For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Btw a work lamp is not a cosmetic lamp

Cosmetic lamp means any lamp that is not listed in Table 4-15-1.

Table 4-15-1. Lamps that are not cosmetic lamps

Lamps covered in the VIRM

Other lighting equipment not requiring inspection

Headlamps

Stop lamps

High-mounted stop lamps

Direction indicator lamps

Position lamps
(includes side-marker lamps and end-outline marker lamps)

Rear-registration-plate illumination lamps

Rear reflectors

Fog lamps

Daytime running lamps

Cornering lamps

Reversing lamps

PSV interior lamps

Work lamps

Interior lamps
Designed to illuminate the interior of the vehicle for the convenience of passengers

Flashing or revolving beacons

Illuminated vehicle-mounted signs
Includes PSV destination signs, taxi signs and variable message signs operated by enforcement officers, under a traffic management plan or permitted by other legislation

A light source that is a necessary part of equipment required or permitted by any enactment to be fitted to a vehicle
Includes LEDs that indicate status on eRUC labels

On 10/06/2019 at 14:04, Tender Raisin said:

Can you tow a car with no WOF or registration behind a car? Or does this come into a trailer category and you need WOF & registration?

Scenario. Work is having a track day at Ruapuna Raceway, 10min from my house. To Hire a trailer for the day is $250. Just looking for other options.

https://www.nzta.govt.nz/assets/resources/factsheets/27/docs/27-exempt.pdf

Using an unregistered vehicle on any other road Using an unregistered vehicle on any road other than a private road is illegal. However, if you’re fined, you may have a defence. It’s your responsibility to prove that you’re entitled to use an unregistered vehicle in that situation. You’ll have a defence if the vehicle is:

edit snip

• a motor vehicle normally propelled by mechanical power that is being temporarily towed (one time, not regularly) without the use of its own power

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Mof said:

Apparently two spot lights or two light bars are ok on high beam as they are symmetrical... 

I put a piece of black tape down the middle of mine at wof time, old mate didn't see the joke

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Have a look at wof rules but not clear. Rear quarter windows, can you replace them with composite? I seem to recall aaaages ago a friend registered their car as a van or something then suddenly it opened up options for putting blackout vinyl on the rear side and rear window as they pleased. Figured if that were true, then maybe could make a fibreglass plug for them instead.

• Like 1

Hello, 

I'm making some engine mounts and I'm aware that for cert, I need some sort of restraint on the mount. So that if the rubber breaks, the engine cant move and jam the steering. 

I've bought the hobby car manual section on engine mounts but it didnt give me too much more advice on what I might do here. 

This is my current situation, Altezza Engine mount and Land Rover rubber mount:

64504854_595797817575568_7125831922135072768_n.jpg.d3c6ee9c23112e1f331ab50ee00ad77e.jpg

This is what I'm thinking, making it out of 100 CHS that comes up around the alloy part as well to stop it from being able to drop backwards. With a 4mm plate inside that it sits on.
Would this be alright? Or would it be better made from sections of flat plate? I'd like to make it as light as possible.

64424004_368544877129873_6600198482827411456_n.png.2f920d4ebc81028e4787322e4e2ba8af.png

Printed a test copy which surprisingly holds the engine weight fine made from plastic haha.
64224665_1012537522284960_591187778549579776_n.jpg.0e79cff2bf6c34b02be7749c38c1ee0d.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Roman said:

Hello, 

I'm making some engine mounts and I'm aware that for cert, I need some sort of restraint on the mount. So that if the rubber breaks, the engine cant move and jam the steering. 

I've bought the hobby car manual section on engine mounts but it didnt give me too much more advice on what I might do here. 

This is my current situation, Altezza Engine mount and Land Rover rubber mount:

64504854_595797817575568_7125831922135072768_n.jpg.d3c6ee9c23112e1f331ab50ee00ad77e.jpg

This is what I'm thinking, making it out of 100 CHS that comes up around the alloy part as well to stop it from being able to drop backwards. With a 4mm plate inside that it sits on.
Would this be alright? Or would it be better made from sections of flat plate? I'd like to make it as light as possible.

Printed a test copy which surprisingly holds the engine weight fine made from plastic haha.

Could you use a rubber mount that already has a locking system?

Another way could be to make a 'hook' that catches the engine mount bracket

• Like 1

On 12/06/2019 at 23:03, SiRge said:

Have a look at wof rules but not clear. Rear quarter windows, can you replace them with composite? I seem to recall aaaages ago a friend registered their car as a van or something then suddenly it opened up options for putting blackout vinyl on the rear side and rear window as they pleased. Figured if that were true, then maybe could make a fibreglass plug for them instead.

https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/introduction/inspection-and-certification-process/identifying-the-vehicle-class

I guess if you could make it meet the requirements to be NA class then that would be possible  

Can anyone tell me if i can cut/enlarge existing large holes in my radiator panel to fit inter cooler hoses though? heard no end of conflicting info. 

not really sure how im meant to get pipework out in front of the radiator if i cant. will need to be cert able. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a couple of bunny cert questions.... I have bought a copy of the Car Constructors Manual which I am currently reading and I am trying to get me head around some of the details as they relate to my build.  The car I am building is a 1990 MX5, with body mods smoothing out the body and getting rid of lots of body lines, lowered a small amount on coil overs, fully open Speedster with a 3.0, 12 valve Alfa Romeo V6 driving the rear wheels through a MX5 .

1. Is there any leeway with the minimum height for rear reflectors on a car?   I read in a couple of places that 250mm off the ground was a min, but I would like to go lower.... 

2. With a fully open car (Speedster with not even a soft top) with a good central mirror do I still need a side mirror on the drivers side? 

3. I have headlights (pop up) and one pair of front indicator lights.  Can those indicator lights double as park/position lights?  Normal indicators when the lights are off. Both on when position lights are needed then changing to one side off and one side flashing when indicating??

• Like 1

12 hours ago, gavinnz said:

I have a couple of bunny cert questions.... I have bought a copy of the Car Constructors Manual which I am currently reading and I am trying to get me head around some of the details as they relate to my build.  The car I am building is a 1990 MX5, with body mods smoothing out the body and getting rid of lots of body lines, lowered a small amount on coil overs, fully open Speedster with a 3.0, 12 valve Alfa Romeo V6 driving the rear wheels through a MX5 .

1. Is there any leeway with the minimum height for rear reflectors on a car?   I read in a couple of places that 250mm off the ground was a min, but I would like to go lower.... 

2. With a fully open car (Speedster with not even a soft top) with a good central mirror do I still need a side mirror on the drivers side? 

3. I have headlights (pop up) and one pair of front indicator lights.  Can those indicator lights double as park/position lights?  Normal indicators when the lights are off. Both on when position lights are needed then changing to one side off and one side flashing when indicating??

1 and 3 are probably in here: https://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/rules/vehicle-lighting-2004/

2. My Starlet hasn't had any side mirrors for years. Hasn't been mentioned in two certs and numerous WOFs. It's kind of annoying not having one when changing lanes. 

• Like 2

Wof rules for mirrors.

pre 2000 you must have interior OR right mirror.

post 2000 you must have both.

If you have tints you need both side mirrors.

https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/general/vision/rear-view-mirrors

https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/general/vision/glazing

see tables and images

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1