For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it's that kind of misinformation that sees trademe and other sellers riddled with ignorance about what's required or not required for certification.  Oh my mate said it was fine and didn't require cert and he's a wof mechanic for Toyota...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

He is right though. First dude I took my car to for a wof went fine tooth comb on it, apart from the many many other issues, one was it needs a cert for the 1600cc as it deffiantly wasn't a 1200 and more.

Also @scooters heaps of people run 2-3inch beams without a cert, unless you know, most get away with it. The only really narrow car I've see in nz was a white bug on BRMs, pretty sure it was certed, anyway doesn't really answer your question but good to sharn.

I find with the 63, ground clearance is more of a issue, I've got a stock width beam and no drop spindles, and the beam is about 90mm off the deck. If i go over the speed bumps at work any faster than a crawl, the back of my front fenders get smashed, I would like to drop it one more inch.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, 63Ragtop said:

He is right though. First dude I took my car to for a wof went fine tooth comb on it, apart from the many many other issues, one was it needs a cert for the 1600cc as it deffiantly wasn't a 1200 and more.

Also @scooters heaps of people run 2-3inch beams without a cert, unless you know, most get away with it. The only really narrow car I've see in nz was a white bug on BRMs, pretty sure it was certed, anyway doesn't really answer your question but good to sharn.

I find with the 63, ground clearance is more of a issue, I've got a stock width beam and no drop spindles, and the beam is about 90mm off the deck. If i go over the speed bumps at work any faster than a crawl, the back of my front fenders get smashed, I would like to drop it one more inch.

haha I'm sure you know about the Jeen's bug that was built and sold by Marco a while back ? 

http://fueltank.cc/blog/1974-jeans-beetle

Thing is dope. Love the cosmic rims. Thats what id build if I find another late model standard

• Like 1

Crazy dutchies.Ah, air ride. That's a whole nother cert issue, has anyone ever built a air ride bug in NZ and got it legal? The shock mounts on vw's aren't really designed to carry the whole weight of the car? Which is what happens if you remove the torsion bars like people seem to do overseas.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 63Ragtop said:

Crazy dutchies.Ah, air ride. That's a whole nother cert issue, has anyone ever built a air ride bug in NZ and got it legal? The shock mounts on vw's aren't really designed to carry the whole weight of the car? Which is what happens if you remove the torsion bars like people seem to do overseas.

Actually..

That's exactly right. And something I never thought of. Shit

• Sad 1

On 11/05/2019 at 23:09, cletus said:

So If I read that right,
a valiant which began life as a 245, but was swapped with all the parts from a 318 car. And only has headers, a 4bbl, and "the cam is stock sir I swear it". (to be fair it doesnt have a ropey idle) wouldnt need a loop? (I could dyno it, then show a cert guy the sheet, vs the factory rating of "230hp")

All pie in the sky stuff becuase 

A), I probably wont bother certing it anyway. And

B ) I ll probably never finish it anyway. 

• Like 2

On ‎12‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 21:19, rusty360 said:

@cletus

Hey Mr Cletus, How bigger doubler plate do i need to add a middle seat belt to these existing mounts for the outside seats.there is currently a shitty white one bolted on underneath the outside ones. or is this not legal? and it would require its own doubler mount? they currently just have a big washer behind them which was normal back in the day I think. Its going to be for a spog seat as junior has become interested in car shows. 

I also need to add a tether bolt for the seat and there bugger all to fix the bolt to. 63 EH wagon. I was going to add a removable bar between the two seat belt bolts on the back of the wheel arches to mount the car seat tether off, thoughts around this?

A couple of pics to show what I mean hopefully.

Thanks for ya help!!!!

20190512_191914_resized.jpg

20190512_192102_resized.jpg

20190512_192217_resized.jpg

you will need to fit a separate set of anchorages for the center belt. 

it gets tricky with the other belt mounts because they were done so long ago, they probably pre date the cert requirement, but proving that will be near impossible if theres no declaration, so it will be better to re do all the anchorages as per the standard, and cert it

https://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/standards/LVVTA_STD_Seatbelts_& Seatbelt_Anchorages.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎12‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 22:34, kws said:

So in my case, the engine is literally on the 50% increase mark (190hp to 286hp), but the drive shaft is from the M3 (and is labeled as such on the shaft). No added turbos etc, just more NA power. Still able to scrape by without one?

if its a m3 engine and m3 box and matching m3 driveshaft and its not modified and you can prove it,  correct.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎13‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 19:50, scooters said:

This is just a chat question not i'm doing it tomorrow kinda deal. 

We have seen VW bug's with narrowed front ends. You can take a abritory inch or 2 or you can go full bat shit crazy 10-14" Narrow. As far as you can before the Shock mounts rub the body. 

Where do we with our rules draw the line? IS there a % of track front to back that you must stay within ? Or is it just a matter of judgement on the certifier ?

cheers Scott.

there is a track width requirement

Wheel track 
2.2(7) A low volume vehicle that has four wheels and tyres, must have a front wheel track, measured from centre to centre of the tyre treads, that is within 20% of the rear wheel track. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On ‎17‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 15:26, Casper said:

If a car has a 350 in it already certed,will it have to be rec-certed for a 383 and tunnelram? 

Also would the 383 be a direct bolt in on the original mounts? 

Thanks guys.

legally, yes.  

40 minutes ago, RUNAMUCK said:

So If I read that right,
a valiant which began life as a 245, but was swapped with all the parts from a 318 car. And only has headers, a 4bbl, and "the cam is stock sir I swear it". (to be fair it doesnt have a ropey idle) wouldnt need a loop? (I could dyno it, then show a cert guy the sheet, vs the factory rating of "230hp")

All pie in the sky stuff becuase 

A), I probably wont bother certing it anyway. And

B ) I ll probably never finish it anyway. 

probably easier and quicker to fit a loop, than fluff around proving you have fitted a 318 shaft that was out of a factory 318 car then pay someone for a dyno run

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1