For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

On 23/05/2015 at 17:24, cletus said:

line lock has to have a main on- off switch, with a light to tell you its is on, and a momentary switch to operate the line lock.

Sorry just managed to find this.  Is this still correct and passes WOF standards?

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

I'm struggling to find the VIN on my Commer Van. The engineer needs a pic of it for LVV cert. I can find it on carjam and I can find the chassis and body number but the VIN is eluding me thus far. 

If it turns out I can't find it, am I going to have to drag it down to VINZ? Lord help me...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dmulally said:

Hi All,

I'm struggling to find the VIN on my Commer Van. The engineer needs a pic of it for LVV cert. I can find it on carjam and I can find the chassis and body number but the VIN is eluding me thus far. 

If it turns out I can't find it, am I going to have to drag it down to VINZ? Lord help me...

Only first registered post 1 April 1994 will have a VIN. I would have though that a chassis number would be OK for certificaction?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nominal said:

Only first registered post 1 April 1994 will have a VIN. I would have though that a chassis number would be OK for certificaction?

That is what I thought but apparently I need a replacement one if I cannot find it. Which I cannot. 

Carjam says what it is here:

https://www.carjam.co.nz/car/?plate=bbq488&fbclid=IwAR2q5IfEEX5J1-MyxtPaBPMoFgXY2lnr-erYAs4I6vSZzoNCDV82Vk3dnt4

And going to the NZTA site is as erotic as it is helpful and seems to be aimed at repairers who can access their system. 

According to carjam, it has had a vin number allocated to that vehicle so it should have a vin tag on it somewhere 

Have a look on the chassis rail around the rh side at the front 

Does it have a vin number etched on to the rear window?

Also look under the carpet around the front seats if it has it  

• Like 1

Are you suggesting that your car not having a VIN plate is a cert process problem? Sounds like it will be an easy fix when inspected.

Why have you needed so many inspections?

Local bogans likely don't cert their cars as they are poorly done and won't pass. Cert process doesn't even seem hard, going by my chats with people getting them done.

When we do a cert check the first thing we have to do is make sure the ID of the vehicle matches what it should be etc

If any vin number or chassis tag has been tampered with or removed or recorded incorrectly the vehicle has to get referred to a tsda to get confirmation that it's all correct

Unfortunately even something like removing and refitting the vin tag to paint the engine bay seems to tar the vehicle with the same brush as if it's been stolen and new tags put on  

• Like 1

Yeah my post won't make much sense due to dmulally removing the whole content of their post.

Good job.

As for this thread. If you cert a car with factory seats, can you change seats at a later stage without re-cert? Situation would be aftermarket rails specific to car with matching aftermarket seats. Which as far as I know is fine to do without cert. Just wondering if cert locks seat changes out or not. Cheers

On 02/08/2019 at 17:39, ajg193 said:

Head down to the EPS Library at UC, they'll probably have a copy on the shelf that anyone can access free. /edit clicking that link of yours gives the file anyway...

Double edit, your copy is superseded. I have the latest copy. I'll see if I can PM it to you.

Me too please if it doesn't get you sent on a date with Bubba.  thanks. 

22 hours ago, Bling said:

Situation would be aftermarket rails specific to car with matching aftermarket seats. Which as far as I know is fine to do without cert. Just wondering if cert locks seat changes out or not. Cheers

Watch for seats where the seatbelt anchorage is on the seat rails rather than directly seatbelt base to floor ... change to seatbelt anchorage = cert, and there's some severely dodgy aftermarket seat rails with seatbelt anchorage points vaguely welded onto the runners, mostly holding together with hopes and prayers.

• Like 2

Seats and belts would be separate, just wondered about the cert rules as they lock the car down pretty hard once plated. 

More of a hypothetical as I have no plans to change seats currently (no money for that carry on). 

• Haha 1

Yup, I was trying to avoid answering that ;)

For a really by the words WOF person, they'd be able to fail the car at WOF.  So if you want to be 100% argumentproof, keep it matching your plate.

In reality, it's likely you'd keep on getting WOF's anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Haha fair enough, i'm not worried about WOF inspectors so much, more so what the LVVTA say the rule is. You guys do make the rules after all :P Just a bit of a confusing one for me as swapping the seats in without a cert would still pass a WOF. So just wondering what the threshold is once certed, for changes like that.

Swapping wheels to other sizes is an easy one, as it can change the cars handling no doubt. So I get the rules around that, with the sizes stamped to the plate. But swapping in seats better suited to holding you in place, doesn't seem like it would be a safety issue. Assuming I am buying reputable branded components. 

I guess because people would buy  "replica" Chinesium seats, made out of wobble and bend, bolted up badly, to shoddily welded together seat mounts, with the seatbelt anchorage held on with seagull droppings.   So while it is unlikely to make the car crash, it will have a negative outcome on safety if the car drove into something*

*worst case scenario presented because it's more entertaining, while also containing elements of facts.

• Like 2

So here's my dilemma:

I have a mate who bought a Mazda Bus converted to a camper. It's of a size it needs COF not WoF but can be car licenced. He want's to install a roof basket. He found something along the lines of this, maybe a bit bigger, with some side walls.. https://www.vehicle-accessories.com.au/image/cache/catalog/42105B-Pioneer-Platform-00-900x540.jpg

Now the bus is wider, and the gutter has an awning, so it can't mount to the gutters, even if we got special brackets fabbed up. 

Is brackets welded to the roof (which we'll reinforced underneath) ok?

Is making brackets screwed to the reinforcing underneath ok?