For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

1 hour ago, Adoom said:

1 and 3 are probably in here: https://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/rules/vehicle-lighting-2004/

2. My Starlet hasn't had any side mirrors for years. Hasn't been mentioned in two certs and numerous WOFs. It's kind of annoying not having one when changing lanes. 

I just re read that page and it does not mention the minimum height for reflectors, I only read that in the CCM.  As I read it it does not exclude suing the front indicator lamps at the front as position lamps as either can be amber... but I am still unsure

Thanks for the side mirror info.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So they allow it for the rear... I think I have a good case for the front being less of a safetly issue.... ?

"A direction-indicator fitted to the rear of a low volume vehicle may be either: (a) an individual item of lighting equipment; or (b) incorporated within the rearward-facing position-lamp and stop-lamp circuits, so that when in operation, the directionindicator illuminates or cancels, as necessary, the rearwardfacing position-lamp and stop-lamp. NOTE: A direction-indicator incorporated within the rearward-facing position-lamp is the standard system that has been used in the American automobile industry for over 50 years."

• 2 weeks later...

I think I am starting to get my head around the cert process a little.   I have bought and read and re read the CCM and read a bunch of the regulations online.

One question that is not specifically answered in the book....

I have a convertible MX5 from 1990. I have turned it into a Speedster, fully open car with body mods and an Alfa Romeo 3.0 V6. 

I am looking at cutting the screen off the car at the bottom of the A pillars.  Then cutting a screen frame from an identical donor car including a lot of the body with it so I have overlap of parts where the screen bottom of the donor parts meets the body.  Then refitting the full screen and screen frame at more of an angle.... by cutting away material until it all fits and welding it back together with extra bracing to the welded area.  Same screen.   Other than doing the work in a workman like fashion and documenting the work and maybe even getting the cert chap to pop to the shed to take a look when needed to see how it's going to go back together.... what else do I need to consider??

The seat will be lowered so head to screen distance will be safe....

Thanks.

Gavin

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Where's the standards / requirements for ewof for caravan please? I can see many docs saying 'you must have one' but none syring what the the technical requirements are (other than it's 'proscribed work''). Thanks.

Basically I wanna see what's the minimum needed to get power into a van for a PC, lamp and a heater. Cheers

edit: @kempy?

Update, it's a joint AU/NZ standard, $123 to download here in NZ:

or at https://vicparks.com.au/app/uploads/2016/02//as3001_2001-electrical-installations-relocatable-premises.pdf

26 minutes ago, h4nd said:

Where's the standards / requirements for ewof for caravan please? I can see many docs saying 'you must have one' but none syring what the the technical requirements are (other than it's 'proscribed work''). Thanks.

You could try reading on https://www.electricalforum.co.nz

Prepare for lots of this sort of thing:

Capture.PNG

• Like 1

7 hours ago, h4nd said:

Basically I wanna see what's the minimum needed to get power into a van for a PC, lamp and a heater. Cheers

edit: @kempy?

Update, it's a joint AU/NZ standard, $123 to download here in NZ:

or at https://vicparks.com.au/app/uploads/2016/02//as3001_2001-electrical-installations-relocatable-premises.pdf

Head down to the EPS Library at UC, they'll probably have a copy on the shelf that anyone can access free. /edit clicking that link of yours gives the file anyway...

Double edit, your copy is superseded. I have the latest copy. I'll see if I can PM it to you.

• Thanks 1

If I have a cracked lens of say, parking light (or any other lights except head light), is it acceptable to glue or sealant repair it?

Virm states the following for rejection:

• A lens is missing, or has a hole, crack or other damage that allows moisture or dirt to enter.
  • The light is not diffuse and/or is altered, eg due to damage or modification

I take the intent of the rule is to prevent non-diffused light output and nil foreign object ingress (which would degrade the light output).

Therefore, if the repair of the crack with glue (or similar) does not significantly affect the light diffusion or foreign object ingress, it should be ok, IMO.

What are the opinions of the learned inspectors (or anyone else) amongst us?

Cheers.

• Like 1

Soooo i did ask somwhere here a long time back regarding line locks, turned out they are legal but came down to how its wired and a light.  I tried a search but cant find it now.

Could you please update me clint? In a few weeks ill finally be able to shift the sack down to me to finish and start enjoying it.

Thank