standard (even if it is different to NZ requirements or standards) so it does not need to meet the equivalent NZ requirement or standard.

Ahhh right. Yeah nah totally did not get that from your original post, my bad. 

I've just brought a 1978 lancer that requires re-vinning, is it a mish? or is it similar to a green or pink sticker wof? also I wouldn't mind under-sealing the car while I refresh some of the suspension, will that make it harder if I put fresh under-seal on? (not trying to hide anything its mint) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MaxPower said:

I've just brought a 1978 lancer that requires re-vinning, is it a mish? or is it similar to a green or pink sticker wof? also I wouldn't mind under-sealing the car while I refresh some of the suspension, will that make it harder if I put fresh under-seal on? (not trying to hide anything its mint) 

I'd personally leave undersealing until its been inspected, just so you dont have that "are they covering something" niggle from an inspector.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Dell'orto said:

Ahhh right. Yeah nah totally did not get that from your original post, my bad. 

FYI - below is what the LVVTA exhaust noise standard says in regards to the maximum dB limits. I'm guessing your rotary is probably closer to 95dBA.  A 6-10dB increase is what most human ears would detect as doubling loudness.

Decibel level requirements

2.9(1) The maximum permissible decibel level emitted by a low volume vehicle tested in accordance with this standard, must not, except for in the case of where factoring must be applied for one or more of the situations specified in 2.9(2) to 2.9(4), exceed:

(a) in the case of a moped (LA or LB-Class), 91 dBA; or
 (b) in the case of a motorcycle with an engine capacity of 125 cc or less (LC, LD or LE-Class), 96 dBA; or
 (c) in the case of a motorcycle with an engine capacity of more than 125 cc (LC, LD or LE-Class), 100 dBA; or
 (d) in the case of an MA, MB, MC, MD1, MD2, or NA-class vehicle that was manufactured before 1 January 1985, 95 dBA; or
 (e) in the case of an MA, MB, MC, MD1, MD2, or NA-class vehicle that was manufactured on or after 1 January 1985:
         (i) if first registered in New Zealand before 1 June 2008, 95 dBA; or
         (ii) if first registered in New Zealand on or after 1 June 2008, 90 dBA.

NOTE 1: The decibel figures specified in 2.9(1) are the figures set by the Government, as specified in Land Transport Rule: Vehicle Equipment Amendment 2011, and may change from time to time as Government policy dictates.  Such changes will be reflected in an amendment to this low volume vehicle standard.

NOTE 2:  ‘dB’ refers to ‘decibels’, and the ‘A’ denotes ‘A-weighted decibels’, which is an adjustment process that takes into account the varying sensitivity of the human ear, to different decibel levels at different frequencies.  Low frequency sounds are quieter to the human ear.  The ‘A’ weighting curve primarily takes into account the 500-10,000 Hz frequency range.

• Like 4

Possibly talking to two different points here. Well aware of noise requirements, as my FD is a fresh import, and needs to meet 90dB for entry certification. Assuming that new vehicles with factory variable exhausts do not need to comply as in theory they will have some form of compliance as referred to in 2.7(4), like you referred to earlier. 

Tl;dr: Brand new fast cars from overseas can be loud.

• Like 1