For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

I think I've asked this before,

but who whom.do I write to get a fuck up in the. Motor registry corrected? 

The papers for one of  my datto states that the chassis number is j15xxxxxxxx

and the engine number is j15 [same as above]

the body tag obviously has the correct chassis number on it.  And sooner or later it will be prudent to get it rectifiedin the system.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, RUNAMUCK said:

I think I've asked this before,

but who whom.do I write to get a fuck up in the. Motor registry corrected? 

The papers for one of  my datto states that the chassis number is j15xxxxxxxx

and the engine number is j15 [same as above]

the body tag obviously has the correct chassis number on it.  And sooner or later it will be prudent to get it rectifiedin the system.

I had an error between chassis number in the system and actual chassis number, something like a 1 and 7 mix up, man at the testing station was being a dick about it, but his boss took the papers, walked into the office and came back job done.

I have no idea what the actual process is other than it is possible.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NickJ said:

I had an error between chassis number in the system and actual chassis number, something like a 1 and 7 mix up, man at the testing station was being a dick about it, but his boss took the papers, walked into the office and came back job done.

I have no idea what the actual process is other than it is possible.

Same here. Cert plate and chassis plate matched, but number in system was wrong. Obviously a transcription error. I'd noticed it at one point, then forgot about it for ages. VTNZ guy also noticed and said it had to be fixed. He sorted it out. I think he took some photos and filled out a form for me. I don't think it cost anything. 

I emailed nzta when my impala was listed at 6 cylinder engine size, but was a V8. I took a photo of the chassis tag which had a "x" in it, which denotes factory V8 in Chevrolet's chassis code, as well as the details on how to decode the chassis numbers and they emailed back saying all done! Easy as that.

• Like 1

Sometimes it's a piece of cake to get details changed

Other times it can be a major , I've got someone who I certed a car for, it had one extra letter in the chassis tag that wasn't on landata 

When he tried to get it changed it turned into a big drama as someone had removed the tag at some point to paint the engine bay and it turned into a big 'is this the right car for the tag' problem

It's been ongoing for nearly a year now  

• Sad 1

I shouldnt have that issue. 
no way the engine number and the chassis number should be the same. Id say some fucktard wof guy has looked at the tag not hard enough, and entered the engine number, instead of the chassis number.

Years ago when I took the MS65 through VTNZ they said the chassis numbers didn't match, so I went to Toyota and they had a look and go "meh?" And wrote me a note stating a mixup at the factory (NZ new) and VTNZ were all happy.

Had a look at the numbers myself a bit later and couldn't find any discrepancy, everything matched fine. Stuffed if I know what they were on about, but now I have a handy note if I ever wanna swap chassis / tags.

• Like 2

What is acceptable to make a brake caliper out of? 

Does it have to be mild steel? Or can I use aluminium? I already have some aluminium bar stock that might do....

I made a scribble of what it might look like.

46461381_Caliperbracket.jpg.4fc3dfe84b96834f2e82ca0cae1f6d8b.jpg

The thin section will be as thick as the original Triumph caliper lugs. At least 12.5mm I suspect.

Can I weld it? IE: make a flat one with spacers welded to it.

Hub and caliper look like this.

20190608_163816.thumb.jpg.07729489da33dafb0335ce3117221a1f.jpg

20190608_163753.thumb.jpg.241cda70defbfbe500b7965592a1e2ca.jpg

Can you tow a car with no WOF or registration behind a car? Or does this come into a trailer category and you need WOF & registration?

Scenario. Work is having a track day at Ruapuna Raceway, 10min from my house. To Hire a trailer for the day is $250. Just looking for other options.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Tender Raisin said:

Can you tow a car with no WOF or registration behind a car? Or does this come into a trailer category and you need WOF & registration?

Scenario. Work is having a track day at Ruapuna Raceway, 10min from my house. To Hire a trailer for the day is $250. Just looking for other options.

Reckon it will be fine.

Have done this before, possibly 15 years ago, and cop pulled us over thinking car at front was just slow and holding up traffic. Was real apologetic when he realised we were towing. He stopped the traffic so we could pull back out.

I have, 3 years ago, A-framed starlet with no wof or rego, but it did have plates. Pretty sure I called the police and asked if it was okay beforehand. Guy was totally not fussed and told me to just do it. I did hook up a cable to the trailer plug so the towed cars rear lights worked.   

What are the rules around footspace for seats? My truck project has a rear 3 seater bench, but the middle seat will end up with an engine cover taking up all the space. Should I swap the bench out for two folding singles?

On 10/06/2019 at 14:04, Tender Raisin said:

Are we talking full on race spec, or could it potentially pass a WOF?

Just driving to get a WOF, officer.

15 hours ago, Bling said:

Are we talking full on race spec, or could it potentially pass a WOF?

Just driving to get a WOF, officer.

its loud and quite low (adjustable suspension) - sticks out as well. Also hasn't had a wof in over 10 years. So im not keen to talk to Mr officer about why i am driving it.

• Like 1

https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/general/lighting/cosmetic-lamps

Having trouble making sense of the virm in regards to led spot lights and light bars. 

I'd like to put a light bar on the front of my roof tent, but it looks like I can't switch it from high beam? 

The table also doesn't let you mount a lightbar facing forward, going by the table. Am I reading it wrong? 

You're describing a work lamp. It can be mounted in any way you want, as long as it isn't switched by the same switch as any compulsory lamp.

I'm also pretty sure you aren't supposed to use work lamps on the road

• Like 2