For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Two questions. Ill need to cert my car soon,

Do I need driveshaft hoops for my car? E36 328i auto with M3 engine and manual conversion. Using all factory gear. The driveshaft would have to drop through a heat shield and exhaust before it could get to the ground. Not my car, but same setup
20525384_10154682460806437_8130847112235

Do i need a cert for fitting recaro seats to the car (recaro seats on NZKW rails)? I know you do for changing the mounting point of the lower seatbelt buckle, could I mount the buckle to the trans tunnel now, with the correct plates etc, have the car certed, and then fit recaros later after its been certed?

Won't need a loop/s  if it's all factory bmw stuff that bolts in

Seats you'd be better off to put the recaro ones in on the rails you want to use and do the anchorages as required and just get it certed once properly  

• Thanks 1

Thanks. Awesome on the loops, makes life easier.

Im not 100% on whether i want to go with recaros or not yet, but will need to get the car certed anyway, which is kinda why i was thinking of relocating the belts but using standard seats as it would give me the option down the track to change if i wanted to.

A mate of mine is a fairly tall fella and keeps breaking/bending factory seat sliders due to always having the seat all the way back. Car is a FWD Trueno.

Would repositing the factory seat mounts be ok for cert? The front of the seat mounts on a brace from the sill to the tunnel thats spot welded. The outer rear mount is a small bracket thats spot welded to the sill and for the inner rear mount theres a captive nut on the tunnel (probably the easiet one of all to reposition using doubler plates etc)

On 08/05/2019 at 21:09, cletus said:

Won't need a loop/s  if it's all factory bmw stuff that bolts in

Really?

I've got a S13 Silvia that I converted ca18de to the sr20det. The sr came from a factory s13 and the conversion uses all factory parts. I was still under the impression I'd need driveshaft hoops for cert. PS, haven't been for cert because project lyfe.

If you could prove that you have used the turbo spec drive shaft and it's a bolt in and not modified and the engine doesn't produce more than 50% more power than it did when it was in the s13 to start with  

I don't see how it couldn't meet the 'interchangeable drive shafts' part 

• Thanks 1

On 09/05/2019 at 15:57, CorollaGT said:

A mate of mine is a fairly tall fella and keeps breaking/bending factory seat sliders due to always having the seat all the way back. Car is a FWD Trueno.

Would repositing the factory seat mounts be ok for cert? The front of the seat mounts on a brace from the sill to the tunnel thats spot welded. The outer rear mount is a small bracket thats spot welded to the sill and for the inner rear mount theres a captive nut on the tunnel (probably the easiet one of all to reposition using doubler plates etc)

Yep do able if it's all done correctly

@cletus

Hey Mr Cletus, How bigger doubler plate do i need to add a middle seat belt to these existing mounts for the outside seats.there is currently a shitty white one bolted on underneath the outside ones. or is this not legal? and it would require its own doubler mount? they currently just have a big washer behind them which was normal back in the day I think. Its going to be for a spog seat as junior has become interested in car shows. 

I also need to add a tether bolt for the seat and there bugger all to fix the bolt to. 63 EH wagon. I was going to add a removable bar between the two seat belt bolts on the back of the wheel arches to mount the car seat tether off, thoughts around this?

A couple of pics to show what I mean hopefully.

Thanks for ya help!!!!

20190512_191914_resized.jpg

20190512_192102_resized.jpg

20190512_192217_resized.jpg

23 hours ago, cletus said:

If you could prove that you have used the turbo spec drive shaft and it's a bolt in and not modified and the engine doesn't produce more than 50% more power than it did when it was in the s13 to start with  

I don't see how it couldn't meet the 'interchangeable drive shafts' part 

So in my case, the engine is literally on the 50% increase mark (190hp to 286hp), but the drive shaft is from the M3 (and is labeled as such on the shaft). No added turbos etc, just more NA power. Still able to scrape by without one?

• Like 1

This is just a chat question not i'm doing it tomorrow kinda deal. 

We have seen VW bug's with narrowed front ends. You can take a abritory inch or 2 or you can go full bat shit crazy 10-14" Narrow. As far as you can before the Shock mounts rub the body. 

Where do we with our rules draw the line? IS there a % of track front to back that you must stay within ? Or is it just a matter of judgement on the certifier ?

cheers Scott.

yBiXEID.jpg

OaU1eMq.jpg

On 12/05/2019 at 21:19, rusty360 said:

@cletus

Hey Mr Cletus, How bigger doubler plate do i need to add a middle seat belt to these existing mounts for the outside seats.there is currently a shitty white one bolted on underneath the outside ones. or is this not legal? and it would require its own doubler mount? they currently just have a big washer behind them which was normal back in the day I think. Its going to be for a spog seat as junior has become interested in car shows. 

I also need to add a tether bolt for the seat and there bugger all to fix the bolt to. 63 EH wagon. I was going to add a removable bar between the two seat belt bolts on the back of the wheel arches to mount the car seat tether off, thoughts around this?

A couple of pics to show what I mean hopefully.

Thanks for ya help!!!!

20190512_191914_resized.jpg

20190512_192102_resized.jpg

20190512_192217_resized.jpg

For your tether point, the section of the floor between the back of the seat and the lift out to get to the spare wheel, has a frame under it. Here is a photo of my EJ through the side window. It is good and solid, made up of 2 pieces so drilling and adding a crush tube and it will be fine. This is probably stronger than the parcel shelf in most sedans.

1537870849_EjSupportpanel.jpg.53a8e004044206d404804d419fdee690.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Casper said:

If a car has a 350 in it already certed,will it have to be rec-certed for a 383 and tunnelram? 

Also would the 383 be a direct bolt in on the original mounts? 

Thanks guys.

Definitely recert. 

A 383SBC is just a 350 with a different crank isn't it? So should bolt in. 

• Like 1