For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m not overly concerned about the legalities of it, just wondering if nzta would pick up that it isn’t an original plate. If we were talking about legalities plates that are bent, chopped or angled are not legal either. 

Having a black plate is cool but probably not worth the hassle! 

14 minutes ago, xsinclairx said:

I’m not overly concerned about the legalities of it, just wondering if nzta would pick up that it isn’t an original plate. If we were talking about legalities plates that are bent, chopped or angled are not legal either. 

Having a black plate is cool but probably not worth the hassle! 

I have no doubt that a Doozi plate would pass the required photo of the plate test. 

• Like 3

Front seat belt lower anchor points on or near a B piller. Can someone post a photo of what an acceptable one would look like installed on an old car...bonus points if it's an impala? Or perhaps a link to where I'd find the required standards? 

I need to sort this issue out for a cert, and I still haven't got my head around it yet.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=2346710495

Looking into buying these for my Datsun/Patrol project. Trying to get some more info about the materials used etc, have emailed the company asking for more info. 

Found this:

http://roadsafe.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/RAP365A-RANPB.pdf

@KKtrips @cletus Any ideas off the top of your head, if these are/can be legal, or have you seen these before?

Any help appreciated.  

7 hours ago, Kimjon said:

Front seat belt lower anchor points on or near a B piller. Can someone post a photo of what an acceptable one would look like installed on an old car...bonus points if it's an impala? Or perhaps a link to where I'd find the required standards? 

I need to sort this issue out for a cert, and I still haven't got my head around it yet.

Seatbelt anchorages standard here - https://lvvta.org.nz/documents/standards/LVVTA_STD_Seatbelts_& Seatbelt_Anchorages.pdf

Lower anchorages normally go in the floor, upper anchorages go in the B-pillar.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, WhangareiKE70 said:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=2346710495

Looking into buying these for my Datsun/Patrol project. Trying to get some more info about the materials used etc, have emailed the company asking for more info. 

Found this:

http://roadsafe.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/RAP365A-RANPB.pdf

@KKtrips @cletus Any ideas off the top of your head, if these are/can be legal, or have you seen these before?

Any help appreciated.  

Hard to say, they don't look like any I have seen before when I've looked at drop boxes and my first thought is they look flimsy, but @cletus has probably seen more of them than I have and might say they're fine.

Are you trying to correct caster? If so perhaps some caster correction bushes like these will be cheaper and simpler.
https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/parts-other-makes/suspension/listing-2348608138.htm?rsqid=2646445784534f89861fb5bb04fde7dd-001

14 minutes ago, 00quattro00 said:

Just a note on caster correction bushes, they don't last very long. On my land rover I slotted the bolt holes for the swivel bolts to the axle to give me a couple of degrees caster back

Probably installed badly or misaligned side to side, no reason they should wear any faster that I know of

18 minutes ago, KKtrips said:

Hard to say, they don't look like any I have seen before when I've looked at drop boxes and my first thought is they look flimsy, but @cletus has probably seen more of them than I have and might say they're fine.

Are you trying to correct caster? If so perhaps some caster correction bushes like these will be cheaper and simpler.
https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/parts-other-makes/suspension/listing-2348608138.htm?rsqid=2646445784534f89861fb5bb04fde7dd-001

Cheers for the reply.

Caster correction is part of it, they also change from a pin to a radius bush on the chassis end so they allow more articulation. The bush goes between the 2 plates so could be why they don't look as strong? As they aren't boxed in between the plates. 

Will be keen to hear what Clint has to say.

If you plan to do some decent off roading caster correction bushes will wear out quicker,the hole not center in the bush so less material and flog out

I run superior engineering super flex radius arms(passed cert) which are similar to those and still run genuine bushes and give you caster correction for suspension lift.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jessemk2 said:

If you plan to do some decent off roading caster correction bushes will wear out quicker,the hole not center in the bush so less material and flog out

I run superior engineering super flex radius arms(passed cert) which are similar to those and still run genuine bushes and give you caster correction for suspension lift.

Yeah Superior Engineering ones will be what I will get if these end up being not cert worthy.

Just the fact that they are about twice the price puts me off.

1 hour ago, KKtrips said:

Probably installed badly or misaligned side to side, no reason they should wear any faster that I know of

Nope just having less meat on one side means they don't last that long

1 hour ago, WhangareiKE70 said:

Yeah Superior Engineering ones will be what I will get if these end up being not cert worthy.

You might want to check 

That trademe link could only be for one radius arm?

11 hours ago, Kimjon said:

As mentioned usually the plates are fitted on the floor which is probably the easiest way. I have done a couple where plates have been welded in to the bottom of the pillar, which looks neater, but you would need to talk to your certifier first to make sure hes happy with that, as it's not in the book . And it wrecks the paint 

There is a recipe in the ccm which allows for welding an upper pillar anch in the pillar

• Thanks 1