For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

Hi, I want to put anti-glare overlay/sticker at the top of the windscreen - I have this thing

vht.jpg.3461e9eb97e6e045ad62fafceceb28a5.jpg

and also a black signwriter sticker.

Just looking at VIRM regarding windscreen anti-glare overlay and this is what it says verbatim.

• the overlay is transparent, and
  • the overlay does not extend below the bottom edge of the vehicle’s OE sun visors when they are folded down as far as possible towards the windscreen, and
  • the overlay does not contain print below a line that is 100 mm below and parallel to the top edge of the windscreen (Note 4).
  • Note 4

Any OE opaque edging (usually black) is not considered part of the windscreen when determining the boundaries of the CVA, or the areas permitted for stickers, print on an anti-glare band, or radio antennae.

Regarding the second bullet point, I take it it's looking at the windscreen from outside, perpendicular to the windscreen, as opposed to looking out, while sitting in the driver's seat? 

I ask this because when the sun visor is fully folded down, there is usually a gap between the windscreen and the visor, giving you more sun blocking than the overlay matched to the sun visor from the outside. I'm guessing the intent of the rule is to ensure the visibility with the overlay is no worse than the OE setup. 

With regards to the bullet point 3, it says overlay print is ok as long as it's within 100mm from the top edge (or from the lower edge of the OE opaque edging, if applicable?) - can it be opaque? If so, what stops one from putting on a full opaque overlay with 100mm width? Seems like The bullet points 1 & 3 are a bit contradictory or am I reading too much into it?

Any clarification on this would be appreciated.

Cheers.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On topic of overlays,

coloured window tints on all windows apart from windscreen,  ‘legal’ or nah?

i understand black tints, and the min 35% vlt / overlays can’t reflect and dazzle other drivers. But let’s say one wants to tint all windows yellow/blue/other colours for no reason other than scene points

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Is there any possible reason other than scene? Have seen blue done on a show car before, which from memory was all road legal.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2617510/1994-toyota-corolla/photo-gallery/

Quick question time. Are there requirements to have locating rings for mags for cert? I may end up with nothing left to fit a locating ring to when fitting mag wheels. Wheels in question have tapered wheel nuts. Have browsed the wheels / tyres PDF, but still not sure. Figured it might be an easy one you'd come across quite often. Aiming to not use any spacers.

26 minutes ago, Bling said:

Quick question time. Are there requirements to have locating rings for mags for cert? I may end up with nothing left to fit a locating ring to when fitting mag wheels. Wheels in question have tapered wheel nuts. Have browsed the wheels / tyres PDF, but still not sure. Figured it might be an easy one you'd come across quite often. Aiming to not use any spacers.

I didn't need them when getting a cert.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bling said:

My certifier said yes; so I had to make some up, as they weren't available in the sizes I needed.

My friend has an HK Monaro and his rear axle has nowhere to put locating rings on the hubs (hilux diff conversion), so his certifier said he didn't need them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 20/10/2019 at 13:55, Shakotom said:

On topic of overlays,

coloured window tints on all windows apart from windscreen,  ‘legal’ or nah?

i understand black tints, and the min 35% vlt / overlays can’t reflect and dazzle other drivers. But let’s say one wants to tint all windows yellow/blue/other colours for no reason other than scene points

Nothing in the Virm about coloured tints. Can not be reflective and must let in 35% of the light. So go hard.

45 minutes ago, AllTorque said:

Nothing in the Virm about coloured tints. Can not be reflective and must let in 35% of the light. So go hard.

Yeah, I’d had a solid hunt through it at work and couldn’t see anything, so just thought I’d ask for others opinions/interpretations

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 00quattro00 said:

When converting a car to auto does it have to be able to go into park? It's shifted electronically and only uses a cable for park

I cant think of any rules that say you have to have a park feature on a transmission  

2 hours ago, cletus said:

The only time you have to have locating rings is if you are fitting wheel spacers

Otherwise as long as something centers the wheel you'll be fine. That includes tapered wheel nuts or shank nuts 

Balls...3hrs of my life I'll never get back.

2009289618_20191018_172144-Copy.thumb.jpg.a68f0280a2d36d01168dd8f6f6fb4cf6.jpg

25 minutes ago, ul9601 said:

come on guys - despite the dopey looks, they are quite handy...

anyway - any opinions on my original questions?

Not sure exactly what your question is. Anything further than 100mm in from the edge of the screen is a fail. You can have whatever you want (opacity wise) so long as its not further than 100mm from edge or lower than the OE visors I guess? People have windscreen banners all the time, both solid and just words. A spray application should be fine too, so long as it meets all the requirements.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bling said:

Not sure exactly what your question is. Anything further than 100mm in from the edge of the screen is a fail. You can have whatever you want (opacity wise) so long as its not further than 100mm from edge or lower than the OE visors I guess? People have windscreen banners all the time, both solid and just words. A spray application should be fine too, so long as it meets all the requirements.

Yeah I've seen plenty of people have fully opaque overlay but VIRM does say it has to be transparent but then later on it says print should be no lower than 100mm from the top edge so they seem kinda contradictory to me. The other one was about where the OE visor line is from outside or inside - that was a bit of a dumb question but I was trying to understand the intent of that particular rule.